MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

59 years ago in 1960, Embottelladora Azuaya SA was established in Ecuador.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rhum Agricole

Fresh sugar cane juice rhum from the French islands.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
DJ Mal

I like La Mauny 1749. I use it as a sipper and a mixer. I think its a great entry level agricole.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #12
Merlino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berbician View Post
There's no need to correct you - you've summed it up pretty well. As far as I know, to gain an AOC designation, the rum has to be from Martinique or Guadeloupe (and its dependencies). That is, it has to be made in a Caribbean territory that is technically part of France. Haiti stopped being part of France in 1804.
Then, does a rum have to be an AOC to qualify as an agricole? That would mean it's a matter of origin only, not production method or flavour.
Merlino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:13 PM   #13
Berbician

Not as far as I know.

To get an AOC designation, a rum has to be an agricole. But to be an agricole, a rum doesn't necessarily need to have an AOC designation. The term "agricole" can be used quite loosely - rums from Mauritius and Reunion are often described as agricoles, but that term isn't very often used to describe Haitian rums.

Perhaps someone who knows more about it than I do could help us out.
Berbician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #14
DJ Mal

This subject has been the topic of much debate on the internet.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #15
Merlino

If that is the case, then I've no interest in repeating it, merely in discovering agricoles that take a sort of middle ground between the truly hardcore agricoles and the softer Haitian Barbancourt (so as not to call it an agricole ).

The La Mauny you mentioned, is that a good entry level agricole in terms of not too much agricole funk, DJ Mal? And how about the La Mauny ambre? That one seems more readily available here in the Netherlands.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #16
AdOrAdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
Then, does a rum have to be an AOC to qualify as an agricole? That would mean it's a matter of origin only, not production method or flavour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berbician View Post
Not as far as I know.

To get an AOC designation, a rum has to be an agricole. But to be an agricole, a rum doesn't necessarily need to have an AOC designation
Yep, i think thats right

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mal View Post
This subject has been the topic of much debate on the internet.
Quote:
If that is the case, then I've no interest in repeating it,
For me, that last comment gets down to the important bit: white / amber / vieux / AOC / agrciole / french style rhums how do they taste? Especially the Mauny?

I can get: JM, Mauny, Saint James, Clement, J Bally & Trois Riveras.
I can't get: Depaz, Dillon, Le Galion SAEM, Niesson, Simon, Dormy, Handy,Rum Madkand or Saint Etienne.

I could only name Depaz & Neisson off the list I of that I cant get...
AdOrAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #17
DJ Mal

Quote:
If that is the case, then I've no interest in repeating it, merely in discovering agricoles that take a sort of middle ground between the truly hardcore agricoles and the softer Haitian Barbancourt (so as not to call it an agricole ).

The La Mauny you mentioned, is that a good entry level agricole in terms of not too much agricole funk, DJ Mal? And how about the La Mauny ambre? That one seems more readily available here in the Netherlands.
I think the La Mauny Ambre and 1749 are the same (aged 18 months 40%). I've only noticed a funk in some of the unaged agricoles. For me just a year of aging takes out the funk. The 1749 has a nice flavor and the price is right too.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #18
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I read a lot about funk on this forum and in the bartender community. What I consider to be funk is not a good thing. Well made agricole, or any other rum, shouldn't have anything offensive in the aroma or taste. If, however, the sugar cane isn't fresh, or the fermentation was rushed or bacteria was allowed to grow in the fermentation you will get some sour flavors that I associate with what I hear referred to as funk.

In agricole in particular, the flavor should be fresh, not musty. When I drink a well made agricole rhum I can see and taste the sugar cane from which it was made.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #19
Merlino

Thanks Edward. Do you mean to say that some brands display that funk and are inferior to other brands, or are all brands prone to funk from time to time?

Waht would be your suggestion re a good starting agricole?

Many thanks!
Old 04-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #20
Jolipapa

You're roughly right, but somewhat roughly...

- Agricole means it is made from fresh (count in hours) cane juice. Stop.

- AOC is not meant as a garanty of quality for the taste, but is for the way rum is made, kind of strict quality control along the whole production process. All the agricole rums produced in Martinique are not granted an AOC.
Please forget (keep it for the US market - see Bourbon/Whiskey) any thought of protectionism...
Martinique is the only island to have earned an AOC so far, but on the sister island, Guadeloupe (and Marie-Galante), you have also agricole made the same way and sooner or later they will benefit of AOC, given they respect the "cahier des charges".
But rums from these islands will always keep their taste differences, as stated elsewhere, soil, kind of cane, etc., do matter.

OK, other islands make some rum the agricole way, Haiti, the Reunion and Maurice. Process for Réunion agricole is exactly the same as from her West Indies DOM sisters, they have no AOC as they produce both kinds of rums and do not start the process to get it (this is costly, time consuming and they don't bother to as all sells right away - see how hard it is to find Rivière du Mât - LOL).

On the other hand you can't compare a young rum (St James ambré) and a VSOP. They don't play in the same league. Exactly as any other rums from any other places. Who would compare a white Demerara and a 12 YO?

I'll end this (too) long post pointing a difference you may have overlooked.
Cocktails are very common in the US, quite a culture there and there's a lot of, maybe a new one everyday, mixing all kinds of rums and any other liquids.
Those who have been in FWI or France have surely noticed that except for the Ti punch (all day long, every where, always white rum, 40/50/55 or 60°), Daïquiri and Mai Tai in some places (and not before the afternoon), real cocktails are not in the French tradition... older rums (more than 3 years ) are intended for sipping, the way of a cognac or armagnac, the older the better, after a good meal.
Young colored (ambré) rums are an oddity to me, and I would be very embarrassed of what to deal with...
And IMHO Neisson is over the lot.
Jolipapa is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole