MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

158 years ago in 1861, Le Galion S.A.E.M. (Martinique) was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:48 AM   #1
Mr Fjeld

Default Increasing interest for rum?

Think I read somewhere that rum sales are increasing. Does that mean there are built any new distilleries and/or that mothballed distilleries are being put to good use again?
Mr Fjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

There have been a couple of new distilleries built in the Caribbean in the last ten years but there are an increasing number of rums being exported from the Caribbean. Additionally, there is a growing number of boutique, craft distilleries coming online in the US and several are producing rum. In a few years I expect the quality of product from these small distilleries will improve as aged stocks increase and the quality will continue to improve.

In the Caribbean, distillers are making investments in their aged stocks and more rum is being aged than ever before.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:24 AM   #3
Mr Fjeld

Thanks, that's great to know! Hopefully some of this will reach my shores.....
Not too many rums to chose from in Norway with the state owned monopoly although I did manage to order the Pampero Aniversario and the El Dorado 15 yesterday. I'm really looking forward to pick the bottles up next week!
Old 04-05-2007, 04:08 AM   #4
jlo mein

Not much available, yet you got Pampero Anniversario and El Dorado 15? I'd say that's a pretty good selection already.

I had to get a friend to import Pampero Anniversario for me from Chicago to Vancouver, Canada. I have yet to open the bottle...

I also missed out on my chance for El Dorado 15. It was available here a few months ago, but is now all sold out.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
Mr Fjeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
Not much available, yet you got Pampero Anniversario and El Dorado 15? I'd say that's a pretty good selection already.

I had to get a friend to import Pampero Anniversario for me from Chicago to Vancouver, Canada. I have yet to open the bottle...

I also missed out on my chance for El Dorado 15. It was available here a few months ago, but is now all sold out.
Hi jlo mein Yes, I'm very glad I managed to get hold of those two bottles. Still, I guess I have to wait untill next week to know for sure if the wine monopoly can get it from the importers...... I cross my fingers!
You canadians have a fairly similar wine & spirit monopoly like us in Norway right?
Old 04-06-2007, 06:43 AM   #6
jlo mein

In Canada it's rather complicated. Liquor importation is controlled on a Provincial basis (sub-national governments). So travelling around Canada, the liquor laws for sales can vary.

Here where I live (Vancouver, BC), it used to be just a straight government monopoly. Recently, private stores have been opened, but I don't know the regulations around it.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
Mr Fjeld

Ah, I see Let's hope the availability in your provins will be extensive in the future. Ours is getting better too.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
Don Piero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
In Canada it's rather complicated. Liquor importation is controlled on a Provincial basis (sub-national governments). So travelling around Canada, the liquor laws for sales can vary.

Here where I live (Vancouver, BC), it used to be just a straight government monopoly. Recently, private stores have been opened, but I don't know the regulations around it.
I've recently been told that the Nova Scotia Licquor Board has the largest selection of Rums in Canada. The LCB of Ontario has a poor selection as well having just dicontinued the sales of the El Dorado 21yo (they have 15yo) and the Pyrat Reserve XO. I have a buddy of a buddy in Logistics who is getting me some stock from Nova Scotia; the Ron Zacapa 23yo, the El Dorado 21yo and the Flor De Cana 15yo. Also, the tax system in the maritimes is different with the price on the El Dorado 21yo being about $35Cdn cheaper.
Don Piero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
Lew Barrett

I'm increasingly interested.

But I have bad news. This inevitably means that the supply of desireable bottlings will dry up, demand will spike, prices will rise and quality will eventually suffer. Every celebrity will have a rum brand; most will be undrinkable, but that won't stop them from asking the earth for them. The bandwagon brands will be discounted to amazing lows within a short span, but it will make things confusing for late adopters.

Eventually, the world will return to normal. I've seen this happen time and time again when I get a taste for something. Cigars, for one, although I've been smoking those since 1967, so I'm not responsible for Lone Wolf or Sinatra's brandings.
Lew Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
Edward Hamilton
Founder

You're right, to a degree. The good news is that the rum distilleries saw this coming more than 5 years ago and in spite of a number of boutique bottlers trying to cash in with the slickest marketing you've ever seen. There are, and will, good rums around for a long time. Sure some brands will be bought, the quality will be diluted and the marketers will move on, but behind the scenes, small brands will continue to grow and deliver quality products and they will continue to struggle for shelf space. Fortunately, the online store isn't burdened by shelf space, shelf talkers and the cost of sales people when the store is empty.

Unlike Scotch Whiskey, for example, rum is made around the world so the economics of the rum industry are very different than that of single malts or even American bourbons. As the price goes up, more rums will come to the market from more countries, something we're seeing more of every month.

And then there's the internet. Educated consumers are better consumers but spirits marketers have only begun to integrate this powerful tool into their marketing plans as well as they will in the future.

Stay tuned, there's a lot more coming, we haven't seen or tasted anything yet. Not all of the new rums will be great, but never before have we been able to share opinions, facts and reviews about these new spirits with like minded people.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions