MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

10 years ago in 2009, Kōloa Rum Company was established on Kaui, Hawaii.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:47 AM   #1
Seangrdn

Question Havana Club Anejo Reserva decline in quality?

Hi everyone, this is my first post aside from my lengthy intro. I'm hoping this is the right place to ask my question.

Here's the short version, feel free to read the rest of the text below for more background info.

Has anyone noticed a decline in the quality of Havana Club rums recently? Anejo Reserva in particular?

I recently purchased a bottle of Havana Club Anejo Reserva to use as a base for the Hotel Nacional Daiquiri. I recall this being a nice budget friendly gold mixing rum (mostly experienced in Cuba libre) and I really enjoy the HC Anejo 3 Anos as a base for light citrus cocktails.

I went through my usual procedure of pouring a small sample to try neat. TERRIBLE! The nose immediately reminded me of budget Mexican rums that all taste like cheap tequila. Taste was not quite as bad but far from anything I would choose to drink neat.

I went ahead and made my cocktail and it was tolerable but not something I would ever look to repeat. I made a couple simple drinks: Cuba Libre, sparkling water with lime and a splash of simple syrup, and the results were very disappointing. That tequila-ish quality came through in an unpleasant way for all three.

I actually returned the bottle and the store manager reluctantly allowed me to exchange it for store credit. I couldn't bring myself to try another for fear of being stuck with a bottle of garbage rum.

I really hope I just got a bad bottle. I'm currently studying part time and working part time so rum funds are pretty tight. Rum selection is not great where I am and prices are quite high. I had high hopes for this particular bottle to meet my needs as a lower priced dry golden cocktail rum.

As a quick reference this bottle costs $25.50 (before 15% tax), bacardi gold is $23 and Flor de Cana 5 is $29. Those are two that I also considered. Havana Club 7 goes for $30.50 which is too pricey for what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by Seangrdn; 11-13-2016 at 12:53 AM.
Seangrdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:35 AM   #2
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

It's possible. I don't drink much Havana Club anymore, not for a few years but when they changed the blend of Havana Club Anejo Especial, the difference was notable. The new product is more sugared up and tastes bland in comparison to the old Especial.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions

Tags
havana club