MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

28 years ago in 1992, Lark Distillery was established on Tasmania.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:26 AM   #71
gatomalo

This is a fascinating and informative thread! I hope nobody minds me reviving it.

Unfortunately I don't have anything of real insight to add, except to say that I have in my rum cupboard an opened (Oct. 2007) bottle of Pampero Aniversario with less than an inch left in the bottom, which has remained untouched for the last 6 months. I will taste it this weekend and compare to a new unopened bottle, and I will report the results here.
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:12 AM   #72
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

From my experiences when I've compared fresh and old ones together the differences have been insignificant. I have two bottles of Cruzan Single Barrel (from the same barrel too I think) and I intend to let the drop in the other bottle oxidise for a while and then do a comparison with the fresh bottle. I'll edit the comparison to the existing cruzan review.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #73
Hours of Wealth

good advice from the TC, i had no idea the cork would possibly lead to detrementla effects, i have a few bottles with corks, namely my english harbour rum (which is decent, i just rarely drink it) and my new bottle of mount gay extra old, which i would like to keep as long as i can since i don't think its available in my area
Hours of Wealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #74
Hank Koestner

The inert gas seems to be working well. Still, I am going to continue to work on finishing bottles that get to half full. This year I will probably reduce what I have in half, and not open anything new until that is accomplished, unless I have to taste the rum for a panel.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #75
ademanizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Silvio View Post

Actually now that I think about it I once poured Jack Daniels into a pocket flask and left it there for a couple of days and it quickly lost its taste. I thought that was very weird. It had also changed color into pale brown. Needless to say I never put anything in that flask again.
You should never leave any liquor stored in a flask unless it is made of glass. The stainless taints alcohol
ademanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #76
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ademanizer View Post
You should never leave any liquor stored in a flask unless it is made of glass. The stainless taints alcohol
There are many different grades of stainless steel. In the distilling industry, stainless tanks are commonly used to store spirits. Stainless steel tanks are also commonly used in the blending process.

Bulk rums are commonly stored in stainless steel tanks for shipping.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #77
Duffman

I was opening a bottle of Angostura 1824 last night, and this thread came to mind.

As I peeled away the thick red waxy plastic seal from the top of the bottle, I thought about the possibility of re-sealing the bottle with wax. Now I'm not talking about doing this for my mixers or bottles that I would empty in a month or so, but I am talking about some of the more expensive sippers that are not available in Canada; that I would have to travel to replace.

Consider this: picture the old wax seals that were affixed to documents and to seal envelopes, some of which are also still used today by many professional practises. Could this material be placed over the cork of a bottle to provide an airtight seal?

I checked out wax seal suppliers on-line and it turns out that you can get the wax supplied in cartridges that fit standard glue guns. So, I'm picturing on the following day (don't mix rum and operating glue guns) melting the wax with the glue gun and letting it drip over the top of the bottle and around the neck and cork. Viola, you got a seal on the bottle. Of course, one would have to find the correct type of wax that would peel off easily, rather than crumble, so it does not fall into the bottle or remain as a residue.

Has anyone tried this, or considered trying this? Am I way out to lunch on this? I know it sounds kinda elaborate, but it could present a technique for reducing oxidaiton of rum in an open bottle?

Whadda ya think?

Duff
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #78
RonJames

Not knocking the idea Duff, Im just throwing out what comes to mind. As soon as you open the bottle fresh air would rush in, and then with the wax seal you'd be sealing it in. That being said if you look up Thomas Tew rum on either you tube or their homepage I believe my rum fogged memory remembers them dipping bottles into a pot of melted wax then letting them dry as they drip.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:54 PM   #79
Rx2010

I'm glad to have found this post, I was curious about how long a bottle would last once opened
Rx2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #80
ricoman1

Hi Ed,
Kind of new to the group...loved your info on storing rum.Have a question.If you DONT open the bottle and keep it sealed from factory,what would you say the shelf life is.I just purchased the Appleton 30 Year Old 250 Anniversary and cant decide if and when I will open it for a special occ. and sure dont want it to go bad on the shelf unopened...OR when we do open it.Any suggestions ?
THANKS and Happy Holidays to U and all in the group.
ricoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions

Tags
how long store rum , how to store rum , store rum