MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

90 years ago in 1930, Montebello Distillerie Carrere was established on Guadeloupe.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 06-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
SarasotaRum

Default Rum and Price Point Discussion...

As I learn, taste, and read more about Rum the following Generalizations have become apparent:

* The price paid for a bottle of rum does not always lead to a better tasting experience.
* Advanced aging does not always lead to a superior rum.
* A tasting occasion and tasting preference often overlooks a superior product on the basis of availability, affordability, or affinity. (this is a good thing)

I have often read posters state a particular preference for one brands 7 year over a 12. This curiousity naturally extends to purchasing decisions at the local liquor store and the myriad of strange new selections now available.

There are two many selections to count under the $20 mark. Most are distillied in the most economical way possible I'd imagine. The light shines through very easily. There are a few from central american countries which boast of cask aging and sipping which could be viable alternative for informal tasting if one was bold enough to give it a try. I did.

Ron Barcelo - Anejo / Dom. Rep. - light, but not harsh. Slight tinge characteristic of lower cost spirits, much better than cockspur 5, or flor de cana gold, suitable for shots straight between beers, probably keep your sniffers in the rack. $14

Ron Abuelo - Anejo / Panama - med., sweeter, some finish, definitely better for sipping. Small oak barrels, blended. Not quite premium league, but definitely in the ballpark. Some readers will a little less sophisticated palate will be pleased. $14 750l or $20 1.75l

My question for the forum is: do you know of any rum in this category that have seen the inside of a barrel that are worthy of a try ?

The $20- $29 range has the most gaps in it. This is where I would logically find most of my purchases, but it is where the liquor store has very little stock outside of the usual suspects. Robert's Rum Guide has many good canidates which might fit in this price range, I don't know. It was as if the store knew I was either going to purchase cheap rum or spend at least $35. quality 5 and 7 year rums are hard to find, but 15's and 21's are right there.

My question for the forum is: Do you have the same available problems with rum selections in the $20 range in your part of the country ?

The $30 and up range is well-round with Zacapa, De Cana, Viscaya, etc, etc, all in the fancy decanters with their prices clearly marked. These may be nice for the true armchair experience on the most special of occasions. The Flor De Cana 21 I tasted at Big Sugar last week was $72.

Final Thoughts: I guess what we are really talking about is a value proposition. If someone posts a positive review on a recent tasting, I think that only adds value. I look forward to reading your comments and sharing more in the future.

Sincerely,

Stan
SarasotaRum
Sarasota, Florida
SarasotaRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

There are a number of very good rums in the $20s. But there are also a number of rums which are commonly overlooked in the less than $20 price range. Mount Gay Sugar Cane Rum is commonly priced around or less than $20 and it shouldn't be overlooked.

Flor de Cana 4 year old white rum is priced at about the same as Bacardi and in my mind it should be priced above Bacardi's white rum. The larger bottles are an even better value.

And these are just two examples of nationally sold brands. In my experience, all too often import companies and marketers are looking to premiumize a product by charging more for it, with undesired results.

It is amazing to me that so-called premium vodkas sell at more than $25 and for that money I could stock a bar with rums that I'd be proud to serve my friends.

The short answer is that you'll have to learn about the different rums from experience or the experience of those you trust on this and other forums. There is no easy shortcut to experience. I've spent more than 15 years researching all the rums I could find and I'm introduced to new rums and new blendings of old rums every month.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
The Scribe

Another issue is location. Robert is located in Florida, where prices are around 10% less then they are in Massachusetts. Those in Florida, Illinois, California, and a few other states can get great selection at bargain prices. On the other hand, if you go up to New Hampshire, the prices are usually next to nothing, but the selection isn't so good. Meanwhile those of us in the rest of the northeastern United States, and even more so Canada and Europe have to pay much more. What might be a $20 rum in New Hampshire can be around $27 in Massachusetts, over $40 in Germany and a whopping $61 in England! (Note, however, that I converted all prices to American dollar equivalent. In nominal currency, it was between 27 and 30 in the last three cases.)

I know that wasn't necessarily very helpful, but I'll give you a few pretty decent rums that I can find for under $30 in Massachusetts:
- Angostura Rum 1919
- Rhum Barbancourt 5 Star (8 Years)
- Bacardi 8
- Bacardi Solera
- Cruzan Single Barrel
- El Dorado 12
- El Dorado 15 (Usually, occasionally it will be more.)
- Ron Pampero Aniversario

Hope this helps!
Cheers. - S
I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, and in the drink with a boat on the rocks.
The Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
Berbician

Angry

El Dorado 15 year old is £40 (US$78.40) in London.
Berbician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:14 AM   #5
Scottes

Khukri is about $20, and a good sipper. Santa Teresa Gran Reserva cost me $17, and is a damn fine rum (though on the edge of being a sipper). And I have to agree about the Barbancourt 5-Star - that stuff blew me away, and then I found out how cheap it was.

Scribe, where are you finding the El Dorado 12? I recently visited Blanchard's in Jamaica Plain, and they're no longer carrying it. I love the 15, but the 12 is almost as good and much cheaper.
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:05 AM   #6
The Scribe

Scottes -
I had seen it at Kappy's but I don't think I saw it last time I was there.
Cheers. - S
I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, and in the drink with a boat on the rocks.
The Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:50 AM   #7
Lew Barrett

Another under $30 rum of interest, especially to cigar smokers I think, is Centenario XX.
Lew Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
losty

So i am base in UK(sux...)
For 50+ pound what would people suggest?
I already got ed 12, 15, zacapa23, fdc12, diplo green....
I am thinking of ed21 and zacapa xo, but do they justify their price??? (i actually sampled zacapa xo at rumfest but was too drunk to remember....)
losty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:14 AM   #9
SeldomSeen

Zacapa XO is excellent IMHO. In my top 5. Not as sweet as Zacapa 23, but smoother and more complex. Try starting with it before you get drunk. I can't speak to the Eldorado 21, but it also comes highly recommended and is next on my high end "must try" list. But I don't think you could go wrong with either. Do they justify their price?..... I guess that's subjective. But if it was a Scotch or another Whiskey with similar pedigrees, it'd be a lot more. They're worth a try once anyways.

Last edited by SeldomSeen; 03-23-2011 at 07:41 AM.
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
gatomalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by losty View Post
So i am base in UK(sux...)
For 50+ pound what would people suggest?
I already got ed 12, 15, zacapa23, fdc12, diplo green....
I am thinking of ed21 and zacapa xo, but do they justify their price??? (i actually sampled zacapa xo at rumfest but was too drunk to remember....)
You won't get Zacapa XO or El Dorado 21 for anything close to £50 (more like £75-90). Are they worth the price? Only you can answer that!
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums