MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

229 years ago in 1790, J. M was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Off Topic > Other discussion
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Other discussion

If it doesn't fit anywhere else put it here.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:43 AM   #1
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Default History of Rum in the New World

There has been a lot of discussion about where rum was first made. Mount Gay claims to be the oldest rum in the world based on a property title from 1703 that mentioned a still.

While reading A Jamaican Plantation by Michael Craton and James Walvin, a very well researched book about Worthy Park in Jamaica, the inventory Francis Price's Guanaboa estate in 1673 included 2 stills, a boiling house, sugar pots, puncheons, etc.

The Royal Navy celebrated their victory over the Spanish in Jamaica in 1655 with rum for all the sailors of the deck.

It is well documented that Columbus brought sugar cane to Hispaniola in 1493 but I've yet to find any documentation of where rum was made before 1655 or in the Canary islands where Columbus picked up the sugar cane that he brought to the New World.

I'll be interested to see what our members have found.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:40 AM   #2
RumBarPhilly

Besides being written in the book, do you know of any documentation proving the stills in action in Jamaica in 1655?
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:12 AM   #3
Tiare

Its a real interesting topic and i look forward to hear what those who knows has to say..

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumBarPhilly View Post
Besides being written in the book, do you know of any documentation proving the stills in action in Jamaica in 1655?
Francis Price's Guanaboa plantation was a working sugar estate in 1673 as witnessed by the inventory of two stills, boiling house, sugar pots and other assets including slaves. Unfortunately, most of the records in 17th century Jamaica were destroyed by fire, earthquakes and other disasters.

I didn't ever see those stills working with my own eyes, but the fact that there were two stills tells me that this was more than a speculative real estate move by the original owner. There is also reference to the amount of rum made in the early years of the distillery. It should also be noted that this wasn't an inventory of an estate sale but rather an inventory of a working estate.

Worthy Park has only been owned by three families. Here's more from the Worthy Park Estate website.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
RumBarPhilly

I'm confused, it says in their timeline:

1741 - First record of rum production 3,000 gallons produced

It says they didnt even take over the estate until 1660. Was the previous owners making rum?
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
Torpnubber

This has been a topic that has casually fascinated me for some time.

I believe, Ed, that you feel that the origin of rum began with either the Portuguese and Spanish colonies and I agree.
After reading Wayne Curtis' entertaining book and a Bottle of Rum, I started to do a little investigating.

The Portuguese were growing sugar cane as early as the mid 1400's, certainly in the Algarve and probably in the Alentejo, where my parents were born. There are several references to the "alambic" in Portuguese writings at this time. The spirit distilled at that time was not rum, though. The spirit was distilled from grape bagasse, so technically a brandy. Sugar processing then moved to Madeira and the Cape Verde Islands in the early 1500's and then to Brazil.

The first written proof of Brazil's sugar industry dates to 1516, and by 1519, Brazilian sugar was on the market in Antwerp. The first reference I could find to sugar cane spirit dates to about 1532, when a Portuguese captain of the Sгo Vincente, transported the "vinho da cana-de-aзъcar" to Brazil from Madeira. It's apparent that the Portuguese were perfecting distillation techniques, learned perhaps from Arabian culture. I haven't been able to find a transition period from grape to sugar cane distillation, that's going to take a little more digging.

From this point on, wherever you had sugar production, you had cachaзa

It's at this point that I'm having a little difficulty. My interest is to find the longest continuing producer of cachaзa, and see if that company predates any of the colonial English producers in the 1600's.

I've been trying to acquire a couple of books by Luнs da Cвmara Cascudo, a Brazilian historian and scientist. He was the preeminent authority on cachaзa.
His belief, from the little I can find, is that cachaзa was first produced in Europe or Africa. In Prelъdio da Cachaзa, Cascudo writes that there were over seventy distilleries in Salvador, the largest city in Brazil in the late 1500's. Most of these were either small artisanal producers or rogue individual entities. Perhaps the oldest known producer is among these seventy.

I haven't been able to get a copy of Prelъdio da Cachaзa, it's just not available here in the States. There is a copy on file at Princeton University's library, about 25 miles from me in Pennsylvania. The book is readily available in Brazil, but I have some reservations purchasing a book online from Brazil. There is also a specialty bookstore in New York that deals specifically in Luso-Brazilian literature, and although they don't have this book on file, they could probably get a copy.

If anyone is interested, I'll keep you posted on any progress
Torpnubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
Tiare

Its indeed very interesting, please keep us posted!

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumBarPhilly View Post
I'm confused, it says in their timeline:

1741 - First record of rum production 3,000 gallons produced

It says they didnt even take over the estate until 1660. Was the previous owners making rum?
Francis Price was given the estate in 1663 upon the death of his friend Captain William Clee. It appears that the inventory above was from Francis Price's nearby Guanaboa estate which he sold to Peter Beckford on Oct 3, 1673.

I'm surprised at the late date of 1741 for the first record of rum production from Worthy Park since there was a blight that affected the cocoa trees on that island in 1670 at which time sugar became the dominant crop.
Ministry of Rum

Old 04-08-2008, 12:03 AM   #9
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpnubber View Post
I haven't been able to get a copy of Prelъdio da Cachaзa, it's just not available here in the States. There is a copy on file at Princeton University's library, about 25 miles from me in Pennsylvania. The book is readily available in Brazil, but I have some reservations purchasing a book online from Brazil. There is also a specialty bookstore in New York that deals specifically in Luso-Brazilian literature, and although they don't have this book on file, they could probably get a copy. If anyone is interested, I'll keep you posted on any progress
Have you contacted the Academia da Cachaзa in Leblon and Barba? They gave me a booklet listing much information about cachaзa products, reporting on 90 notable spirits in terms of ABV, color, age, distillery, location, barrel woods, history and tasting notes.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #10
JMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Francis Price was given the estate in 1663 upon the death of his friend Captain William Clee. It appears that the inventory above was from Francis Price's nearby Guanaboa estate which he sold to Peter Beckford on Oct 3, 1673.

I'm surprised at the late date of 1741 for the first record of rum production from Worthy Park since there was a blight that affected the cocoa trees on that island in 1670 at which time sugar became the dominant crop.
How economically viable was rum in the 16th and 17th centuries? Was it comparable to today?
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Off Topic > Other discussion