MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

520 years ago in 1498, Europeans discovered what is now Guyana.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Meet the Distiller / Blender > Meet Joy Spence from Appleton Estate Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
TheRumelier

Default New Appleton Estate Rum

Hi Joy,
It was great to meet you earlier this year and spend the day with you. You had mentioned the new rum being developed that will only be available at the distillery. Any idea when I have to return to Jamaica to add a bottle to my collection?
Best Regards,
Bob Davies
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
Joy Spence

Appleton Estate Exclusive, which is a luxury rum that is only available at the Appleton Estate Rum Tour, went on sale in September 2009.

It is a luxurious blend of rums that were created to celebrate the terroir of the Nassau Valley where the Appleton Estate is located and it is presented in a proprietary bottle, whose design was inspired by Appleton Estate Jamaica Rum’s signature bottle, with a cork finish and is packaged in a beautiful wooden gift box. It retails for US$250.00.

I chose the rums that make up this blend because they reflect the elements of terroir that are exclusive to the Appleton Estate. The Nassau Valley’s rich fertile soil and unique microclimate that features warm days, gentle afternoon showers and cool nights are the perfect conditions for growing sugar cane and tropically ageing rum.

In addition, the pure water from the Estate’s natural spring; the varieties of sugar cane that we cultivate and our one-of-a-kind copper pot stills all contribute to the unique qualities and distinctive character of Appleton Estate Exclusive Edition. It is a rich, smooth full bodied rum and I would recommend that it be enjoyed neat or on the rocks.

Tasting Notes

Colour: Deep amber with red highlights that perfectly reflect the rich soil of the region.

Nose: Lots of oak and vanilla notes that are developed naturally during long years of ageing under tropical conditions.

Taste: The fruity sweetness that arises as a result of the varieties of sugar cane that are grown on the Estate perfectly balances the woodiness that is derived from ageing.

Finish: The finish is long and smooth.
Joy Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
TheRumelier

Hi Joy,
thanks for the update. Reading your notes had my mouth watering. It brought back fond memories of my trip with you to the Nassau Valley and trying to beat the rain showers, so we could visit the water source deep amongst the cane fields.
Looks like I will have to visit again soon so I can pick a bottle up for myself.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
RonJames

Thank you for the post Joy, it is greatly appreciated. I'll have to talk my wife into a jamaica trip, my bottle of appleton 30year old needs a roomate.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:19 AM   #5
madjames

I was at the distillery last week during a stop on the cruise ship. I bought a bottle of the Appleton Estate Exclusive. now waiting for the perfect time to open it. Great tour of your operations, but I would have liked to seen the end of the operations. I understand that the bottling etc is done in Kingston. Still a great tour even it was 100 degrees and a taxi ride from hell to get there.
madjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Meet the Distiller / Blender > Meet Joy Spence from Appleton Estate Rums