MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

174 years ago in 1845, Distillerie Isautier was established on Reunion.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Off Topic > Deals and Discounts in your area
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Deals and Discounts in your area

Have you seen any promotions, deals or things of interest to others in pursuit of the ultimate sugar cane spirits locker?

Old 05-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
RonJames

Default What to get in while in Quebec?

Hey guys I was wondering if anybody had any recomendations on what to get and where to get it for Quebec? I'll be driving up there from Vermont so the duty free is an option. Im still a little timid about bringing back any HC, but I was thinking making Appletons Master Blenders Legacy. Hey, its french canadian so its gotta have a good agricole selection right? Probably not but I can keep wishing. Any advice would help.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Rum Runner Imports

www.saq.com search from "Rhum" -- Rum turns up all sorts of wines and other bottles for some reason.

There is an English language buttom at the top of the page, but I didn't find that it changed much on the site. Good luck.
Rum Runner Imports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:06 AM   #3
Vanpatt

Search by category and select rhum and you'll see all they have to offer for rum's and rhum's. They have a quite a few rhum's we can't get out west like the Saint Jame's and La Favorite. I find on many sites if you do a general search of rum you'll get other spirits aged in rum casks and so on.
Vanpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
RonJames

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on the canadian connection here. I was very surprised by the agricoles and will have to give them a consideration. Finding good agricoles is always hit or miss.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
dom

If you are looking for high end product, try this location : 677, rue Ste-Catherine Ouest. It's in downtown Montreal. You can find the Appleton MBL, old agricole pricy rum and other high end stuff there.

Elwere, you can find some SAQ Selection banner. They have a wider selection of average price stuff. La Favorite Coeur de Rhum is a very good agricole, but you won't find it everywere. You will find St-James almost everywere though.

I would recommend you the El Dorado 5yo, the Flor the Cana 7yo and Cockspur 12 yo (best quality/price options).

Don't count on the duty free shop, you will be dissapointed by the selection. They only carry Bacardi line, Capain Morgan line and Appleton V/X. The prices are much cheaper though.

Dom
dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
RonJames

Thanks Dom, Im gonna be in quebec city this time around but Im gonna keep the montreal info. You never know when I'll be there. Im kind of leaning towards the appletons MBL for no other reason than I can't get it in the states. Of course if i do come across some good agricoles that could all change. Thanks for the tip, its much appreciated.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
Ben

There is a SAQ Signature, same as Dom was telling about, in Quebec City; it is located at 2450, Laurier boulevard. You will find there stuff that isn't sold in other SAQ locations. If you can afford it, try the agricoles L'Arbre du Voyageur. Very pricy, but so good.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #8
RonJames

I was actually trying to get some info about this rum but couldn't find any. Agricole from Martinique or guadalupe?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:07 AM   #9
Ben

It seems to be a special rum produced by La Favorite, Martinique, as seen on this page:

http://www.chateautuilerie.com/nos_v...uvee=11&page=1

The bottle is sold for over 150$ (there are actually 2 different productions available, 1998 and 2001). I had the occasion to taste it because it was served in an "auberge" (inn) for only 17$ a glass. It is a mistake, because the Havana Club 15 years, which was basically the same price at the time was selling for 45$ a glass. Here is the info for the inn:

http://www.aubergestantoine.com/

Their bar is called Cafe Artefact and has a spectacular rum selection (for Quebec). I don't know if they still has L'Arbre du Voyageur; I was there last November. The rum had a strong taste, but incredibly good.

Last edited by Ben; 05-20-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
RonJames

WOW, Ben I like your style, and I owe you one. That looks like a darn good place to catch a meal as well. I get rum, the misses gets an awesome dinner, and we both get to go to bed happy. Thanks for the info, I haven't even looked up the rum info yet but am overly happy with the bar. Thanks a ton.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Off Topic > Deals and Discounts in your area