MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

136 years ago in 1883, the production of sugar from sugar beets equaled the production of sugar from sugar cane for the first time.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
seabass

Default Cruzan 2 year light and dark...difference?

I've been stocking up on 2 year light since it is dissapearing but since the 2 year dark is still produced I just asked myself is there really a big taste difference between the two? Maybe an expert can chime in. I might want to keep some light for when I make a mojito for a guest (A brown mojito would look funny) but otherwise could anyone tell the difference if I put light or dark in a rum and coke?
seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

With coke I doubt you'd taste much difference between the two year old white or two year old dark. You might discern a difference between the two year dark and the 14 month white depending on how strong you mix it.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:48 AM   #3
The Scribe

I actually just had a glass of the Estate Light (the two year). I have a bottle laid by, mostly for myself, and we have a handle of Bacardi downstairs for every...well...who isn't me. =) (What? It's college. If I gave them the choice of Cruzan or Bacardi, they would probably pick that latter. Then again, they also believe in chilling things using the freezer, not ice...) On the subject of Bacardi, when I was the the Chicago Rum Festival, Debbi Peek, the head of mixology for Bacardi, said that the only difference between the White ("Superior") and the Gold was caramel colouring... In the case of Cruzan, I would presume that there is caramel colouring, but also that the dark is unfiltered, whereas the light is.
Cheers. - S
I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, and in the drink with a boat on the rocks.
The Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
KINGSTON

I'm suprised that a Rum insider would from Bacardi would addmit that the Superior and the gold are the same but with Carmel coloring.

ed, Can we assume the same for let's say the Mount gay Eclipse and Mount Gay Eclipse Silver?
KINGSTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:46 AM   #5
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Many silver and gold labels of rum are similar with the difference being carbon-filtering and caramel coloring. I'm glad you learned something you can use at the Chicago Rum Festival, it was designed to be an educational event.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:30 AM   #6
The Scribe

Kingston, the question was "in mixing, what is the taste difference between the gold and the superior." Bridget Albert's answer was "Ask Debbi." (P.S.: Can I just say how awesome it was to eat or drink anything prepared by an Iron Chef contestant?) Debbi's answer, as best I recall was "The Bacardi Superior is bottled straight after distillation. [(This is interesting because I thought Bacardi made a stink about aging their rums...Yay! marketing.)] To make the gold, they take the exact same base rum and add coloring to it. I find the gold to be a bit stronger tasting, which is a bit of a surprise since they are basically the same. In general, if you back off the gold about five to ten percent, it substitutes perfectly for the Superior..." She then explained that the Select and the Anejo 8 Anos are actually aged.

That statement does suggest an answer to the old question of "what does caramel colouring taste like." My new answer: Have a sip of the Superior and the gold. The difference is caramel colouring. Thanks again for a great event, Ed. We need to talk about a Boston event (smaller, as you said).
Cheers. - S
I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, and in the drink with a boat on the rocks.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
krustykrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scribe View Post
Thanks again for a great event, Ed. We need to talk about a Boston event (smaller, as you said).
Cheers. - S
Not to hijack the thread, but I would be ALL FOR a Boston Rumfest!!! The guys at Federal Wine and Spirits seem eager to get something going - may be a good starting point?
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
RumBarPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scribe View Post
Kingston, the question was "in mixing, what is the taste difference between the gold and the superior." Bridget Albert's answer was "Ask Debbi." (P.S.: Can I just say how awesome it was to eat or drink anything prepared by an Iron Chef contestant?) Debbi's answer, as best I recall was "The Bacardi Superior is bottled straight after distillation. [(This is interesting because I thought Bacardi made a stink about aging their rums...Yay! marketing.)] To make the gold, they take the exact same base rum and add coloring to it. I find the gold to be a bit stronger tasting, which is a bit of a surprise since they are basically the same. In general, if you back off the gold about five to ten percent, it substitutes perfectly for the Superior..." She then explained that the Select and the Anejo 8 Anos are actually aged.

Now of course, I wasnt there for this conversation, but... Isnt it Puerto Rican law that a rum MUST be aged 1 year in order to be called rum. Otherwise, perhaps known as Cane Spirit?

On this subject, could it be considered rum in the rest of the world outside of PR? (Similar to Mt Gay's Sugar Cane Brandy) And if the above is true, this could identify why Puerto Ricans prefer DonQ over Bacardi.
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
Rum Runner

Indeed Philly, By law all Puerto Rican rum must be aged for one year minimum in oak barrels before release.

I have no idea who Debbi is, but she should check with MOR before expounding on rum production.

Last edited by Rum Runner; 07-11-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Rum Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
The Scribe

Oops...Sorry I omitted that. Debbi Peek is head of mixology for Bacardi. Somehow I think the knows what she is talking about...Incidentally, I think in the rum quiz it says that Puerto Rican rum need not be aged, and I always get that question wrong, because I always think there is some law on the subject.
Cheers. - S

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions