MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

372 years ago in 1647, there were 120 drinking houses in Bridgetown, Barbados, only 20 years after the first British colony was established on the island.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 04-26-2008, 02:35 AM   #21
angelsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto Fariсez View Post
Considering the above mentioned and some other factors, I figured that a “fair” way to tell the consumer that a rum has a Super Premium or Ultra Premium quality is because of the “Real” aging of the product. The only way to do so would be considering the quantities of esters and tannins present in the rum, which would only develop during the “woodyness” and “esterification” of the cask aging process. The requirements are:

RAUP 1000 parts per million total esters and 850 parts per million in tannins

RASP 750 parts per million total esters and 650 parts per million in tannins

These aging/quality labels are not exclusive of Macuro or Pachano; any rum form any where could get it as long as the requirements are fulfilled.
I like this idea. It deals with the true MATURITY of the spirits instead of the idea of age.
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #22
Fabio

Alberto,
First at all congratulations to maintain a great tradition inVenezuela. Very interesting your explanations about the composition of RAUP and RASP. I am Venezuelan and living in Caracas and like very much the aged Rums. I am wondering when you are planning to introduce Pachano 23 in the country?...

This is for me another "rare" rum to add into the list. Hope this can be found in the market some day. Would be nice if you can provide figures like production amount per year and if you sell boxes to the connoisseurs...
Regards, Fabio Bertozzi.
Fabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #23
Alberto Fariсez

Fabio:
Thanks for you message. Pachano Nє 23 will be available in Venezuela in Q3 2008.

Michael:
1) Depending on the country’s legislation. Also you could state the youngest or the oldest in the blend.
2) Indeed the initial level of esters is obtained at the distillation, but then more esters will develop during the aging.
3) Sorry, I do not understand the question.
4) It would be the levels of esters and tannins of a rum that have been aged, with out cask refill, for 14 years and 21 years for RASP and RAUP respectively.

At the end, this is a very particular and personal way of thinking. I am not an expert of this matter, nor an enologue, sommelier or Chemical Engineer. I am just a Systems Engineer, specialized in biometrics, who loves good food, drinking and smoking. I started this as a hobby, nowadays it is a way of life.

This Maturity Label is not bullet proof, but may be if you all find this useful for the consumer, we could all develop a system that could really work. Ed’s, Ministry of Rum, web forum would be the place to develop this and we could present the Rum Maturity Label at the 2008 Ministry of Rum Tasting Competition.
Alberto Fariсez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #24
Michael

Thanks Alberto for the informative response.

The question not understood referred to tannins in the wood of a wooden still (admittedly a bit obscure, DDL Enmore, for one: http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1164).

Ed already answered that question above. He pointed out that the tannins would be washed out in the first few years of the still's operation and not affect the distillate thereafter.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #25
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Thanks Alberto for the informative response.

The question not understood referred to tannins in the wood of a wooden still (admittedly a bit obscure, DDL Enmore, for one: http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1164).

Ed already answered that question above. He pointed out that the tannins would be washed out in the first few years of the still's operation and not affect the distillate thereafter.
Though the tannins would certainly be given up after a few years of use, the wood would provide a medium for other congeners to grow which would certainly add some flavors to the finished product. Some of those flavors would probably enhance the flavor of the rum and some wouldn't.

About 15 years ago I saw the last of the wooden fermentation tanks in use in the Eastern Caribbean being dismantled and replaced with a steel fermentation tank. Since that time, most distillers have switched to stainless steel fermentation tanks, though there is at least one distillery still using a cement fermentation tank.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #26
The Rum Ambassador

Default Hi Alberto. їCуmo es usted?

I was talking about your rum only two weeks ago to a couple of UK distributors and brand builders. The Venezuelan rum category is definitely gathering steam. Love the new package. And the rum definitely gets my thumbs up. We have to get it over here for RumFest UK.

UK RUMFEST...The Rum Experience
London, England
24th-25th October 2009
www.rumfest.co.uk
The Rum Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #27
The Rum Ambassador

Found a picture of us doing what we do best....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg af & ib.jpg (30.9 KB, 30 views)

UK RUMFEST...The Rum Experience
London, England
24th-25th October 2009
www.rumfest.co.uk
The Rum Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #28
Tiare

2 glasses of nice rums..and 2 very bright smiles..

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #29
Alberto Fariсez

Default Hola Ian, como estas?

Dear Ian, thanks for having us in mind. I am really sorry we couldn't go there last year. I am confident that this year we will have both rums at the UK Rumfest 2008. Please keep in contact through alberto@farinez.com
Alberto Fariсez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #30
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto Fariñez View Post
Dear Ian, thanks for having us in mind. I am really sorry we couldn't go there last year. I am confident that this year we will have both rums at the UK Rumfest 2008. Please keep in contact through alberto@farinez.com
Just to bring back a couple of rums on this thread that caused a bit of a buzz.

Did Antonio show at UK RumFest 2008?

He seems to still be active with chocolate..and maintains a blog on Ron Macuro.

Que Pasa?

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums