MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

28 years ago in 1992, King of Diamonds was launched as a domestic brand in Guyana. King of Diamonds was replaced by the El Dorado brand.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:19 AM   #11
Edward Hamilton
Founder

From discussions with Bacardi people at trade shows, the label, and the taste, I can't conclude that this rum is aged 8 years. If it was, why wouldn't they just state that this was an 8 year old rum on the label instead of just using the number 8 on the label. There are several examples of using numbers on labels which have no relevance to the age of the spirit. But this practice isn't limited to the rum industry. Does Old No. 7 mean anything to you? How about Anniversario 21?

I used to find Matusalem Rum from the Bahamas with a label that clearly stated "15 Years Old" but no one I ever talked to believed it was aged nearly that long. But since it was sold in Bahamas and not the US or Europe, the age statement wasn't considered anything other than advertising.

It is interesting to me that all of the Bacardi 8 I see in the US is from the Bahamas, unlike their other rums. If I'm misinformed I would welcome comments from anyone at the world's largest rum distiller to correct me.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #12
Rum Runner

Good Points Ed. On the stuff sold down here the label reads 8 Anos. Which in the Spanish language would be taken to mean 8 years old. The label does not specifically state that the rum is aged 8 years before bottling...but, the title would certainly make you think such...Which is probably what they had in mind. The back label states "Produce of Bahamas. Bottled in San Juan, PR", but gives no indication of where it is aged. Is the stuff sold in the Mainland bottled in Florida? Of all the Bacardi offerings, I do quite like this one.
p.s. I do not work for Bacardi :-)
Old 12-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #13
Bahamian

of course you are right (vat 19 is never ever aged 19 years and so on), i only wondered if Bacardi is really that arrant, not only to put that number on their label (not only that, but it's "ron 8 años", what is a little more than old no 7 - my girlfrind is spanish so i know ;-) but to give "facts" like this on their web page ...

guess i have to do the distillery tour before they close their doors here at new providence (what will happen next year), even if I'm not interested at all in that industrial way of mass production and will not buy a bottle at the end of the tour - already got some bottles "chic charney" by ole nassau and "don lorenzo" as Chrismas presents for friends home in Berlin.

on the other hand: will they tell me the truth there? don't think so...
and i have never been to a distillery before - should Bacardi realy be my first...?!?
Bahamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:23 PM   #14
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

Old No 7 is not so bad as the stories of the name are publicly available. It is still a little confusing though if you don't know the story behind the number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamian View Post
on the other hand: will they tell me the truth there? don't think so...
and i hve never been to a distillery before - should bacardi realy be my first...?!?
Two words: carbon dating.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #15
Bahamian

nothing against "old no 7"! don't know it at all! i mentioned it because ed did and i guess that was only because of the confusing name...

and by the way: what's "carbon dating" (excuse me, my English has still be to be improved)?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #16
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

That carbon dating thing was just a little joke I made.

Carbon dating is a technique used to determine the age of organic material less than 50,000 years old. Age is determined by examining the loss of a carbon isotpe. For purposes of dating artifacts, the rate of loss of this unstable isotope is assumed to be constant. Commonly used to determine the age of fossiles.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #17
Bahamian

sorry, i should have gotten (is that correct?!?) that!
in german it's the "Radiocarbon-Methode" or "C-14-Methode"..
thanx for explaining a joke ;-)
Old 12-03-2007, 08:16 PM   #18
Scottes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
I used to find Matusalem Rum from the Bahamas with a label that clearly stated "15 Years Old" but no one I ever talked to believed it was aged nearly that long.
Isn't the Gran Reserva a Solera? That could explain the "15 years" - if that was the oldest rum in the Solera system....
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:14 PM   #19
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post
Is the stuff sold in the Mainland bottled in Florida? Of all the Bacardi offerings, I do quite like this one.
p.s. I do not work for Bacardi :-)
The label only says Product of the Bahamas, imported by Bacardi, etc. I believe it is bottled in the Bahamas.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:16 PM   #20
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottes View Post
Isn't the Gran Reserva a Solera? That could explain the "15 years" - if that was the oldest rum in the Solera system....
If you read the Matusalem Gran Reserva label closely it says 15 Solera Blender. You can infer what you want to from that. There isn't much more to the story on the label though I've heard some tall tales over the years but that's another discussion.
Ministry of Rum

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions