MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

14 years ago in 2006, Firefly Distillery LLC was established in Charleston County, South Carolina.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum & Cigars
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum & Cigars

Few things go together better than a glass of good rum and the right cigar, except maybe more rum.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
tym2relax

Default First Bottle of Pampero

After another fruitless search for El Dorado 15 I picked up my first bottle of Pampero Aniversario. I would like to get this rum off to a good start. I would love to hear your best cigar recommendation with this rum. Lew, are you out there?
tym2relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:34 AM   #2
Lew Barrett

Pampero will work with almost anything as it's incredibly versatile. You'll do fine with anything you enjoy that has some flavor. I've had a 1964 with it as well as one of those G belicosos I picked up and a St. Louis Rey corona especial, which is a smoke I enjoy as an everyday tosser. The 1964 was maybe just a touch more flavorful than the rum, but they're both so good, how could you go wrong? Ideally, I'd hit it with something just a bit more full than the G series. I suspect that box of V Torps will work in a few weeks. Go ahead and pick a bomb. It'll hold up. A Cuban would not be out of line, say a Punch Punch, if they would but let us do them or speak of them without retribution.
Let me know how it goes. I'm the world's biggest Pampero fan, as you know. Sadly, much as I love the stuff though, I think the ED works best with most of my full bodied cigars. I didn't start really liking ED15 until I was able to enjoy a smoke with it. Now, I treat it like...like....My Precious!

Last edited by Lew Barrett; 05-11-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Lew Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
tym2relax

Thanks Lew. I just received some Oliva V's yesterday but unfortunately they got squished a bit during transit. Very sad indeed. Luckily, the wrapper is ok and I can resuscitate.

I look forward to comparing the Pampero to my only favorite Zaya. I am just exploring the world of fine rum now and do date only tried the Zaya and Ron Barcelo Imperial. The Barcelo is going to take some time to appreciate. Much different than the Zaya.

Sooner or later I will get the ED 15 and find out myself what that is all about. In the mean time I will get to know this Pampero.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Hank Koestner

Pampero is another good cigar rum, and I find a medium to full bodied cigar that is not too big works well here. I find the Padilla 1932 a good match, and the 1948 and 68, all blends by Don Pepin.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Lew Barrett

Just to keep the roll going, I just finished a Tatuaje Habano VI robusto. A terrific cigar, rivals a Serie D IV, I think. I have the remains of a box of those, so will do some comparisons later and report.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
Hank Koestner

Both of you gentlemen keep hitting on most of my favorite cigars. I have a varity of sizes, 2 or 3 of each of the Tatuaje Havana and also the original brown label. I am a terrible singles buyer, so I always have a few of many cigars. If I find one that I really love, I buy a box, or split one. Of course, if I could buy Habanos, they would always be box or 10 pack purchases.
Lew, let us know what rums you find you like with these.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
tym2relax

Mother's Day was a busy day with family coming over for brunch. My wife, mom and mother in-law had a great day and when it was over and the house was cleaned up, it was time to relax. So, I turn on the Pens game (luckily I get it here in LA), crack open the Pampero and pour a few ounces into a glass, grab a Gurkha Legend and head out to the patio.

I try the Pampero before lighting up to discover what this rum is about. I smell mild sweetness, toffee and a bit of smoke? and light alcohol. The taste is also slightly sweet, not as much as the Zaya, but just right. I also notice coffee?, leather?, toffee. Hard for a new guy to discern, but know right away that I like this rum. It is very smooth and goes down almost too easily.

I sit back and get the cigar going and enjoy it all. Life is good. I think that the Legend was more to the medium side and was not a perfect match, but still a great experience. I really like this rum. It seems to get everything right. It's not too anything, just right. Like the Pens winning!! (don't care much for our Lakers)
Old 05-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
Lew Barrett

Pampero gets great reviews from everyone. Our Count's review, The Count on Pampero catches an aspect that eluded me...the subtle "varnish" undertone which is I think Pampero's only (modest) vice. However, that is not enough to put me off from what is, on a daily basis, probably the most versatile sipping rum in my collection. I reach for it whenever I can't think what else it is I want, and it almost never lets me down.

Hank: Cigarbid is an awful site. I'm sorry you reminded me of it in another post. Very dangerous, but it sure gets one's pricing chops up to speed in a hurry.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #9
tym2relax

The 'devil site' can be an awesome place to get deals once you get the hang of it.

Lew, do have some Zaya?
Old 05-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
Lew Barrett

I do, T2R. I have a relatively full bottle at the moment, and one in reserve. That's probably enough for now, but a second reserve bottle wouldn't be out of line under the circumstances. Unfortunately, it isn't available at retail in Washington, which means taking Draconian action, and I'm 86'd for the moment.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum & Cigars