MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

372 years ago in 1647, there were 120 drinking houses in Bridgetown, Barbados, only 20 years after the first British colony was established on the island.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas

From real fruit to the worst synthetic flavors what do you like and how do you drink it?

Old 07-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Joe Riley

Send a message via AIM to Joe Riley
Default Cruzan 9 Spiced Rum

This isn't on the Cruzan website (yet..) but I happened to read a Beam Global press release about this product. It reads in part, "The newest addition to the Cruzan portfolio is spiced rum, Cruzan 9, a unique blend of nine all-natural spices, based on the stronger-tasting rums of centuries ago, and handcrafted by the Nelthropp family".

My distributor doesn't have it yet, and I can't reach anyone from Beam Global today who can tell me anything about it, but the photo in the press release looks good; it's sort-of like the Cruzan aged dark bottle, but with a big "9" above the label.

Can't wait to see this one. If it's true to it's heritage, I'm certain that I'm going to like it.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:09 AM   #2
Sylbaris

Default Cruzan 9 Spiced Rum Launch

Joe: I had the opportunity to attend the Beam sponsored launch of this new rum about a month ago in lower Manhattan. If you need more info, I can hook you up with the Beam team based in Chicago. Never a fan of spiced rum especially Captain Morgan, after 3 or 4 expertly prepared cocktails by the mixologists at Pain Killer, I soon became an aficionnado.
Sylbaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
jjwest

They are not on my sipper list, but spiced rums like Sailor Jerry's, Seven Tiki, and Krakken are all fine additions to my mixables. I find that a good spiced rum can amplify the flavors I really enjoy in drinks like the Navy Grog, the Ancient Mariner and Rum Barrel.

I look forward to sampling the Cruzan entry. Keep digging Joe!
jjwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
Joe Riley

Send a message via AIM to Joe Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylbaris View Post
Joe: I had the opportunity to attend the Beam sponsored launch of this new rum about a month ago in lower Manhattan. If you need more info, I can hook you up with the Beam team based in Chicago. Never a fan of spiced rum especially Captain Morgan, after 3 or 4 expertly prepared cocktails by the mixologists at Pain Killer, I soon became an aficionnado.
Thank you kindly Beam Global has a D.C. office, but the guy that I needed to speak to wasn't in yesterday (he actually lives about a mile or so from my store) I'll just drop him an email.

Yeah, Captain Morgan is something of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it's a decent enough "starter" rum, or entry-level rum, for someone to get their feet wet in the rum world, but at the same time, it's only 70-proof and not really representative of what better rums are like. I've made a lot of converts from Captain Morgan to Sailor Jerry (92-pf), and my customers can't believe what a MUCH better rum the Sailor Jerry's is.

I could be completely wrong, but I see a lot more interest these days in spiced rum than in flavored rums (i.e., coconut, pineapple, orange, etc..) With the strong debut of The Kraken, and Brinley Gold "Shipwreck" Spiced Rum, and a few others (even Heaven Hill's "Blackheart"), this looks like the category for growth opportunity in rum. Either that, or everyone just wants a piece of Captain Morgan's market.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
young0076

I like me some spiced rums, and I am looking forward to getting ahold of this one.
young0076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
RumBarPhilly

I believe the launch date for Cruzan No. 9 is July 24th, though this could just be the launch date in Pennsylvania. I'm excited to get it in, its been years since Ive tried the Clipper. I know No. 9 is a 4 year old aged rum. (or was it 3?)

Cant wait!
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Riley View Post
I could be completely wrong, but I see a lot more interest these days in spiced rum than in flavored rums (i.e., coconut, pineapple, orange, etc..) With the strong debut of The Kraken, and Brinley Gold "Shipwreck" Spiced Rum, and a few others (even Heaven Hill's "Blackheart"), this looks like the category for growth opportunity in rum. Either that, or everyone just wants a piece of Captain Morgan's market.
I think a lot of companies thought Captain Morgan owned the spiced rum market and were afraid to compete. Then Sailor Jerry made some waves, then changed their blend and now the seas are awash with spiced rums, some are better than others. My latest blog is about Spiced Rum.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumBarPhilly View Post
I believe the launch date for Cruzan No. 9 is July 24th, though this could just be the launch date in Pennsylvania. I'm excited to get it in, its been years since Ive tried the Clipper. I know No. 9 is a 4 year old aged rum. (or was it 3?)

Cant wait!
Like you Adam, I've heard a couple of different ages, or maybe it was my hearing.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
The Sheriff

I have not been a fan of spiced rums in the past but since trying and liking The Kraken I'm looking forward to giving No. 9 a try!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:28 AM   #10
Edge

I'm also looking forward to Cruzan 9. I may have to take a drive to the local liquor store and have them order me a bottle.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas