MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

130 years ago in 1889, the Bundaberg Distillery was established in Queensland, Australia.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
forrest

Oh Canada-- Ben and Dom welcome!

i can't wait to read about your experiences in rum!!

Enjoy..
forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:07 AM   #12
Don Piero

Bon Soir les amis,
Welcome to the Ministry of Rum.

Best rum selection in Canada is in Nova Scotia which also has one of the better tax systems for spirits (flat tax vs progressive tax in Quebec and Ontario) where the more expensive spirits are better priced eg. Eldorado 21yr old in Ontario is $109 vs $76 in Nova Scotia.
Don Piero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
leisure master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
i'm planing a trip to NYC in two week ad it would be a nice opportunity to get some other brands we don't have here. If anyone know's a good liquor store in NYC that a could get some nice treasure, plese feel free to notice me.
Welcome to the forum Ben & Dom - glad you are enjoying it as much as I am. After reading the messages from both of you, neither of you have any reason to apologize for your English - I have seen MUCH worse from some of my fellow Americans

When you visit NYC, you may want to check out Astor Wine & Spirits. They are a very large wine & liquor store with a nice selection of rums. They are located in the East Village at Lafayette & East 4th street. You can either give that address to a taxi driver or if you taking the subway, the best stop is Astor Place on the 6 line.

While you are in the neighborhood, you can also find Broadway Liquors less than 2 blocks away (Broadway and Astor Place). They have a nice rum selection too, but not as large as Astor Wines.

Hopefully you have read other threads with NYC information, including Pegu Club, Elettaria, Flatiron Lounge, etc. as nice places to visit to have great cocktails.
leisure master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #14
dom

Thanks Leisure master.

Looking foward visiting those places.
dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #15
dom

I'm back from NYC. Got myself a nice bottle of Gosling Old Reserve from Morrell's.

The alcool is pretty expensive in NYC except at the place leisure master mentionned before on Broadway. You can make good deals on wine there too.

I have heard in a post before that the duty fees when you bring more bottle than you are allowed are cheap. That is false. For a botthe of liquor, the charge you twice the value of the bottle. For a bottle of wine they charge you about the value of the bottle. Lucky for me a had a bottle of wine so it cost me only 20$.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #16
leisure master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
I have heard in a post before that the duty fees when you bring more bottle than you are allowed are cheap. That is false. For a botthe of liquor, the charge you twice the value of the bottle. For a bottle of wine they charge you about the value of the bottle. Lucky for me a had a bottle of wine so it cost me only 20$.
Dom - glad you had a good time in NYC, but very sorry to hear about your customs experience. However, I don't understand why it cost so much. I was looking at this document below and I am not sure why the duties you paid were so high, did the customs agent provide a form that contained taxes other than duty?

hotdocs.usitc.gov/tata//hts/other/rel_doc/simp/pub3318/SimpCh22.PDF

Rum is on page 5, BTW.
leisure master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:22 AM   #17
LCchemist

Unfortunately the tariff schedule referenced above is for bringing alcohol into the US from Canada. It's a different set of rules for bringing alcohol into Canada from the US.
LCchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #18
dom

I think LChemist is right. In Quebec we have this Liquor Board who control all the alcool buisiness, that's why the duties was so high.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:36 PM   #19
Ben

Default Customs

The idea behind having taxes at this ludicrous level is to protect the already ludicrous prices at which hard liquor is sold locally. If we could buy liquor easily in the states, we would never buy locally anything remotely expensive.

I got burned once but for good. I was expecting to pay taxes, but not that much. I went in Plattsburgh to fetch some Barbancourt since it was not sold anymore in Quebec, picked up bottles for about 150$, and had to pay an extra 375$ at the customs. Now everytime I go in the States, strangely, it's always at least for 48 hrs; that way I can at least bring back a 40oz bottle free (they let you away with two 26oz).
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions