MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

19 years ago in 2000, the Roig sugar factory in Yabucoa and the Coloso factory in Aguada, not far from where the first sugar cane had been brought to the island 385 years before, closed.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rhum Agricole

Fresh sugar cane juice rhum from the French islands.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
krustykrab

Default JM Rhums

Just saw an opportunity to purchase JM Rhum vieux VSOP agricole and/or JM Rhum vieux 1997 for $40/50 USD respectively.

Can't seem to find much info about them - have any of you all out there tried either? What are your impressions? How is the price?

Thanks for any thoughts!
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
Michael

I can't comment on the quaility of the Rhum J.M products from personal experience, but the price mentioned for the 1997 is quite excellent, while the price of the the VSOP is good, but not head-turning. The products from Rhumerie J.M are held in high esteem (e.g. both products mentioned were rated '93' by tastings.com) and there seems to be little reason to hesitate in their purchase.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
Hank Koestner

Krusty, I happen to have both of them. The VSOP price you show is about $10 to $12 cheaper, the 1997 price you show is $30 to $50 cheaper. In my opinion, they are both excellent agricoles for sipping. Both are rich and delicious examples of agricoles, and those prices are excellent, especially the 97.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
rumdog007

Yes, both are great agricoles. The 1997 is really in a league of agricoles that has few members. It's a spicy tasting rhum. With a touch of fruit and raisins on the nose, you'll want to savor the aroma for a lonnnnnggg time. It is a long, fiery finish. And, it's one rhum/rum that has a taste which sticks in my mind. I generally have to revisit a lot of rums before I can recall their character in my head. Not this one! I second Hank's pricing assessment.
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
Rum Runner

Just wondering here if the distributor in MA is discontinuing the line? That kind of price discount may indicate a shift.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
joergen

I would have bought them both at that price, just to test them. I haven't tried any JM as of yet. Available in Sweden at present is only Rhum J.M 1993 and 1995. The 1993 at about 130USD and the 1995 at about 115USD!
joergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
Hank Koestner

Yes, I have seen the 93 and 95 down in the Islands, and they were expensive there also. I imagine they are very good, but they can't be much better than the 97. Remember, it is not the year on the bottle, but the time in the barrel.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
the NOSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Koestner View Post
Yes, I have seen the 93 and 95 down in the Islands, and they were expensive there also. I imagine they are very good, but they can't be much better than the 97. Remember, it is not the year on the bottle, but the time in the barrel.
Hello Hank,
youґr right and wrong. JM produce only vintages. You can taste in every bottle (vintage) the style of the destillery, but it is in each bottling a little bit different. I taste the 94, 96, 97 and 92. But for me is the 1992 now one of the best. But youґll understand it depends in wich mood i am? ;-) The 92 is very expencive here too. It is round abot 70 euros more than the others... and this rums are not really cheap.

If you can taste the Rhum Blanc 160e Aniversaire, youґv got a very, very fruity Rhum Blanc! Fantastic! It is in my opinion one for sipping.

Best regards from Berlin
Kristina
Old 11-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #9
Hank Koestner

Thank you, Kristina. Here in the states our access to these agricoles are limited, so I search them out when I go to the Islands. I do understand that each vintage does have its own profile, but I was making a very general comparison, probably over simplifying it. The one rhum that they produce every year, if I am not mistaken, is the Reserve Speciale, which I can get here. I also have the Amber and the Blanc and the 97, but I don't think it is the same Blanc you refer to, so I will add the other to my list. I am an agricole lover, and I do envy the European access to agricole! If the dollar strengthens against the Euro this year, I intend to make a trip to Martinique and aquire as many as I can, even if I have to absorb the expense to ship them back. Most of my purchases have been on St. Barths, St. Martin, and Anguilla. Any info that you post on agricoles is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
martybmccabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post
Just wondering here if the distributor in MA is discontinuing the line? That kind of price discount may indicate a shift.
I know for a fact that their MA distributor is dropping the line. I don't know if it will end up at the other distributor in MA that carries some of Preiss' products.

JM Rhums are good/very good in my opinion, but not great.
martybmccabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole