MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

92 years ago in 1927, Industria Licorera de Caldas was established.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas

From real fruit to the worst synthetic flavors what do you like and how do you drink it?

Old 09-25-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
LBuddle

Default Whats the difference between Rum & Rhum??

I recently had a holiday in Bordeaux and while down there i brought myself a bottle of Rhum, I must say it tasted totaly different to the Rum in England. Why is this??

Lee.
LBuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Berbician

Your bottle of rhum was probably an "agricole". That means that it was made from sugar cane juice as opposed to molasses - hence the different taste.

You will find more information on rhum agricole in the agricole forum.
Berbician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
chrism76

Well maybe there's more to the mystery but from the little I know RHUM is the French spelling of RUM.
chrism76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

And that is the beginning of the story. To read more here's a link to Martinique on this site.

The French made rhum from molasses and rhum from sugar cane juice. This rhum is called rhum agricole and is very different from rhum, ron or rum made from molasses.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
LBuddle

Thank you all, Here is a link to the Bottle I had. I was not a lover of this type of taste, I is made of Sugar Cane Juice. Totally different to my type which is Woods 100, Lambs, Captain Morgans Etc....
http://www.charlosa.com/distilleries/rum/Negrita

Lee.
LBuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Jolipapa

The least that can be said is that you did not choose the best! Negrita is good to burn pancakes, nothing else, certainly not drinking.
The same maker do the Dillon white which is already much more drinkable, if you drink it the right way, in a planteur or a ti'punch, for what none of those you spelled (I like some of them also) is eligible.
Jolipapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Jolipapa

Ed, Martinique produces an excellent rhum, but the Guadeloupe also (including Marie-Galante), this is for West Indies, but you find excellent agricoles in la Réunion, Madagascar and Maurice (where St Aubin is world class!)
Old 10-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
Charlosa

Hi Lee,

As best as I can tell, Rhum Negrita is a blend of rhums from the French Caribbean. Unlike La Mauny, Clement, St James - to name but a few Rhum Agricole's - it does have a different taste. Almost like it's been introduced to charred barrels, but that's more of a guess rather than actual knowledge. However, as indicated by both Ed and Berbician, Agricole rum is made using sugar cane juice and generally doesn't get much aging, which gives it more of a raw and sweeter sugar cane taste. They also tend to be much higher proof in their alcohol content. Negrita is only 40% abv - many agricole rhums are around the 55% abv mark.

Personally I don't mind Negrita, although it's not one I'd drink neat, but more likely mixed with diet coke. Jolipapa's right though, there are better Agricole Rhums to drink. Having recently added a couple more bottles to the French Caribbean rhum's I've got, I'm looking to write a peice on the subject, although I'm currently a bit behind on everything including RumFest, so it may be a month or two before anything's posted to my site. If you're interested in having a read and you're on Facebook, Like www.facebook.com/rum.charlosa and keep an eye out for the article

Cheers
Charlosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolipapa View Post
Ed, Martinique produces an excellent rhum, but the Guadeloupe also (including Marie-Galante), this is for West Indies, but you find excellent agricoles in la Réunion, Madagascar and Maurice (where St Aubin is world class!)
I recently tasted St Aubin in London, and they and others make some great rums. It should be recognized that like rums made from molasses, not all agricole rhums are created equally.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
Jolipapa

Glad you do justice to St Aubin, Ed. A good introduction to agricoles.
I find it "lighter" than WI agricoles, less personality than say a Neisson, but excellent as a summer rum, I.E. one you can drink several ti punches, yet it is 50%.
A combava leaf (an indian ocean kind of lime) in the bottle adds a bit of sourness. Very refreshing with an ice cube.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas