MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

11 years ago in 2008, Montanya Distillers was established in Silverton, Colorado.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 01-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
BaltRumFan

Default Newfoundland Iceberg rum

Hi all! i'm in St. John's this week enjoying the blizzard and at my hotel bar they have Iceberg rum. I looked up a few reads on it, but does anyone know if i can easily find it stateside?

i may get snowed in tomorrow if my morning flight is canceled, if so ill try to grab a bottle before heading to the airport. for a gold rum i like the sweetness, and god knows it is soooo welcome after Captain Morgan everywhere for me lately, lol

i'm also going through YYZ on the way home if anyone knows it is in their duty free shops.
BaltRumFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
BaltRumFan

Oh well, got snowed in...but it was a serious snow, no chance of getting to a government liquor store, I checked YYZ but the duty free barely had any rum so I guess I'll probably never see this again until my next trip to the region

One word of warning..there was a large group of us stranded at the hotel. I have never experienced a rum silently catching up with me into the early morning hours.

While a bit harsh straight (understatement), it mixes seamlessly with diet coke and will deceive you viscously, lol
Old 01-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Edward Hamilton
Founder

St John's has the biggest selection of rums in Canada since the Newfoundland Liquor Control Board also operates a bottling operation for many rums that are distributed across Canada.

Sorry to read that mixing a rum you wouldn't sip straight caught up with you after mixing it with diet Coke well into the night. Must be the altitude.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:58 AM   #4
BaltRumFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
St John's has the biggest selection of rums in Canada since the Newfoundland Liquor Control Board also operates a bottling operation for many rums that are distributed across Canada.

Sorry to read that mixing a rum you wouldn't sip straight caught up with you after mixing it with diet Coke well into the night. Must be the altitude.
Well, I guess I can't really blame it on the altitude.....I think most of the city is at 360ft sea level and at most the airport is around 460ft sea level LOL

To be honest I enjoyed the evening quite a lot sitting around with a dozen stranded flyers who had nothing better to do for twelve hours. The bartender was kind enough to stay open and we must have had easily a dozen orders of local caught calamari across our checks we shared with each other.

Iceberg rum did the trick for a good night of meeting new people, good seafood and the most amazing blizzard I've ever seen in my life.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Well if it wasn't the altitude it might have been the latitude. I've only been to St John's twice and both times I was delayed due to weather and flight cancellations, but the hotel bars near the airport are very accommodating to stranded travelers.

Hopefully, the next time I'm there it will be summer and there won't be any delays. St John's is at the end of a lot of air traffic routes, so there aren't a lot of options if your flight is canceled or delayed.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:20 AM   #6
Patapouf

There isn't a friendlier place to snowed in! Next time, try some Screech and Old Sam. Both are very good mixers, as is Iceberg.
Patapouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
Calgaryx

While St. Johns is a great place to visit it is not the best place to buy rum. Newfoundland carries about 70 rums including spiced. Alberta carries over 230 different rums including some very difficult to find rums including Appleton 30, ElDorado 25 and Santa Teresa Bicentario.
Calgaryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I stand corrected. The rum market has changed in the last few years thanks in part to the interest in my favorite spirit. The economy in Alberta is also a factor and I can't wait until it warms up a bit so I can plan a trip north of the border.
Ministry of Rum

Old 11-12-2013, 03:59 AM   #9
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryx View Post
While St. Johns is a great place to visit it is not the best place to buy rum. Newfoundland carries about 70 rums including spiced. Alberta carries over 230 different rums including some very difficult to find rums including Appleton 30, ElDorado 25 and Santa Teresa Bicentario.
Might have something to do with all the Newfies moving to the oil patch. We used to have a significant population of them here. I wish they'd come back.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:08 AM   #10
Carl

Just got back from Newfoundland. Iceberg BEER is great! Iceberg rum is awful if you're a sipper. Brought back some Cabot Tower (wish they'd had a bigger bottle) and some London Dock.
Question: Both say 100 proof. One says 51% ABV and the other says 57% ABV. What's with that?

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums