MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

177 years ago in 1842, La Favorite was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 07-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #41
Fabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
There is a new Rum in Venezuela called Cacique Leyenda. It is a premium proposition and the manufacturer claims is a blend of 70 aged rums. Sounds good.

http://tutrago.com/Noticia-3155-Nuev...-rones-reserva
Picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cacique Leyenda.jpg (62.7 KB, 10 views)
Fabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #42
Fabio

Hei,
I am so lucky because I still have one close bottle of this rare Rum ST Bicentenario. My lucky is even greater considering I am now in Waterloo, Ontario. I feel a bit rare when looking at the rum shelf in the LCBO store where half of the rum offer is spicy rum. Is this real?. How can be possible that good rums are not available?. It is certainly a pity. Maybe because I spent most of my life in Venezuela where anything called rum is aged non less than three years in wood barrels. But here in Waterloo is rare.

If you have any comment please reply. I want to understand why good and decent rums are not coming here. Maybe there is a REAL opportunity. Thanks guys and gals...
Old 10-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #43
Fabio

Yes please reply...I am desperate to learn why in Canada a good variety of rums, not necessarily the expensive ones, are not available.

Cheers...
Old 10-16-2015, 05:30 PM   #44
mamajuana

It sounds like the LCBO in waterloo must suck even worse than it does in general. Sounds like you need to cross the boarder if you want more options. Not to mention rum prices in Canada are insane.
mamajuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:46 PM   #45
Fabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajuana View Post
It sounds like the LCBO in waterloo must suck even worse than it does in general. Sounds like you need to cross the boarder if you want more options. Not to mention rum prices in Canada are insane.
Yes it can be true but I am more interested to know why so much spiced rum is present compared to others good options as Zacapa 23, El Dorado or Diplomatico. Many of these rums are pretty decent in terms of price and taste. But there is so much spiced rum in a place where you find people with backgrounds from Germany, UK and even Eastern Europe that normally appreciate a good rum. In fact, I heard someone in one of these stores saying that preferred spiced because is softer to drink compared to a non spiced. Anyways, I will keep searching why in this region spiced is the rule. Thanks for your comment.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:01 PM   #46
jmkeary

I noticed on my last trip home to Ottawa the lcbo rum selection is worse. Not sure why but whoever buys for the lcbo doesn't seem to care about rum. You could always email them and ask for better selections.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2015, 12:22 AM   #47
mamajuana

The worst part about the LCBO is that not all stores carry the products they order they are all spread out. This is very bad at least as I can tell for the rum lover. Their selection to begin with is not that great but then to not even offer this meager selection across stores is even worse. Not to mention their very high prices compared to the US. The LCBO is outsourcing beer to retailers its seems hopefully they do the same with spirits soon. Other provinces such as Alberta and Quebec do rum so much better.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #48
jmkeary

I did manage to talk with a lcbo store manager. He did indicate I could order in any rum from the lcbo website. I was on vacation so passed. Ended up in Montreal anyway so hit a SQA store. Pricey but good selection

Old 10-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #49
Fabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkeary View Post
I did manage to talk with a lcbo store manager. He did indicate I could order in any rum from the lcbo website. I was on vacation so passed. Ended up in Montreal anyway so hit a SQA store. Pricey but good selection

Thanks for the comments. I will go to Montreal in December and check what SQA has. I am biased by rums produced around the Caribbean but that doesn't mean I am close to rums from other places. For example, once I was in Tenerife and enjoyed Arehucas' rums which are quite particular. What intrigues me is why half of the shelf space in LCBO Waterloo has spiced rums. This is pretty bad because spiced rum in my opinion doesn't not represent what is rum in essence. I know behind such rum there are big companies as Diaggeo or Bacardy, but in a developed country I would expect more variety of mid to premium tier rums. Anyways, I am currently enjoying the Santa Teresa Orange Liquor which unfortunately has been out of the market for a year. Very good orange rum and I would say one of the best in the world.

Cheers and thanks for the replies.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:56 PM   #50
mamajuana

Well you seem to enjoy the flavored rums but not the spiced ones? The Santa Teresa orange Liquor is nothing but nearly neutral alcohol and oranges. There is an over stock of it at a store here in Buffalo if you need your fix. Do you prefer this because it is from Venezuela? I ask because it is not really true rum. There are also many stores here offering just about every over sugared rum from Venezuela you could want. But I would suggest maybe picking up a bottle of El dorado 21 from your LCBO if you like sugared sweet rums. Its actually cheaper than the USA right now because the Canadian dollar has fallen sharply recently. One of the better buys at the LCBO if you are into sugared rums.

Last edited by mamajuana; 10-17-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums