MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

23 years ago in 1997, Essential Spirits Alambic Distillery was established in Mountain View, California.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
charlie

Cool triple distilled rum

somewhere, I thought I read about a rum called ' Bamboo' and that it was triple distilled. I haven't be able to find it.
Are there triple distilled rums?
yes I am new to the great world of rum!
charlie
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

A lot of molasses based rums are triple distilled to remove the high concentration of sulfur and other minerals found in the raw material. Bamboo has been introduced a couple of times, but I haven't seen it on a store shelf. The last time I tasted it I thought it was very light and clean
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
scheer

This is a funny situation!; We got inquiries from all over the world to create a rum that would fit in the clients selling market.

Only from US companies the last year or so we got questions if we have the most neutral rum there is. Even when we propose light rums taken of at 95,5% ABV from a colomn still, from any county possible ( e.g. Guyana, Trinidad, Jamaica, Barbados, Reunion, Mauritsius, you name it) It all is still not neutral enough!

The whole Vodka "mind set" of many in the US, seems to have some influence on the types of rum they want to launch.

Be assured that looking at rum is totally different than looking at Vodka, and some congeners just need to be in rum, otherwise one could call it Vodka as well.

I would love to have some comments from US rum fanatics,
scheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
Scottes

Personally I'd love to find a white/light rum that retains a taste of molasses and still retains some fruitiness and floral notes and some sweetness.

In "And A Bottle Of Rum" Wayne Curtis describes a meeting with Stephen Remsberg and having a taste of an old Bacardi, 1920s I think. That describes something that I'd love to taste in a white rum today.

Cruzan White might be the closest thing to what I imagine, but it is still too light and lacks the molasses flavor. If only one could triple all the good tastes in Cruzan White... The other day I thought about trying a nice white agricole mixed with something like Cruzan - though I'd like something with more molasses - in maybe a 1:4 or 1:5 ratio. Or maybe I'm crazy....
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:38 PM   #5
Dood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottes View Post
Personally I'd love to find a white/light rum that retains a taste of molasses and still retains some fruitiness and floral notes and some sweetness.

In "And A Bottle Of Rum" Wayne Curtis describes a meeting with Stephen Remsberg and having a taste of an old Bacardi, 1920s I think. That describes something that I'd love to taste in a white rum today.
QFE. The "white-bread" vodka style of drink is not what I, as a rum drinker, want from a spirit calling itself rum. I want to know I'm drinking rum without having to see the bottle.

IMO, rum isn't supposed to be neutral.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheer View Post
Only from US companies the last year or so we got questions if we have the most neutral rum there is. Even when we propose light rums taken of at 95,5% ABV from a colomn still, from any county possible ( e.g. Guyana, Trinidad, Jamaica, Barbados, Reunion, Mauritsius, you name it) It all is still not neutral enough!
These people should be drinking vodka! If you distill out too many cogeners I don't even consider it rum anymore. Sure, it might technically be rum but you lose the flavors that make it rum in my opinion.

I can see where one might want to clean it up a bit more for a spiced rum that isn't going to be aged since you can soften it a bit. Still, you have to be careful not to lose the rum essence.
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
angelsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
If you distill out too many cogeners I don't even consider it rum anymore. Sure, it might technically be rum but you lose the flavors that make it rum in my opinion.
Distilled to 95% and with charcoal filtration, the rum technically becomes a vodka under U.S. law.
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
Scottes

I thought that vodka must be distilled to 95%, but not that any spirit distilled to 95% is vodka... Maybe I'm wrong here?
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #9
Troy

I'm pretty sure that the TTB says rum has to be under 190 proof at distillation now that I think about it. I'll go take a look at the TTB site and see what it says.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #10
Troy

Here is an interesting quote from the TTB site about vodka:

Quote:
The standard of identity for vodka was promulgated in 1949, in T.D. 5707, 1949-2 C.B. 252. The standard for vodka provided that it was neutral spirits distilled from any material at or above 190 proof, reduced to not more than 110 proof and not less than 80 proof and, after such reduction in proof, so treated as to be without distinctive character, aroma, or taste

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions