MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

112 years ago in 1908, Varela Hermanos SA was established in Panama.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
LaQuesta

Default Zacapa XO

My spouse just returned from Guatemala. As an "A" team member of the LaQuesta team (We call her Agent A2.) she brought back a couple of bottles of Zacapa XO and one of the Anniversario.

The bottles of XO are 750 ml thereby I presume, signaling some intent to export to the United States at some time in the near future.

Unfortunately, she also reports that it was darned hard to get the stuff and that it kept flying off of the shelves as fast as it showed up in the shops and they would not hold any for her. It was available in the duty free shops as would be expected, but there you have the carry and re-pack problems when you enter the US and transfer to another flight.

Prices seem to be sky-rocketing as these bottles cost me $100 each. The Anniversario was more and this is in the country of origin. Agent A2 is a native so there was no apparent taking advantage of the tourist thing going on.

I'd be interested on recent experience from others?
LaQuesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:13 AM   #2
rumdog007

I just got 3 bottles of the XO and will be trying it this weekend. My rep in Guatemala is really proud of this product and sent some my way.
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:18 AM   #3
JMac

Any chance of the Zacapa line of rums coming to Canada?
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

the chances of Zacapa coming to Canada are probably increased now with Diageo importing and marketing the product world-wide.

I have advised friends to stock up on Zacapa products across the board in the past few months.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:47 AM   #5
JMac

I hope so...I've been watching BNN and they mentioned a few times how large Diageo. Hopefully since Zacapa isn't broke they won't fix it...
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
Stamina1914

[QUOTE=LaQuesta;11205]My spouse just returned from Guatemala. As an "A" team member of the LaQuesta team (We call her Agent A2.) she brought back a couple of bottles of Zacapa XO and one of the Anniversario.

The bottles of XO are 750 ml thereby I presume, signaling some intent to export to the United States at some time in the near future.

Unfortunately, she also reports that it was darned hard to get the stuff and that it kept flying off of the shelves as fast as it showed up in the shops and they would not hold any for her. It was available in the duty free shops as would be expected, but there you have the carry and re-pack problems when you enter the US and transfer to another flight.

Prices seem to be sky-rocketing as these bottles cost me $100 each. The Anniversario was more and this is in the country of origin. Agent A2 is a native so there was no apparent taking advantage of the tourist thing going on.

I'd be interested on recent experience from others?[/QUOTE
I recently just got a bottle of Zacapa XO. I made contact with someone from the Guatemalan Embassy who was more than happy to bring me back a few bottles.

Like Agent A squared, my contact was from Guatemala and he paid about $90 for the bottle. Similarly, he had a very, very, very difficult time finding the bottle. Ultimately, he did get it, but he said he could of save a lot of time and some money, if he had just purchased it at the Airport.

As far as the taste, I haven’t opened it yet. I only have one and would like to have at least one more before I take that first sip.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions