MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

81 years ago in 1937, Grenada Sugar Factory was established on Grenada.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
Phil-B

Default Brugal Extra Viejo

I was very happy to find your site, and become a member today. I'm not much of an expert (yet), as my only experience with rum was with grocery store Bacardi & Mount Gay Eclipse until my daughters came back from the DR last summer with a bottle of Brugal Extra Viejo. I was blown away by how flavorful and smooth it is. I'm about out now, and can't find a way to get it in California. Mission Liquor, Beverage Warehouse, and Hi Times say they can't get it, even though they do carry other Brugal selections. There are 2 internet sites, in the DR and in Spain, that say they ship direct to your door, for about $40/bottle. It's good, but I'm not sure it's that good! Beverage Warehouse indicated that that was probably illegal in the US, and might be a problem.

Anyway, is there an available substitute, carried by the California dealers, at a reasonable price (less than $30), that anyone might recommend?
Phil-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
Hank Koestner

Phil, there are a number of rums that you will be able to try that are comparable to Brugal extra anejo. I have tasted it, and wish I had a bottle. I have the anejo, but not the extra. You might like Botran 1863 or 12, Pampero from Venezuela is another in the vein of Brugal, but a little richer. (although, Brugal has a unique flavor.) Also, Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva, which is also from the DR. These are just my suggestions, others may or may not argee.
You should be able to find these in Cal. Taste and enjoy!
Hank Koestner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
Phil-B

Thanks so much, Hank! I'll definitely try all those! I picked up a bottle of Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 yesterday. It's excellent, of course, but at least so far, I still prefer the Extra Viejo (more flavor). Perhaps, as my tastes become better educated, I'll think differently. Education is wasted on the young!
Old 04-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

The Brugal Extra Viejo you've found in the DR isn't exported to the US, you can find it in St Thomas and a few other places in the islands. I horde the last few drops of the last bottle I have but will be buying some more in St Thomas in about two weeks. My writing mentor and I will be sailing his 42 foot sloop from St Thomas to Florida.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #5
Phil-B

Hey, Edward, want a new career? Import Brugal EV to the US!

Seriously though, since you are a recognized connnoisseur, do you agree with Hanks recommendations, or can you think of a rum that is available that is a better substitute?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:26 PM   #6
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I can't think of a rum with the same character and certainly not for the price of Brugal Extra Viejo. But I have confidence you will find some rums that you will appreciate. You might want to try Santa Teresa's line of rums. Their best doesn't have as much character, like the Zacapa Centenario it is good rum but my favorite from Zacapa is their Solera because it has more character in the mid-body.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Last week I opened a bottle of Abuelo Aсejo and was reminded of Brual Extra Viejo. Is it really similar? Well it did remind me of Brugal's EV, but it certainly isn't the same rum. What do you think?
Ministry of Rum

Old 05-15-2007, 02:17 AM   #8
Phil-B

Edward:

Not sure where I can find Abuelo in the LA area. Mission Liquor doesn't list it.

Phil-B
Old 05-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
The Rum Ambassador

You'll have to take a trip to Florida. I did see some bottles of Abuelo in an ABC wine store in Tampa. I love the 7 years old. I remember first tasting it with Ed and Abuelo's Master blender in Ybor City last year.Hmmmm ?

UK RUMFEST...The Rum Experience
London, England
24th-25th October 2009
www.rumfest.co.uk
The Rum Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:41 PM   #10
Hank Koestner

Post ShopDr .com

Well, I just received two bottles of Brugal Extra Viejo. The site ships from the Bronx, NYC. They only sell in two packs at 39.95, and the shipping was 22.00. (from NY to Florida)
So, I paid 62.00 for both bottles. I have not tasted it yet, but I will this weekend. As for Ed's curiosity about the importer, there are no stickers or info on the bottles as to who imported them. There is no stamp of any kind.
The bottles are sealed properly. They look as they would if you purchased them in the DR ( I imagine....). Any comments?
Hank Koestner is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions