MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

131 years ago in 1888, the Brugal company was established in the Dominican Republic.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet > TheRumelier
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
TheRumelier

Default 10 Cane, New Bottle, New Formula

Well it looks like the stories are true on 10 Cane changing formula. Along with the new formula comes a new bottle. I guess the old formula wasn't producing enough sales. Unfortunately I could not download a photo of the new bottle. They are still sticking with fresh specially selected hand cut cane juice that is double distilled in small batches in French pot stills. It is then aged for one year in French oak barrels. After aging it is then blended with a touch of extra old Trinidadian rum which adds complexity and versatility apparently.
I look forward to trying the new formula as I was not too fond of the old one.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Like you Rumelier, I've heard rumors of a new rum under the 10 Cane label but haven't gotten the definitive word from the brand owner yet.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:44 AM   #3
D.B.Cooper

When I first bought and cracked open a bottle of 10 cane I DID NOT LIKE IT. That was a surprise since I like most rums even the bottom shelf brands which I always find something positive to say. The only way I found to finish the bottle was in a rum "Lynchburg Lemonade".

As I started to expand my rum tastes I found out that I just do not care for the "sugar cane juice" rums. Weird!

I'll be on the lookout for the new bottle and if the price seems reasonable I'll
give it another shot.
D.B.Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
RonJames

Good on my end too. I've always found that bartenders think any rum cocktail made with this stuff turns into nectar of the gods, not so.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJames View Post
Good on my end too. I've always found that bartenders think any rum cocktail made with this stuff turns into nectar of the gods, not so.
One of the problems LVMH, the 10 Cane brand owner, had in the early days of 10 Cane was that few people in their market had ever actually tasted a sugar cane juice rum. After they tasted 10 Cane, I heard that many people found a sharp bite in the finish of 10 Cane that is generally associated with the sulphur component of molasses that is usually removed either through aging or subsequent distillations/filtration by the distiller.

From a marketing standpoint, 10 Cane was a brand that no one ever looked for, the market and bars were flooded with the product from almost the first day the product was launched. At that time there was considerable excitement in the spirits industry about rum becoming the next vodka/tequila or whatever you thought was the hottest segment of the alcoholic beverage industry and neither of these spirits giants wanted to be second in the race to release the first premium, read over-priced for the market, white rum.

Until 10 Cane, and Oronoco were launched, there had never been an 80 proof white rum sold in the US for more than about $20, I really believe it was less as Cruzan was selling at that time for about $12 a bottle. More than a few highly paid marketing people believed they could premiumize the white rum market through a higher price point and glossy marketing. After all, Grey Goose listed for about $30, and everyone in the industry agreed that it was no longer the same product that Sidney Frank had submitted to BTI when they gave Grey Goose a 95 point score, but by that time Sidney Frank had sold his golden goose to Bacardi who still owns it.

Fortunately for people like us that love sugar cane spirits, white rum didn't follow the premiumization that happened to vodka and we can still afford to drink our favorite spirit. I also hear less from rum marketers about making their rum the next Grey Goose, which is probably a good thing.

In my estimation, Oronoco, owned by Diageo, was the winner in race to be the first company with a +$35 white rum in that they didn't loose as much money on Oronoco as LVMH lost on 10 Cane. Today, across the US, we see both brands being discounted. I haven't gotten the official notice that anyone at Diageo has pulled the plug on Oronoco, and don't expect to read that anytime soon but I also haven't been contacted by any new PR firms wanting to tell me about their premium Brazilian rum client.

On the other hand, I am told that 10 Cane is not going away in the near future. I'll be talking to the new brand manager tomorrow morning and hope to learn some substantive information about the future of 10 Cane during that conversation.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Edward Hamilton
Founder

According to the new Brand Manager, 10 Cane is being relaunched with a new square bottle that will be easier to fit in a bar rail, be easier to handle and take up less space on the shelf. I'll post a picture of the new bottle shortly.

And despite calling itself the 'Best Rum in the World' for the past 5 years, LVMH has changed the rum in the 10 Cane bottle as well. In an effort to improve the finish and reduce the sharp after bite that many consumers found in the old 10 Cane, the new product will still be made from freshly crushed sugar cane juice but now LVMH will add less than 10% aged molasses-based rum from Trinidad Distillers Limited. This aged component will have spent somewhere between 5 and 7 years in a barrel before being blended with the fresh sugar cane distillate and then recasked in used cognac barrels for an additional year.

Since the new 10 Cane will be darker in color than the original, it is being called a golden rum by the brand owner.

In making the decision to change their 'Best Rum in the World,' LVMH was looking for a rum that mixed better with Coke since they see a significant percentage of their market mixing their rum with Coke or cola products. And, the new 10 Cane will be priced at a more conservative $24.99 to $29.99 price point. I look forward to tasting the new 10 Cane in the near future.
Ministry of Rum

Old 01-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
RonJames

Thats good that they are still making rum from fresh sugar cane. I've read that they are the source for the bottlers of vizcaya, and although 10 cane is not on my wish list Vizcaya is one of those rums that I hope never gets discountinued. I think I remember meeting the importer at one of the NYC events you held Ed, very nice gentlemen.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
Sylbaris

Default Quasi-Agricoles? With Coca-cola?!!!

These quasi-agricoles are a bit of conundrum particularly when they are being formulated to be married with a Coke. The only thing that should be married with a Coke is a cheeseburger, Period! I bought 10 Cane when it was first launched and paid close to $50 for a bottle which came in a nice box and I gifted it to my best friend before even tasting. It turned out to be rather disappointing for both of us since we had the expectation of a true blanc agricole like Neissen or LaMauny or JM. Rhum all from Martinique our favorite mecca for these agricole rhums. As for their claim at being the "best rum in the world" they had clearly missed that mark by a long shot and could hardly be compared with a straight face to the many true rum elixirs that do already exist and have no need to make such claims. If their new formulation is even half as good as the relatively new Denizen or Banks, or even Cruzan or Don Q for the sub $30 price point it would be greatly appreciated. As for Oronoco from Brazil to me it has more the character of a cachaca and not the best. I much prefer the Leblon which makes a great caipirinha and even a fine mojito and at $20 its a steal. Finally, Vizcaya of which I am a brand ambassador. A truly fine rum but agricole rhum?! Not like any agricole I have ever tasted and I believe I have tasted some of the best but who am I to question perfection!
Sylbaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylbaris View Post
As for Oronoco from Brazil to me it has more the character of a cachaca and not the best.
I definitely wouldn't call Oronco a cachaca. The spirit itself is distilled to a much higher proof and it lacks any of the flavor of cachaca.
Ministry of Rum

Old 05-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

I heard that 10 Cane has gone through a reformulation before (~2007), does anyone know anything about this?

I had an opportunity to do a side by side comparison at the recent Rum Club. Personally I liked the old style 10 Cane better, the new one is just way too sweet for me. Sugar does not = better.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet > TheRumelier