MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

27 years ago in 1992, Lark Distillery was established on Tasmania.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 10-18-2015, 05:14 AM   #51
Ruminsky Van Drunkenberg

Alberta, being the only deregulated province in Canada, has not only the best and widest selection of rums in the country, but the best prices. I could never have started writing as extensively about rums as I have, with the limited crap (and high prices) of the LCBO.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #52
Fabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajuana View Post
Well you seem to enjoy the flavored rums but not the spiced ones? The Santa Teresa orange Liquor is nothing but nearly neutral alcohol and oranges. There is an over stock of it at a store here in Buffalo if you need your fix. Do you prefer this because it is from Venezuela? I ask because it is not really true rum. There are also many stores here offering just about every over sugared rum from Venezuela you could want. But I would suggest maybe picking up a bottle of El dorado 21 from your LCBO if you like sugared sweet rums. Its actually cheaper than the USA right now because the Canadian dollar has fallen sharply recently. One of the better buys at the LCBO if you are into sugared rums.
Haha thanks for your comments. I am enjoying some of the ST Orange Liquor maybe because I am missing my country but isn't my favorite one. I prefer more darker and more aged rums. Let's say that a Zacapa 23 is my gold standard. On the other hand, I am curious to know more about why you say the rum used in Orange Liquor is not true rum. Produce Rum in Venezuela is a pain in the neck. Why? because anything labelled as Rum requires a minimum aging of 3 years. If not aged that amount of time can't be called Rum but instead aguardiente (like Colombia is used to produce). I am also curious about the term "sugared". I am not fully aware that sugar is added but I agree some rums are very sweet. For example, Dipomatico Reserva Exclusiva is very sweet. But other rums as Cacique Antiguo aren't sweet. I know that in Canary Islands honey is added to rum (Ronmiel). I have also heard in Venezuela from a Rum Master that caramel is used to change the color.

Thanks for your advice on El Dorado. I ought the 7 years and it is decent. The 7 and 5 years had the same price. I also have use it to prepare rumtopf for the winter.

Cheers
Fabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #53
Fabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruminsky Van Drunkenberg View Post
Alberta, being the only deregulated province in Canada, has not only the best and widest selection of rums in the country, but the best prices. I could never have started writing as extensively about rums as I have, with the limited crap (and high prices) of the LCBO.
Don't mention it. LCBO is a nightmare at least for me. 50% spiced rum which I hate it and the rest is nothing special considering Canada is a developed country with a strong multi-cultural background.

Thanks for the information about Alberta. It is good to know there is a place with more choices. It would be great if you could share the 5 top dark rums you can find over there in Alberta.

Many thanks for your post, I appreciate it.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:21 PM   #54
jmkeary

What part of Ontario are you in? If you are in toronto it is not far to get to buffalo

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2015, 11:51 PM   #55
Fabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkeary View Post
What part of Ontario are you in? If you are in toronto it is not far to get to buffalo

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I am very close to Toronto. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #56
Ruminsky Van Drunkenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
Don't mention it. LCBO is a nightmare at least for me. 50% spiced rum which I hate it and the rest is nothing special considering Canada is a developed country with a strong multi-cultural background.

Thanks for the information about Alberta. It is good to know there is a place with more choices. It would be great if you could share the 5 top dark rums you can find over there in Alberta.

Many thanks for your post, I appreciate it.
1. Some years ago I actually walked into an LCBO and blasted the manager about it: how could the province with the largest population of West Indians and Latin Americans in Canada, have the crappiest rum selection from those regions, when, if they stocked them, sales would go through the roof? His response was that purchasing decisions were handed down from "Head Office." He had no input at all. Go figure

2. Five only? Some good dark rums from Alberta that I've tasted and know of and are available (and may even be cheaper than these prices): El Dorado 21 yo ($95), Rum Nation Caroni ($88); Rum Nation Panama 18 yo ($83), a raft of Plantations, Dictadors and two Kirk & Sweeney rums, Barbancourt 15 year old ($58), Cadenhead Classic Green label ($65); and that's not counting the mom-and-pop stores that often have one or two bottles of stuff that just never sold (I picked up a Pusser's yachting decanter and the Flor de Cana "21" 15 yo once both for less than a hundred bucks).

The first one hundred reviews I wrote were almost entirely sourced in Alberta. *One hundred*.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #57
Fabio

Quote:
1. Some years ago I actually walked into an LCBO and blasted the manager about it: how could the province with the largest population of West Indians and Latin Americans in Canada, have the crappiest rum selection from those regions, when, if they stocked them, sales would go through the roof? His response was that purchasing decisions were handed down from "Head Office." He had no input at all. Go figure

2. Five only? Some good dark rums from Alberta that I've tasted and know of and are available (and may even be cheaper than these prices): El Dorado 21 yo ($95), Rum Nation Caroni ($88); Rum Nation Panama 18 yo ($83), a raft of Plantations, Dictadors and two Kirk & Sweeney rums, Barbancourt 15 year old ($58), Cadenhead Classic Green label ($65); and that's not counting the mom-and-pop stores that often have one or two bottles of stuff that just never sold (I picked up a Pusser's yachting decanter and the Flor de Cana "21" 15 yo once both for less than a hundred bucks).

The first one hundred reviews I wrote were almost entirely sourced in Alberta. *One hundred*.
Man,

Thanks for the list and the insights. Then I need to find who the Head Office is because I am also concern about what 100% Canadians are tasting.

Do you have a blog with your reviews?

I would love to see them.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #58
Ruminsky Van Drunkenberg

See signature below my post
Old 10-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #59
Fabio

Quote:
See signature below my post
Wow congrats. Very nice webpage and actually I am impressed with the amount of work you have put on this. Great content and thanks for educating the people and rum lovers. Period!

F
Old 11-01-2015, 07:45 AM   #60
Fabio

What Dark rum have you bought this week? Answer with brand, version and store location. Thanks.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums