MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

120 years ago in 1900, the Simon distillery was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
GStone

Default Hello from a Seattle Distiller

Hello, and thanks for a wonderful rum information resource.

Some of you may know me as the maker of Marteau Absinthe, and know that I'm soon opening a distillery in Seattle, Gnostalgic Spirits, after having first produced Marteau in Switzerland and then Portland, OR. If you didn't, now you do!

Along with absinthe I plan to produce other historic-styled spirits, including rum. Everything will made using old-school low-tech equipment and historically authentic processes and ingredients.

I don't use a "hybrid" pot still with a column and all the modern attachments and doo-dads, I use a pot-still, custom-made to a 19th century design. And it works really well, too.

My original plan was to focus on rum as my primary product to support the more niche product, absinthe, which is my particular area of expertise. The Puget Sound region's maritime heritage made rum a sensible choice.

Unfortunately due to changes in WA liquor laws a few years ago, until there's a substantial sugar industry in WA state, that won't happen: in order to maintain the privileges of on-site sales and tastings, 51% of my product must be made with WA produce.

Any WA cane farmers should please contact me... but it's not very likely and I don't expect it.

Anyway, thanks for having me; I look forward to learning more from you all.

Cheers,
Gwydion Stone

Owner/Distiller
Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
920 South Holgate St, Seattle, WA
www.gnostalgicspirits.com

GStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Welcome to the forums, seems WA doesn't have a monopoly on seemingly, crazy alcohol laws. I look forward to your contributions to the forums.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
mac

Big Goverment is not kind to small business. The bigger the goverment the smaller the individual.
mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
Demomonkey

Even if there are no cane growers, is there anyone in WA producing molasses?

An extreme longshot, I know, but worth a try.
Demomonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
GStone

Thanks all.

Demonmonkey, I'm still learning about the sugar industry itself, but I'm not sure anyone transports cane juice that far to be processed. It start fermenting pretty quickly.

But even if the molasses was produced in WA, it still wouldn't qualify unless the cane was grown here. The law apparently isn't about supporting local businesses, it specifically about promoting WA agriculture. They even inserted the statement "Distilling is an agricultural practice."

In fact, if someone in Thailand (for extreme example) was making GNS from 100% WA grain, one could theoretically buy that, proof it down, bottle it as WA vodka and still qualify as a WA "craft" distillery. It's nuts. I had a guy from the LCB suggest that it would be okay to use WA-produced beet sugar to make rum with.
GStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
Rutherford H Mountbatten

There's a distillery here in Madison, WI -- Cane and Abe Freshwater Rum -- which uses sugar beets grown somewhere in the US. I haven't tried it yet and don't know where they get the sugar beets, but you'd have company making American rum from beets.
Rutherford H Mountbatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #7
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutherford H Mountbatten View Post
There's a distillery here in Madison, WI -- Cane and Abe Freshwater Rum -- which uses sugar beets grown somewhere in the US. I haven't tried it yet and don't know where they get the sugar beets, but you'd have company making American rum from beets.
According to the TTB Standards of Identity it's not rum if it's not made from a sugar cane product. An alcohol made from sugar beets cannot legally be called rum.
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
TriniRumCork

Add to that that making rum from beets is like making raspberry jam from blueberries.

Sugar cane has a specific flavor that is imparted to rum during the fermentation and distillation process that cannot be replicated by using beets....I find the very idea abhorrent.

Beet liquor might be excellent but it will NEVER be rum.

Btw try using turbinado sugar instead of white sugar and you'll see what I'm talking about.
TriniRumCork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
UnkleNeeko

Welcome to the forum neighbor!

I have looked into the possibility of making rum from locally grown sugarcane (juice or crystals) or a byproduct of sugar manufacturing (molasses) in WA..you are correct the law poses a large barrier to producing "rum" here. However, growing certain strains of sugar cane is theoretically possible in some parts of EWA (eastern Washington) but I have yet to hear of anyone pursuing it. Seattleites, as you know, are up for a challenge, so who knows..

Hope to meet you over a rum sometime soon!

Cheers,

Nick

The Rum Collective
www.therumcollective.com
UnkleNeeko is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions