MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

28 years ago in 1992, Lark Distillery was established on Tasmania.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses

All of the ingredients in a cocktail contribute to the experience.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
stockdoct

Send a message via Yahoo to stockdoct
Default coconut water = the next "energy drink"

Nice article in today's Wall St Journal about the "major" producers of coconut water going on the offensive; they're HEAVILY marketing their products among marathoners, triathletes, and TV home improvement shows.

This might make prices rise, it might make shortages ....... you may want to stock up.
stockdoct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

There are plenty of coconut growers in the tropics that would love to sell a lot more coconut water. One of the biggest problems is bottling it so that it lasts long enough for distribution.

Fresh coconut water is great, pasteurized coconut water doesn't have nearly as much health benefit. Few things are as refreshing as pouring some good rum into a cold nut and then sucking it through a straw. In Trinidad some vendors along Queen's park ice their nuts before selling them for less than a dollar a piece.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Few things are as refreshing as pouring some good rum into a cold nut and then sucking it through a straw. In Trinidad some vendors along Queen's park ice their nuts before selling them for less than a dollar a piece.
It's a common occurrence down here to see roadside vendors with a cooler full of pre trimmed iced coconuts just waiting for the final whack. The cost ranges from $1 to $1.50.

It's truly a sublime treat to enjoy a few of these at a beach outing.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
RonJames

I guess the nice thing about the marketing is that more places are stocking it, and the quality has gone up drastically. The sizes they have seem to work for me. There's a big container I can get for around $5 which I use to quench my thirst (nothing works better) and then a small 8oz which is perfect for a couple of drinks. As for rehydrating you I do believe it and I'd sooner use coconut water to rehydrate as opposed to gatorade. Some of the research articles I've read indicate that gatorade has TOO many electrolytes and just makes you more thirsty. This theory has merit in that anytime you watch an athlete downing gatorade it is usually diluted with 2x the usual water.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockdoct View Post
Nice article in today's Wall St Journal about the "major" producers of coconut water going on the offensive; they're HEAVILY marketing their products among marathoners, triathletes, and TV home improvement shows.

This might make prices rise, it might make shortages ....... you may want to stock up.
Or, we might see the price will fall due to competition.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:10 AM   #6
stockdoct

Send a message via Yahoo to stockdoct

One difference between "energy" drinks and coconut water is the potassium content. Coconut water has a huge potassium load, roughly 17 mEq per 8 oz. If you're an athlete thats just fine. If you want to enjoy 8 oz. over ice after a golf game, thats fine.

But if you have marginal kidney function, or take certain heart or blood pressure medicines (ACE inhibitors), or Motrin/Aleve/Ibuprofen and decide to drink 32 oz in an afternoon ............ it could kill you.
stockdoct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:13 AM   #7
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Good point. High amounts of potassium isn't for everyone.
Ministry of Rum

Old 09-09-2009, 05:05 AM   #8
msinabottle

COULD YOU QUIT MAKING ME DROOL?

Oh, man, does that sound absolutely delicious. Up here, you get a shelled coconut, which you drain (yum!), crack, peel, and then... laboriously... pare off the brown rind.

Just being able to walk up and get a fresh, peeled coconut... Oh, my. And getting out the rum and experimenting... OH, MY...

Sigh.
msinabottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
leisure master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
In Trinidad some vendors along Queen's park ice their nuts before selling them for less than a dollar a piece.
I know its very juvenile, but that line did make me laugh out loud...
Old 09-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #10
Gecko

But if you have marginal kidney function, or take certain heart or blood pressure medicines (ACE inhibitors), or Motrin/Aleve/Ibuprofen and decide to drink 32 oz in an afternoon ............ it could kill you.[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to argue the point above because I don't have the facts. I must admit, two weekends ago, I cracked about 35 coconuts that I had in my freezer for about an hour and a half.

The chilled contents was consumed with 2 40oz of Brugal Extra Anejo and one of my Scotch drinking buddies had Coconut water with Dewars 12yr old..

My point is. I'm still standing acting like a little kid etc.

Love Coconut water

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses