MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

57 years ago in 1963, St Vincent Distillers Limited was established on St. Vincent.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #111
thefatrumpirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRumlover View Post
Definitely as has already been noted by other members, anything made by Bundaberg. As we say of something awful tasting downunda, it would kill a brown dog. Plus if you overindulge you are likely to into a hyped up state from the excessive sugar content in the stuff! That's putting it mildly.

I know I've tasted some underwhelming premium rums over the years. But nothing else comes to mind as standing out right now. I may remember later perhaps as I ponder it more over a glass...
Bundaberg is one rum I am SO pleased I never tried early on in my rum tastings. It tastes more like cheap Whisky than rum.

Its the worst rum I have tried EVER without doubt.

The rum expression which I find most disappointing is Agricole. It just seems an awfully expensive way of drinking Cachaca. I can't get past the grassy/vegetal smell/notes.

I was pretty much underwhelmed with Ron Matusalem 15 and quite a few Cuban/Dominican style rums. I guess they just aren't to my taste. Brugal in particular just seems to taste of nothing.

However in terms of an individual rum it would be Fleur De Cana 12 year old. I've revisited on numerous occasions and it just doesn't cut it the way other similarly priced rums do. There's just something missing that I can't quite put my finger on.
thefatrumpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #112
wouter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatrumpirate View Post
Bundaberg is one rum I am SO pleased I never tried early on in my rum tastings. It tastes more like cheap Whisky than rum.

Its the worst rum I have tried EVER without doubt.

The rum expression which I find most disappointing is Agricole. It just seems an awfully expensive way of drinking Cachaca. I can't get past the grassy/vegetal smell/notes.

I was pretty much underwhelmed with Ron Matusalem 15 and quite a few Cuban/Dominican style rums. I guess they just aren't to my taste. Brugal in particular just seems to taste of nothing.

However in terms of an individual rum it would be Fleur De Cana 12 year old. I've revisited on numerous occasions and it just doesn't cut it the way other similarly priced rums do. There's just something missing that I can't quite put my finger on.
I agree with the Agricole. I think that the best rums coms from Guatamala ,Jamaica, Cuba, Venezuela and Guyana.
wouter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:30 AM   #113
rockydog101

Zaya... It's sugary vanilla crap.
rockydog101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:42 AM   #114
AdOrAdam

All you guys saying agricole is disappointing reminds me of my first experience of it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdOrAdam View Post
I've now tried a few more agricoles (about 6) & with the benefit of experience I can answer my own questions:

Answer 1) Yes... (!)
Its a characteristic of rhum agricole, in the same way bourbons taste like bourbon.

Answer 2) Yes & no.
How dominant flavours are it is depends on what you use. Jamaican & agricole rhums fit together well, the flavours overlap. The jamaican 'pot still' flavours may be 'mellowed' (as in my VX / St James Amber mai tai) by using an agricole if it doesnt have the 'pot still' flavour.

Answer 3) That's part of what a ti punch is!
That grassy flavour is what you are seeking to balance & appreciate. As with all spirits, try another.

My Saint James Amber stayed on the shelf for a while after I first tried out & posted. I have tried a few combos that I really really liked, they were:

Neat in a snifter 50:50 with Appleton 12.
I heard about this on tiki central, this combo will be probably be my way of benchmarking other agricoles. Apparently this is an approximation of the taste of Saint James Hors D'age.

In Ti Punch 50:50 with Trois Riveras Blanc.
The 'Mountain Of Crushed Ice' website gave me the idea. Using an amber & a blanc agricole 'smooths' the flavours of each rhum together. I use a snifter because it has a good floral grassy smell to it that escapes from a straight glass.

Overall I've neared the bottom of my bottle of Saint James Amber & Im not sure if I'll replace it. But, I've got to say, I've actually grown quite fond of the agricole flavour!
I think of cachaca as widely different to agricole (rather than a substitute or agricole as an expensive version of cachaca). I'm quite of a fan of the Rhum Vieux agricole now, I just treat new ones with a little caution (ie try before you buy) :-)
AdOrAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:08 AM   #115
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydog101 View Post
Zaya... It's sugary vanilla crap.
Its great for baking. Same alcohol content as vanilla, and you can't tell the difference.
Can't drink it though.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:51 AM   #116
jamesharry1

Default Most Disappointing Purchase?

Ron Boltran 1893, i dont like much to have it
jamesharry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #117
Gurth

A couple that were surprisingly bad (to me) considering the reviews are (were):

Dictador 12 - I love the 20 and many reviews said this was even better. Not so. Kept tasting celery for some reason. Couldn't even mix it with Coke which is my fallback when I buy a sipper that disappoints. Dumped out the remainder and returned the second bottle I had bought.

7 Fathoms Cayman Rum - I know this is a "gimmick" rum and I probably should have known better, but the reviews were unanimously off the charts and I have been to Grand Cayman, so I plunked down the $60. It's thin with almost no complexity and it's not even good with Coke. It''s similar to other micro-distillery rums that I've tried... in a word... lacking. You can really tell when a rum hasn't been aged much. This one also got dumped.

A final disappointment is El Dorado 21. At over $100 for a bottle, I've never gone for it coz I'd need to try it first. Really like the 12 and the 15 was okay although I don't stock it as I prefer the 12.

Was in St. Lucia in the spring and they had it behind the bar at our resort, so I tried a pour.

It was a bit harsh, or had a bit too much burn for my liking and if I'm spending that much on a liquor of any kind, it can't have that much burn.

I was expecting a lot more out of the 21 considering the hype (and cost).
Gurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:09 PM   #118
randeroo

Default Two for your consideration

1. Redrum, from the Stanley Hotel in Estes, CO. I wanted to like it, I really did, but... oof!
2. Malibu Island Spice 70 Calories. If you're the least bit serious about the rum you drink, you shouldn't be worrying about how many calories per serving it contains.
randeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #119
Neatpeat

Angostura 1919 and Ron Zacapa Centenario both much too sweet. Stroh 80 avoid like the plague, or don't with your own risk.
Neatpeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:56 PM   #120
Commotion

I had a nip of Appleton Estate 21yo at a local rum bar and was massively disappointed considering the price. I had Plantation 20th anniversary XO just prior and at half the price it was a much nicer drink.
Commotion is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions