MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

371 years ago in 1647, there were 120 drinking houses in Bridgetown, Barbados, only 20 years after the first British colony was established on the island.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
Cerpintine

Default Appleton Estate Extra?

Hi, new member here So, I wanted a bottle, and I've had some rum before but I was looking for some quality sipping stuff. It's not that expensive and I can afford it even though I'm kind of low on finds atm, but the only place in PA I can get it is from shopper's vineyard. From there it'll cost $15 just to ship one bottle. I suppose I could go out and try it but I'm also a beer man and like to enjoy something with that at home.

Should I just stick with the V/X and mix it with ginger? How is that? Or I could have the Extra mixed or straight.. I guess I'm asking if it's worth the extra $15 right now or if I should just wait and pick up some stuff with it in the future? I mean I really want to try it, but, yeah...
Cerpintine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Welcome to the for-rums Cerpintine. I'm not sure where else you could find Appleton Extra but you might look around and find another bottle or two to save some of the shipping costs. I'd also ask friends in your area if they would share an order to make the purchase less expensive for shipping. Most liquor stores have other spirits you and your friends probably want.

Drink Up NY, has free shipping on orders of more than $99 so it's worth checking it out.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
rumdog007

Welcome, Cerpintine!

I can second Ed's advice on Drink Up NY. They have the entire Brinley's flavored rums line, Neissons, El Dorado, Appleton Extra, of course, Doorly XO, and others. They ship the day after they get your order. From NY to CA, I get my orders in about 4 or 5 days. They pack the order in a molded form pack within a very tough box. AAAA++++
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
RonJames

the v/x with ginger ale and a piece of crystalized ginger is a fav. of mine. If funds are tight and you can't do the above shipping options(which are great shops and deals) then just hold out and wait till you see a sipper. If you've never sipped rum before and are looking to get in on the cheap try Bacardi 8. It is pretty widely available and usually under $20.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
TheRumelier

Appleton V/X with ginger is one of my favourites. The Extra is definetly a step up the Appleton Estate Ladder as they say. The V/X was designed as a transition rum, in other words it can be drank straight, maybe you should try it that way and see if you want to spend the difference for the Extra, which is designed as a premium sipper. In my opinion it is worth the extra cash, but as said earlier, keep looking around and you might save on the shipping.
Don't even get me started on the Master Blenders Legacy, which is worth every penny.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

The Reserve! The Reserve! It's a far nicer rum than the V/X and not as pricey as the Extra. Reserve and Ginger Beer is heavenly. Reserve is the most bang for the buck from Appleton.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
Cerpintine

Thanks for the help! I went ahead and ordered it this morning..I was looking around and at prices, and it boggles me why my local W&S was about to charge $37 a bottle?? AND they require you to get a least half a case. I'll definitely check out drinkupNY for more bulk, and I couldn't get anybody to go in with me and I really wanted it by Friday

So I'm new to the rum game! It's recommended to just drink it straight with maybe just an ice cube to chill it?
Cerpintine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
RonJames

Great part about rum, now wrong way to throw it down! Start off with it staight in a snifter or wine glass, to change it up throw in an ice cube, then go from there. The ginger beer sounds interesting, but I do prefer the non spicy type. There's a member on this site who has a rum bar in philly last i checked, type in rum bar philly and see what you get.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #9
Schock Therapy

Welcome to the Forums Serpentine!

I didn't think I would ever see higher prices for rum than we have up here in Canada! Even so, you will surely be happy with the Appleton Reserve. If you post a list of rums that your local liquor store stocks we will be happy to point you towards some other good sippers to try.

As for how to drink it, there are no rules. Personally I like to have my rum at room temperature with just a little splash of water. That seems to bring out the flavors a little better than on the rocks.
Schock Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #10
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schock Therapy View Post
I like to have my rum at room temperature with just a little splash of water. That seems to bring out the flavors a little better than on the rocks.
I agree Schock...What do you guys consider "room temperature" up there this time of year?

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions