MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

28 years ago in 1992, Lark Distillery was established on Tasmania.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:54 PM   #1
bunnyhugs

Default Best destinations for a rum holiday?

I am going to be going to Tales of the Cocktail in New Orleans in July. I was thinking that since New Orleans is practically in the Caribbean (kind of. . . ) I could consider extending the trip into a rum holiday.

Any suggestions on good Caribbean rum destinations?

I was thinking of Cuba (not simply for the rum but also because I'd really like to go there). Of course logistically that is a bit of a hassle from the United States but it can still be done. Of course if I did it the right way I could even select my US-Cuba transit point (i.e. the third country I pass through) based on how it ranks as a rum destination.

I guess I would be there late July-August. Hurricane season apparently. Could be good rum drinking weather.

I'm from New Zealand so I'm pretty ignorant about Caribbean travel, and travel agents here aren't too clued up about the region either. I guess New Zealanders go to the South Pacific when they want that type of holiday. So any suggestions are welcome.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
bunnyhugs

Oh. . .

I guess I should have posted this in the Caribbean forum.

Sorry.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

so many islands... Head for the Dominican Republic where most stuff is cheap, especially good rum and good food.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:02 AM   #4
bunnyhugs

Dominican Republic. . . OK.

Is Haiti too much of a mess to visit? The history of that country is fascinating, and I heard there were one or two good rums.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:15 AM   #5
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Haiti has a few good rums but from a tourist standpoint Haiti may be a little disappointing. The Dominican Republic has some good rums but you won't be able to see but one distillery if you're lucky. Depending on your travel connections I'd consider Barbados or Martinique, though the latter is basically closed the month of August as that's the time of most French holidays.

Barbados has three distilleries that you can see and a fourth is close to completion as a historic site. The rum is good, plentiful and accessible.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:32 AM   #6
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhugs View Post
Dominican Republic. . . OK. Is Haiti too much of a mess to visit? The history of that country is fascinating, and I heard there were one or two good rums.
If you visit Dominican Republic, it's easy to go across the island to Haiti, but their Barbancourt rum is readily available throughout the Caribbean -- without experiencing the uncomfortable condition of Haiti at this time.

You also have the option of visiting Cuba, but not from the US. If you go to the Bahamas, Cayman Islands or Jamaica, it's easy to get to Cuba. All are frequently recommended places to enjoy tropical sensations, good rum and "hot" women. Cuba and Dominican Republic are the cheapest, Cayman is the most expensive.

As Ed states, Barbados and Martinique are high on the list of rum enthusiasts. New Orleans has some direct flights, but only Miami has direct flights to every country in the western hemisphere every day.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:41 AM   #7
cigar-aficionado

Barbados is really good for rum lovers but Cuba is seriously different, nowhere else comes close in terms of rum, atmosphere, people etc. If you get a chance to see it now, before it changes for good, then do it. You really won't regret it
cigar-aficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:58 AM   #8
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

I heard Havana was a bit fake ie built for tourists but Varadero was a better place.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:32 AM   #9
Colin

I've never been to the Caribbean, but I've been to New Orleans a few times. It's insanely fun. The drinks aren't necessarily the best I've encountered, but the atmosphere makes up for it. Those frozen, sweet strawberry daiquiris (for $2) are almost tolerable on Bourbon Street at its humid high point. It's nice being able to walk around with your drink.

Better yet, there was one spot —*I think on Decatur Street near Jackson Square — where I got a drink called a French Quarter Quencher. It was very nice: 3 parts cranberry, 2 parts Absolut Mandrin and 1 part Malibu rum.
Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #10
Hank Koestner

There are so many choices for you. Barbados would be great. St Maarten/Martin could also be a choice, great beaches, lots of rum, and you could even find some agricole there. You could ferry over to Anguilla and St. Bart's. I have made this trip a couple of times before, and loved it.
The Islands at the top of my list are Martinique, Guadaloupe and Cuba.
I am sure there will be plenty of cold rum drinks for us to take the edge off the heat in New Orleans this July. I am looking forward to meeting all of you that are coming this year!

Last edited by Hank Koestner; 05-23-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Hank Koestner is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions