MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

521 years ago in 1498, Europeans discovered what is now Guyana.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rhum Agricole

Fresh sugar cane juice rhum from the French islands.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #21
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squire View Post
I have found almost no references to the rhum you mentioned. "Darboussier Hors d'Age" Do you know if it is available outside the US and the Islands?
I believe Darboussier is only available in Guadeloupe. I was given a bottle by Charles Alkhal of Imex LLC in Boca Raton as we discussed importing and distribution issues in Florida. He also told me of a very rare and precious 24 year old version of that rum. I am very impressed with these rums of Guadeloupe.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #22
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Perhaps I misunderstood, but I was going by the following description of Distillerie Bologne in the Rum Index of this website:

"Bologne is unique in that the rhum is distilled to only 55є to 60є. This allows more of the flavor of the cane juice to come through in the finished product. The low distillation purity also requires careful quality control of the cane, the fermentation process, and the trained fingers of the distiller or maоtre rhumier. Cane cut from a burned field, for instance, would negatively affect the taste of the finished product."

Perhaps that is dated information, but I await clarification.
After checking my notes I will confirm that the above is true according to my interviews at the distillery a few years ago. This is unique as all of the other distillers distill their rhum agriocle to about 70% abv.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #23
krustykrab

Default Agricoles in France

Just got back from a week on business in Avignon, France (yeah, yeah, I know it's a tough job, but somebody has to do it...!!)

Anyway, Ti punch was on the menu just about everywhere! Tasty!!

As was mentioned earlier, agricoles from gaudeloupe and martinique are available in the supermarkets, although the selection was not great. There were mainly cheap, probably nasty, generic rhums, such as negrita, spoken about on the main page here recently (glad I avoided that one!)

But I did manage to find a blanc Pere Labat (from Marie Gallant, guad.), the 55% agricole blanc from Dillon (Martinique) (a 50% version was also available), and the Montebello 15 ans. Saw a J. Bally 3 ans, which I wish I would have bought now as well. Havana club and Bacardi were the only 'reg' rums seen around. And, of course, drank LOTS of fabulous local wines! It was fun - can't wait to try my new acquisitions!
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #24
gatomalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krustykrab View Post
As was mentioned earlier, agricoles from gaudeloupe and martinique are available in the supermarkets, although the selection was not great. There were mainly cheap, probably nasty, generic rhums, such as negrita, spoken about on the main page here recently (glad I avoided that one!)
Despite the rum tradition of the French Caribbean, France is a major let-down when it comes to rum. Rum enjoys secondary importance behind wine, cognac and liqueurs. Consequently, it can be hard to find anything more than just a poor selection of bog standard agricoles and the usual suspects like Bacardi, Havana Club and of course the notorious Negrita. If you want to find anything more than this, then you will have to do your homework and go out of your way, especially outside of the major cities.
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #25
The Squire

Default Just beneath the surface...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatomalo View Post
Despite the rum tradition of the French Caribbean, France is a major let-down when it comes to rum. Rum enjoys secondary importance behind wine, cognac and liqueurs. Consequently, it can be hard to find anything more than just a poor selection of bog standard agricoles and the usual suspects like Bacardi, Havana Club and of course the notorious Negrita. If you want to find anything more than this, then you will have to do your homework and go out of your way, especially outside of the major cities.
Ah, to be sure wine will always be the swarthy swashbuckler of France, and other prima donnnas like brandies and cognacs will continue to hog the limelight, but underneath the skin, Paris is full of the carribean spirit, with a fine range of rums and rhums in the deli's, specialty shops, the small bottle shops, and some great little bars that pride themselves on select cocktails, extensive choice and the tinkle of carribean accents to serve you.

And if your search is fruitless, take heart, you can always drown your sorrows in plenty of pastis, calvados and other local specialties that you just can't get anywhere else in quantity...

viva la france

Old 03-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #26
gatomalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squire View Post
Ah, to be sure wine will always be the swarthy swashbuckler of France, and other prima donnnas like brandies and cognacs will continue to hog the limelight, but underneath the skin, Paris is full of the carribean spirit, with a fine range of rums and rhums in the deli's, specialty shops, the small bottle shops, and some great little bars that pride themselves on select cocktails, extensive choice and the tinkle of carribean accents to serve you.
Indeed, Paris has everything! But unfortunately, the rest of France has very little.
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:00 AM   #27
Cyrille

You will find mos agricole whites in supermarkets but indeed not all chains have listed all brands.
When it comes to aged rums you'll have to go to liquor stores because they are not yet considered well enough to massively challenge scotch...
Check this small company in guadeloupe otherwise : http://www.planetrum.com But i don't know if they ship to the us ..
Cyrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #28
rumdog007

Welcome, Cyrille!

Thank you for the information.
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:30 PM   #29
RonJames

welcome aboard cyrille, I'd never seen that site. Its amazing what you get for rhum sites when you go to yahoo france.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #30
Rumpelteazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatomalo View Post
Just back from a couple weeks in Paris. Must agree with gatomalo, rum selection there was disappointing, even in specialty liquor stores. Heavy on the bat and other low end swill, with only a couple of agricoles thrown in (Niesson, Dillon, etc.), and prices much higher than US.

Actually came home empty handed.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole