MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

522 years ago in 1498, Europeans discovered what is now Guyana.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #81
Frankee01

Default Rubber stopper tops

I used to have a collection of Virgils root beer bottles. Tall bottles with a metal latch system attached to a Porcelain Stopper fitted with a rubber ring. How would one of those bottle fair in containing Remaining rum?
Frankee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #82
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankee01 View Post
I used to have a collection of Virgils root beer bottles. Tall bottles with a metal latch system attached to a Porcelain Stopper fitted with a rubber ring. How would one of those bottle fair in containing Remaining rum?
This type of system can work well...As long as you fill the bottle well into the neck and DO NOT let the rum come in contact with the rubber sealer. Alcohol and rubber sealers are not a good mix in my opinion.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #83
thrall

Alright..well that answered a few questions i was getting ready to ask.....Your right..the purchasing of...as opposed to the consumption of...is going to get a bit out of hand....lol

A couple of questions i still have that i would never have thought of are

1.. the color of the bottles...does that matter???

2..would vacuum sealing a bottle of rum...and then sealing it with wax work? (i think i would use food grade paraffin wax from the canning section of the market instead of candle wax)

3.. does the original alcohol content count in how long it will last? Do overproff rums have a longer/better shelf life?

Old 01-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #84
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I wouldn't vacuum seal a bottle of volatile alcohol since you'd loose alcohol in the process. Filling the bottle as Rum Runner suggests is probably better.

Sealing the top of a bottle if it is going to be stored for a long time is probably a good idea. Modern closures are pretty good but rubber should be avoided.

Storing alcohol in a dark place is more important than the color of the bottle. I've seen bottles of alcohol stored in a bar window where the color of the spirit was bleached by the sun.

The abv isn't going to impact shelf life any appreciable amount above about 20%abv.

All of this is assuming that we're not talking about spiirts infused with real fruit in which case dark bottles and high proof spirits would be in order for a longer shelf life.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #85
1967cougar

I apologize if already mentioned, but for my scotches, I will put clean (boiled clean) glass marbles into my bottles to displace the air. Seems to work just fine, and appears logical at first glance....
1967cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #86
rumdog007

A pretty good idea!
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #87
Edward Hamilton
Founder

That is a great idea cougar, but I lost my marbles years ago. Guess I could buy some more, I'll take a bottle to the store with me to make sure they'll fit.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:17 AM   #88
benzopyrene

I sat here reading this whole thread thinking...what about marbles, but then somebody mentioned that. Another thing that might work, but you'd have to figure out a good way to use would be dry ice....maybe silly, but CO2 is an inert gas and one would suspect that if you could find a nice two way valve cork that lets air out at a certain pressure that you could drop a small piece of dry ice into your bottle put it away and get the same pressure and zero to very little oxygen in your bottle no matter how much liquor is in there. Don't know if such a thing exist but might make somebody some money! :-) dont know if maybe filling up a large plastic bag with your bottle, cork and dry ice until full of gas and then corking it would do the same thing, but maybe... Anyway, just my thoughts. I loved this thread BTW. Cheers!
benzopyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #89
StephenLouis

I have nothing to add to this thread except : Thank-you. This was exactly what I was researching today: Rum storage after opening. As a newish rum appreciator I tend to buy way more bottles then I can drink and many are only missing a few oz's, and will stay that way for many months if not a year or more.
StephenLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #90
Grim

It has already been suggested in a way, but to reiterate the point... I highly suggest purchasing 3-75s (375ml bottles) and small boston rounds. Once the bottle volume, or standing height, is low enough you would do well to top off smaller bottles to stay the character. In fact, if you purchase in dual - which is always a good idea; one for now, and another bottle to return to - you can break the first bottle down into samples for fellow forum members and 375s for drinking...

5 oz. is probably a more versatile volume come to think of it, but where do you purchase these sizes?

Light, heat, evaporation and oxygen... they all have the capacity to add or subtract from the organoleptic interest inherent to your spirit.
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions

Tags
how long store rum , how to store rum , store rum