MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

164 years ago in 1858, Rhums Saint Maurice was established in French Guiana.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:10 PM   #21
Dood

I believe it. When people find out I'm in to rums but that I try to avoid Captain and Bacardi I often get asked if that means that I drink Malibu because that's the only other rum anyone seems to know about.

It's a sad state of affairs...but I work to open people's eyes to the broader world as much as I can.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:46 PM   #22
Scottes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood View Post
but I work to open people's eyes to the broader world as much as I can.
Yes, same here. After the first tasting I did for a bunch of friends I was overwhelmed with how overwhelmed they were. And they were a bunch of tiki cocktail enthusiasts, but few of them ever tasted the rum itself. I can wait until I get a room full of vodka drinkers and open their eyes and taste buds.
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:10 AM   #23
Dood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottes View Post
Yes, same here. After the first tasting I did for a bunch of friends I was overwhelmed with how overwhelmed they were. And they were a bunch of tiki cocktail enthusiasts, but few of them ever tasted the rum itself. I can wait until I get a room full of vodka drinkers and open their eyes and taste buds.
I've been mostly working with the "low-hanging fruit" of whiskey drinkers. I only say "low-hanging" because it's been incredibly easy to bring fans of Bourbon, Scotch, Canadian, Irish, Whatever over to aged rums - almost TOO easy.

Maybe I need to focus on gin-drinkers...
Old 11-29-2007, 06:06 AM   #24
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
I've met a lot of people in the last fifteen years who didn't realize that Bacardi. And an equally large number of people who couldn't name more than two rum brands. One of the most compelling reasons that I wrote my first book was that hordes of people were coming to the Caribbean every week with the thought of lying on the beach and drinking rum all day, but didn't know anything but Bacardi and were afraid to try anything else in large part because they had never heard of any of the other brands and were afraid to try them.

Agreed Ed. Puerto Rico does not have a monopoly on "buying the hype"...Most of the rest of the world did too.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:11 AM   #25
Hank Koestner

I speak frequently with people here, bartenders included, about rum. I try to educate them a little, and tanatalize thier curiosities. I see more good rums available at bars, but it is a slow process. I am thinking about trying to start a local rum club, and hopefully, by the spring, my schedule will settle down enough that I will have the time.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:28 AM   #26
Matusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood View Post
*starts calculating how much money he'd have if he could liquidate his wife's My Little Pony collection (1200 plastic equestrian statues)*

Speaking of Bacardi and their success...I was reading an article somewhere today about the fact that rum sales are on the decline and a lot of people are blaming Bacardi's successful bid to promote its brand over its spirit - i.e. people know they're ordering Bacardi, but not necessarily that they're ordering rum.

I'll have to see I can find that article again.
Following your note, I was recently looking at another article that ranked brands by profits tallied (worldwide). What is obvious up front, we can't be sure what the parameters were to measure this but I thought it was interesting in comparison that for example:

Jack Daniels ranked #3 for gross margin. They sold 4.7M 9 liter cases with a total gross margin of $400M.

Bacardi ranked #5 for gross margin. They sold 8.7M 9 liter cases with a total gross margin of $295M.

(*M = million)

What struck me is in the comparison and I realize Jack Daniels commands a slight premium over the average bottle of Bacardi, but I figured that the cost to produce JD products because whiskey requirements and standards, would outweigh Bacardi's rum production costs. So I thought it strange that Bacardi would move almost twice as much product but land $105M shorter.

I tend to agree. A lot of people have no idea what rum is made from, where it was made etc, but they are all familiar with Bacardi.

Is Bacardi barred from entry to France? I don't recall seeing any the times I was there and distinctly recall a tourist once asking a tender for a B&C - I didn't catch all the 'play by play' but the man left thirsty.
Matusalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:39 PM   #27
Rum Runner

Bacardi is not only sold in France, it also maintains distilling and bottling facilities there.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #28
Dood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Koestner View Post
I speak frequently with people here, bartenders included, about rum. I try to educate them a little, and tanatalize thier curiosities. I see more good rums available at bars, but it is a slow process. I am thinking about trying to start a local rum club, and hopefully, by the spring, my schedule will settle down enough that I will have the time.
I've been considering doing the same thing. Currently my retirement dream (well, one of them) is to open a bar with a focus on rum here in SoCal with my brother.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:45 PM   #29
Scottes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matusalem View Post
Following your note, I was recently looking at another article that ranked brands by profits tallied (worldwide).
Do you have a link? I'm quite curious.
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #30
Matusalem

No it was in May / June 2007's "Market Watch" magazine or trade journal what ever it is called. If you really want it, shoot me a snailer and I can try to xerox it to you.

Aside from the charted rankings, particularly disturbing about the article is the under tone suggestion that merchants and distributors should practically abandon every thing that isn't in the top 25.

Southern Comfort is #25 to give you some idea of how grim things would be were that philosophy to become contagious. Bacardi, Captain Morgan and Malibu would be your choices in rum.
Matusalem is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions