MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

95 years ago in 1927, Industria Licorera de Caldas was established.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #1
Hank Koestner

Post Rum n Ginger

This is my favorite "go to" cocktail. I am trying different rums to see what I think are the best matches. I usually like about 2 ounces of rum and 4 ginger, and a dash of Angostura bitters. The mix will change with my mood, sometimes its half and half, and sometimes its rum with just a spalsh. Occasionally a wedge of lime will find its way in the glass. It is amazing how much variation in flavor there is when using different rums. I am going to try cucumber slices, I hear this is tasty. So far, the rums I found are good matches are: Appleton V/X, Ron Matusalem Classico, and Sailor Jerry's Spiced rum. Appleton Estate is good also, but this one gets just a splash. I wont list the others I have tried, but so far these are best. Mount Gay works OK when out at a bar, since almost every bar seems to have this if nothing else. Bacardi Select or 8 can pass if that is the last choice. Any suggestions, my fellow rhumheads?
Also, as a sidenote, I do rum n tonic. So far, Gosling's Gold tastes the best to me, with tonic, in comparison to others I have tried. One dash of bitters, a lime wedge. I understand key limes are better.

Today, I made a Daquiri with fresh lime juice and rhum agricole blanc,and it was delicious.

Last edited by Hank Koestner; 11-09-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Hank Koestner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I used to know a man from the UK who owned a boat called Rum 'n Ginger. He loved rum and ginger ale and his wife, or maybe it was his mistress was named Ginger.

In the islands ginger root is readily available and I kept a bottle of fresh ginger syrup on board. To a couple of cups of boiling water add a couple of cups of good sugar dark sugar, in the islands you can buy real brown sugar, not white sugar which has been colored or sprayed with caramel or molasses. As the sugar is melted grate a cup or so of ginger root, and boil while stirring for about 5 minutes. Let this cool and then save in a small bottle. The sugar will preserve the fresh ginger for several weeks if you don't drink it all first.

Though this may be sweeter than you prefer you can add more ginger and then use less in a drink. You can also reduce the amount of ginger but it won't last as long unless it is refrigerated. This is a very popular drink in Barbados where Cockspur 5 star used to be the rum of choice.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Scottes

I've been "collecting" ginger ales in order to do a comparison any day now. I hate high fructose corn syrup so I've been trying to find ones made with cane sugar. Alas, I've only found 2 so far, though I really want to find at least 1 more. I plan on comparing these to the generic ginger ales - Schweppes, Canada Dry, and Seagrams. Finally, I want to try some different rums with them and compare everything.

I think I'm going to be busy Saturday night. And I'm not so sure that my final comparisons will be very valid...

I also have a couple of ginger beers - Reed's and Barrits - so I might throw those into the mix, too. What the heck.
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I was very excited to see Barritt's on a shelf in the US but upon closer examination I discovered that it was Bermuda Style Ginger Beer made with HFCS- high fructose corn syrup.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
Scottes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
I was very excited to see Barritt's on a shelf in the US but upon closer examination I discovered that it was Bermuda Style Ginger Beer made with HFCS- high fructose corn syrup.
Ouch! Crap!

Oh, well, maybe the Gosling's will cover the taste.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:59 PM   #6
bluewave6

I have tried a couple of ginger beers and noticed you can usually fine the ones made with cane sugar instead of HFCS around Passover (I think???) this is also the time of year to find the genuine coca cola made with cane sugar instead of the HFCS...quite difference in taste.
bluewave6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:32 PM   #7
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave6 View Post
I have tried a couple of ginger beers and noticed you can usually fine the ones made with cane sugar instead of HFCS around Passover (I think???) this is also the time of year to find the genuine coca cola made with cane sugar instead of the HFCS...quite difference in taste.
There is a huge difference in drinks sweetened with hfcs and real sugar cane sugar. But if you're looking for sugar cane coca cola around passover start your search early or you will probably be disappointed as the supply is limited to a few stores in limited geographic areas of the US.
Ministry of Rum

Old 11-09-2007, 11:38 PM   #8
Scottes

Rumor has it that Latino markets often stock Mexican Coca-Cola at all times of the year. I'll be checking 2 or 3 out tomorrow, places that are supposed to have it. Hopefully.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:59 PM   #9
Hank Koestner

Ok, two questions. Ed, how would I use that delicious syrup in a properly made drink? I think I could find real brown sugar at the organic food market.
Scottes, what are the brand names of the ginger ales that have natural cane sugar as thier sweetener? I have been using Canada Dry.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:19 AM   #10
Scottes

So far I've found Stirrings, and something called Outrageous Ginger Ale. or something like that.

A good liquor store should have the Stirrings. For any others, I've been trying any Whole Food Markets or Trader Joe's.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions