MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

112 years ago in 1908, Varela Hermanos SA was established in Panama.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
Milicent

Default Mixing with "Better" Rums

Quick comments and queries for the rum aficionados: After reading many (if not all) of the posts here, numerous articles, and having numerous personal conversations, the overwhelming consensus re mixing with better rums seems to be that it is a waste of good rum.

While it is undeniable that some of the nuances and subtleties are lost in the mix, I don't understand the bias against mixing with better rums. Personally, I enjoy several rums neat or on the rocks. I also enjoy most rums in a 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 ratio Cuba Libre. The better rums always seem to make better drinks. I can still taste the rums enough to appreciate subtleties and discern better rums from others. That is my personal experience.

At times, it seems there is a sort of pretentiousness that exists in this regard. Here is my question: With all things considered, is it really a waste to use better rums in mixed drinks?

I know it all boils down to personal preference, but I would like to hear comments and opinions re the reasons why someone wouldn't want to use their favorite rums in mixed drinks when it seems undeniable that they would make better drinks.

I guess that's part of my confusion as well. If a person likes their rum neat or on the rocks at all times, I completely understand why they wouldn't want to see them mixed. At the same time, I don't understand the bias against doing so. It just seems to be pretentious snobbery. That's why I'm seeking input and other perspectives. I am fully aware my perceptions are limited and many of you have more experience, knowledge, and wisdom on this subject. Can you help me out?
Milicent is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions