MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

118 years ago in 1903, In 1903, the Serralles family installed the first continuous rum still in Puerto Rico.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
angelsword

Default Single Cane Rums

What are the true "single cane" rums, rums strictly from within a single distillery?
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
RumBarPhilly

What is a list of all the islands where there is sugar cane produced? That could definitely help narrow it down.
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
Edward Hamilton
Founder

If you're talking about rums distilled and bottled by the distillery, there are hundreds of them. When you look at the Rum Index by Country you'll see distillers and blenders noted next to the company names.

I am hesitant to call these Single Cane rums as most are made from imported molasses and the source of the cane and the changes aren't generally disclosed.

Of the distilleries that have a constant source of molasses (they have their own sugar mill) are Appleton, Worthy Park, Flor de Cana. Zacapa buys their raw materials from one source. And then there are the rhum agricoles from Guadeloupe and Martinique. 10 Cane also crushes their own cane.

There are others but I don't have much time as I'm on an airplane preparing for takeoff.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
angelsword

Should SINGLE CANE classification be similarly restrictive like scotch or even more so? Do all single malt scotch distilleries grow their own grain? Must they malt their own grain to be called single malt?
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
Matusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsword View Post
Should SINGLE CANE classification be similarly restrictive like scotch or even more so? Do all single malt scotch distilleries grow their own grain? Must they malt their own grain to be called single malt?
No. The way I understood the generic terminology "single malt" can be broken in the two words that exist.

The "single" referring to a finished product from (1) single distillery.

The "malt" refering to 100% malted barley as the grain content.

So single malt = product made from 100% malted barley at/by 1 (sole) distillery location.

Where the malted barley comes from - who processes it etc. prior to distilling or what ever, seems to be fair game.

If I understood correctly the original source of the raw ingredients could be all over the place so long as it is 100% MB and the distillation of the combined sourced raw ingredient was completed at the same (1) location.

But please correct me if I'm wrong, malt enthusiasts.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsword View Post
They do not have to grow or malt their own grain to be called Single Malt.

Scottish distillers buy grain from as far away as India and Australia. A number of them no longer do their own malting, preferring to buy malt 'to spec".

It's my understanding that Single Malt is produced entirely from Malted Barley, from a single distillery and from distillate produced in a single calendar year. If the distiller blends distillate from different years then it needs to be labelled Vatted Malt. There have been notable examples of this from Glenlivet and Cardhu in the past.

Vatted Malt can and usually is, produced by blenders using any number of Single Malts of different ages, from different Distillers.

The idea of Single Cane is sexy as a marketing tool I think, but I'm not sure it could hold any real meaning. If one were to follow the Scotch model one would need to coin a term such as Single Cane Molasses or Single Cane Syrup or Single Cane Juice.

In answer your first question, I think the that some of the bottlings by the Gents across the Pond in the UK..Such as the Plantation series..ie: a batch from a single still produced in a single year and then bottled after ageing come the most close, as far as I can tell.

Last edited by Rum Runner; 04-03-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Rum Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
Matusalem

I'm just guessing but I think the calendar year production requirement has got to be false, Runner.

You hear all the time a bottle of single malt has an age statement... or none but "averages in age" or "has some 20+ year old distillate in it". It could not have 12, 17 & 20 year distillate (just to randomly example ages) and all fit into that single calendar year requirement - I don't think.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matusalem View Post
I'm just guessing but I think the calendar year production requirement has got to be false, Runner.

You hear all the time a bottle of single malt has an age statement... or none but "averages in age" or "has some 20+ year old distillate in it". It could not have 12, 17 & 20 year distillate (just to randomly example ages) and all fit into that single calendar year requirement - I don't think.
I stand corrected Mat. Thanks for jogging me. Here is a quote from the Scotch Whisky Association.

" When an age is quoted on a label, it is the age of the youngest whisky in the bottle that determines the age of the whisky, no matter how small the amount. It is never an average."

I have seen Single Malts (Talisker, amongst others) declare the distillation and bottling date on labels.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post
In answer your first question, I think the that some of the bottlings by the Gents across the Pond in the UK..Such as the Plantation series..ie: a batch from a single still produced in a single year and then bottled after ageing come the most close, as far as I can tell.
I would be very surprised if the Plantation rums are from a single year but more likely they are blended from several years and distillates.

From the gist of this thread I'd say that only a few of the rhums from Martinique would qualify as from cane grown by the distillery or under their control and from a single year.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #10
RumBarPhilly

You can go one step further and classify some rums as bonded. Based on the definition of bonded whiskeys, this would mean one distillation season, one distillery, and one distiller.

Bonded Single Cane Rum
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions