MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

20 years ago in 2000, the Roig sugar factory in Yabucoa and the Coloso factory in Aguada, not far from where the first sugar cane had been brought to the island 385 years before, closed.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum News

Links to articles about our favorite spirit

Old 06-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Default Jimmy Buffett Rum

To follow his Margaritaville Tequila, there is now Margaritaville Tequila. I found this on the Jimmy Buffet News forum.

I'm a little surprised at the comments by that forum's members so far.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

We ate in Margaritaville at MoBay airport and it was a shrine to 70's pop albums, simple food and hard liquor. I'm unfamiliar with Jimmy Buffet as I'm a bit young - is he a big deal in the US music biz?
Old 06-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
martincate

Wow, his fans are pretty tough on him.

I let some of the Florida Ministry members comment on Jimmy's popularity.

It's a long esoteric story, but basically Buffet was an important part of killing tiki in America, so I'm not a fan.
martincate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
Tiare

I`m not familiar with J Buffet either..would like to know the story..killing tiki??

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Here's a link to Radio Margaritaville on Sirius satellite and the internet. Jimmy Buffett is a singer songwriter who by his own admission has never won any music awards, but has a huge following. He still tours and spent time in the islands in the 70s and 80s and I'd see him occasionally in the 90s.

He has built an empire and enjoys a pretty good lifestyle in spite of pissing off a few of the wrong people from time to time - part of being a character I suppose. I used to see him in the early 70s on the west coast of Florida playing bars and such before Jimmy Buffet and the Coral Reefer band made it to the big time.

He's taken the island theme to his fans who really enjoy his music. I can't say I own any of his music, though there are millions who do. He has written a few memorable lines and continues to release music every year or so. Not bad for a guy with a guitar who grew up on the Gulf coast not far from New Orleans.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Jimmy Buffett personifies the island (rum) lifestyle. He is associated with Key West, Margaritas, sailboats and American nautical themes. He has a devoted following (parrot heads) and many albums of lighthearted folk-rock music. More recently, he's been involved in food and drink establishments based on this songs "Margaritaville" and "Cheeseburger In Paradise."

As Ed mentioned, his branded tequila and rum are his latest licensing deals.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
martincate

In a nutshell, here are a few edited posts from Tiki Central that Illustrate why Buffet isn't tiki and vice versa. There's nothing wrong with Buffet per se, it's just that there's a distinction between tiki and Buffet. It's like what Florida calls a tiki bar is not a tiki bar. (You need tikis to be a tiki bar - a thatched roof doesn't get the job done. This conversation is pretty off-topic for the Ministry, so probably better after this to turn to Tiki Central for more information- just posting here in case anyone is interested).

From Sven Kirsten, Author of "The Book of Tiki":

"Knowingly or not, J.B. contributed to the decline of Tiki culture, allow me to quote the Book of Tiki, page 52:

"In the 70’s, the thus segregated Polynesian style was watered down further through a certain “Jimmy Buffet-ization”, the introduction of a generic tropical island theme with no definite identity. Be it the Carribean, Mexico, or Polynesia, everywhere was “Margarita-ville”. The popular T.V. show “Fantasy Island” typified this new p.c. detachment from cultural complicity, creating a world of white wicker colonial style decor mixed with exotic plants.
The fern bar replaced the Tiki bar."

It's just two different styles, and we like to keep 'em apart. Tiki to us has style, while Buffet represents un-style."

From Al Knepper, long-time tikiphile:

"This subject often comes up, and there are definitive answers to it. Many members of TC are also fans of Mr. Buffet, personally I enjoy Buffet shows and have seen many. When you talk about Buffet here, you are framing him in the context of the demise of the Tiki Bar. Americas love for the Tropical Cocktail was popularized in the early 30s and is still alive today. The Heyday of Tiki Temple, however, is long since past. Kon Tiki, Don the Beachcomber, Kon Tiki Ports, The Luau, have long since closed. There are many factors for this shift in popular taste. I would point to the Viet Nam War for helping change popular taste away from South Sea Tropical Fantasies. With Nixon drinking at Trader Vic's young people sought their own form of entertainment, different than their fathers idea of a good time. Also in the 70s popular taste changed from Mai-Tais to Margaritas. Many Tiki bars opted for a generic Tropical theme closer to the Caribbean than the South Pacific. Jimmy Buffet's popularity as well as his image of margaritas on a Caribbean beach was a death knell for the Tiki Bar. Was it Jimmy's fault, no. Did his mystique help shift popular taste, perhaps. So he represents a change in a culture we very much love."

From Adrian:

"In the heydey of the Polynesian Pop era it was considered a formal affair when visiting a Polynesian restaurant - Don the Beachcomer, Trader Vics; people would dress up to have dinner there. These were exotic restaurants with exotic meals in exotic surroundings.

Jimmy Buffet is more of the Caribbean and/or South of the Border beach-bar lifestyle. Not exotic by any means but more "lets get drunk and screw." When I picture a Jimmy Buffet gathering, I picture tequila shots, Corona Extra and Fish Tacos."

_________

JB in recent years has tried to jump on the tiki bandwagon- his last tour was called the Tiki Time tour, but it just rings false. Certainly he espouses an island lifestyle, and that more than certainly can include rum. It's not worth getting too upset about, it's just that the tiki aesthetic and the Buffet aesthetic are different. We don't have any Buffet on the jukebox at Forbidden Island for example, and no one asks for it.

To come back to Florida for one second, however, while there are thousands of thatched hut Buffet-y beach bars calling them tiki bars, Florida is also home to the finest example on Earth of a true mid-century Tiki Palace: the Mai Kai in Ft. Lauderdale. Please visit it if you can for great vintage exotic rum drinks, incredible decor, (so-so) food, and a fantastic live stage show. A true living museum to the past. www.maikai.com
martincate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
Tiare

Thanks for all this weatlh of information!! there is really a distinction between Tiki and Buffet.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiare View Post
Thanks for all this weatlh of information!! there is really a distinction between Tiki and Buffet.
This is the first time I've seen those two words in the same sentence. I didn't see Buffett's last tour or hear the music.

That's Jimmy Buffett, a distant relative of Warren Buffett.
Ministry of Rum

Old 06-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #10
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Warren is Jimmy Buffett's cousin's uncle. They are related.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News