MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

90 years ago in 1930, Montebello Distillerie Carrere was established on Guadeloupe.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
stockdoct

Send a message via Yahoo to stockdoct
Default cruising with good rum

I admit it, I've become a rum snob. And almost every night as I relax I enjoy 3-4 ounces of a nice sipping rum such as Zaya, Matusalem, Pampero Anniversario, etc. Its just become part of my life (THANK YOU, members of this forum for introducing me to this pleasurable little habit) and my wife will drink a rum planter's punch or a rum runner.

Well, we're thinking about cruising the Caribbean on one of those monstrous oceanliners that are popular now --- 7-9 days perhaps. But here's the rub; if cruise ships are like most bars I've ever been, they won't have my rums, and what they have is pretty pricey (I've heard from friends a simple rum-and-coke made with Bacardi might cost $7-8) And the cruise ships appear VERY strict on their "No Alcohol Brought On Board" policy, scanning all luggage and personage and threatening disbarkment (is that a word??) if alcohol is found.

Adding up the probably costs, we might have to add $500 to the price of the cruise just to pay for our nightly habit!

Does anyone know tricks to bypass the law? How could I bring, say, two bottles worth of Matusalem Gran Reserve onto the boat without being detected? Has anyone had good or bad experiences in this regard?

Peace to all, this new year

Mike
stockdoct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Well, I think you're talking about rules as opposed to laws. If you're boarding in Puerto Rico your duty free purchases will be stored for you while you're cruising. When you get to an island if you buy a bottle of rum and carry it on board with your other tourist purchases you probably won't have a problem.

If you do figure it out telling everyone you meet on the ship will probably bring an end to the fun. Loose lips sink ships, or something like that.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
krustykrab

I've had good success - just sent you my method
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
jjwest

Everyone's good friend Leisure Master has an excellent, if not perfect solution to this kind of situation. (I just can't remember the name of the product he uses) If he doesn't see this and chime in himself, send him a message.
jjwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
leisure master

Ahhhh, I beleive my friend JJ is referring to the rum runner flasks. I use them for travel all the time.

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/

Kinda funny that the headline on their page says "Sneak Alcohol on Cruise Ships".....

I love these flasks - I will pre-mix up to 3 or 4 different cocktails for Nicole and me for travelling, store them in the smaller flasks and throw them in my suitcase. All you need to do is ice them down and possibly add fresh juice. Also good for storing your sipping rum.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
jjwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisure master View Post
Kinda funny that the headline on their page says "Sneak Alcohol on Cruise Ships".....
Even funnier is their pitch for their t-shirts:
RUM RUNNER FLASKS T-SHIRTS
Show off the inner pirate in you and proudly proclaim you’re a smuggler!

I can't think of a better way to see to it that your luggage gets special screening than to be crazy enough to be wearing this on your trip.
jjwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
Edoc

I would hope that the rum runner flasks (plastic containers) don't impart any plastic flavor to your liquor. Alcohol tends to be a pretty strong solvent.
Edoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
leisure master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoc View Post
I would hope that the rum runner flasks (plastic containers) don't impart any plastic flavor to your liquor. Alcohol tends to be a pretty strong solvent.
I have not noticed any change in flavor using the flasks - they are made from a pretty hard plastic.

Interesting question though - if I think of it tonight I may put some rum in a flask for the weekend and compare to a bottle pour on Monday.

Yes, I will do anything for science.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
fresnel151

No worries - Just place the rum bottle in a large freezer bag, roll up in bubble wrap and place it in your checked luggage. I have put liquor in checked luggage countless times with no problems at the departure port.

DO NOT put your rum in a bag that you will hand carrying on board at the departure port. They will take it from you but it will be returned it at the end of the cruise.

They will also take away liquor purchased at a port of call (if they find it) when you re-board and hold it until the last night of the cruise. If you must drink your purchases on board, then you'll need to use a rum runner or similar container. I have seen them check unsealed water and soda bottles to ensure they don't contain tasty adult beverages instead.

Many cruise lines have a Bon Voyage Dept where you can purchase 1 liter bottles of liquor and have them delivered to your room. No worries about smuggling, but the selection can be slim and prices high (about 2x liquor store price). For example, I purchased Gosling Black Seal this way last year.

Hope that helps.
fresnel151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
krustykrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisure master View Post
Ahhhh, I beleive my friend JJ is referring to the rum runner flasks. I use them for travel all the time.

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/
To borrow a word from the Guinness ads.... BRILLIANT!!!!
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions