MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

120 years ago in 1900, the Simon distillery was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #11
SiriusA

we had a great time, Martin! Forbidden Island is a gem of the Bay Area.

See you again soon!
SiriusA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #12
bunnyhugs

I finally did a post on my site about the Berling (Jane Barbancourt) rum.

http://bunnyhugs.org/2008/10/21/barb...ian-confusion/

I really did not care for it and can't understand all the fuss.

Maybe the stuff submitted for the competition (and maybe their export product) is different to the Haitian stuff?
Old 11-23-2008, 08:22 AM   #13
supermom

Default Jane Barbancourt

While on honeymoon in the Bahamas in 1972 I bought a bottle of Jane Barbancourt coconut rum. I have been trying to get another bottle ever since. It was one of the finest tastes imaginable if you love rum and coconut. It was so smooth and full of flavor that it was almost a sin to use it in cocktails. It was like having a fine liqueor. Right up there with Marnier blending cognac and orange. I preferred it on the rocks (cool but drunk before the ice melted and diluted it! lol) . I was never able to buy it in the U.S. and have not been able to get it in Europe since moving here in 1979. If I ever get back over to the Caribbean and see it I will definitely arrange for regular shipments! I would also love to taste some of their other flavoured rums as the taste of their coconut was so pure and natural. Puts Malibu in the category of toilet cleaner. Jane Barbancourt seems to only distribute in the Caribbean islands. A real shame.
supermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #14
TheRumelier

I have had a distant relative of the Linge family e-mail me looking for an e-mail address for Jane Barbancourt Company. Any ideas? I sent him the address for Berling as that was all I could find. I finally have a bottle of the Berling Vieux Labbe coming from Haiti on the weekend. One of my workers is there and has found a bottle. I was surprised when I actually talked to him on the phone in Haiti today. I gave him $US70, so I will be interested to see how much it costs!!
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #15
islandoc

Default jane barbancourt rum

The barbancourt family had a lawuit in the early 70s, Jane was allowed to make only liqueurs and 1 " regular " rum which you own.

The factory in Boutilliers went out of business in 1985 so your bottle of rum is at least 25 yrs old.

It is quite collectible

The liqueurs were delectable

I am sitting on the only remaining stock in the world, I think....
islandoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:19 AM   #16
Edward Hamilton
Founder

There are a few bottles around. But I wouldn't open those bottles unless you plan on drinking them, like you wrote, they are good stuff. And they won't last long once they are open.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:05 AM   #17
islandoc

Default jane barbancourt rum

My memories of this rum date back to the 70s
It was a true pleasure to travel to the factory and sample all the flavors, mango, papaya, banana , coffee, coconut, hibiscus -I think there were at least 20 flovors.
On one pilgramage to Boutilliers to sample and purchase multiple cases of rum, Mr Linge and Jane Barbancourt drove us back to our hotel in port au prince.

In 2005 I cleaned out the now collapsed Montana hotel of 3 hidden cases of Janes delectable rum flavored liqueur and cocoa rum. I believe this is the last remaining Jane B-court rum left in the world. I have it carefully hidden in Haiti.
islandoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:46 AM   #18
hwgriff

The rhum you have came in 12 flavors in the early 80's 4.00 per bottle. I spent a few months there in 80 & 82 while in Design Dept @ S.I.U. Carbondale with Davis Pratt. I was told by Davis, Its the "other" Barbancourt family. Great for mixing flavors in a blinder. It was the tourist fancy drink Rhum. I think the Special was spices & pepper developed for mixing with Cola Cola. "Special Rhum & Coke"....(Very Captian Morgan-ish.)A case came came with 8 or so Flavors... mango, citron, banana, cocoa, special, Spice ect...... Had a mixed case......long gone but enjoyable. I still have that bottle of Special Rhum for old Times... Cheers.......Try the "Other Real Barbancourt 5 Star"....Beege Bilco
hwgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:03 AM   #19
aztropic

Smile

Still have an unopened bottle of the coffee rum liqueur. Janes flavored rums were some of the best ever!
aztropic is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions