MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

270 years ago in 1749, La Mauny was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet > Arctic Wolf
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Default Reviews: Ron Bermudez Family of Rums

I have began my series of reviews of the Ron Bermudez rums from the Dominican Republic, and i will be placing all of the review links into this thread as they are available.

The first review is for:

Bermudez 1852 5 Anos de Anejamiento

The Ron Bermúdez Company, (as I guessed from the label on the bottle) has a long history that stretches back to 1852. This is almost as old as the Dominican Republic itself, and I think it is easy to suggest that the Ron Bermudez Company is an important part of the history of the Dominican Republic. Don Erasmo Bermudez apparently created the company’s first rum, sold as Bitter Panacea which quickly became extremely popular and provided the foundation for the company’s success.

The Company is currently in its fourth generation of management, still represented by the Bermudez family. Don Carlos Alberto Bermúdez Pippa, is currently the management leader for the company. At the time of this writing I have been unable to access the Ron Bermudez website but I leave the link here in case access is available at a future time.

Here is an excerpt from my review:

“…The rum flavours are there in spades, make no mistake; rich caramel and butterscotch flavours lead out with soft ripe fruit following quickly. A touch of citrus zest finds its way into the oak spices and the result is quite delicious. …”

You may read the rest of the full review here:

Review: Bermudez 1852 5 Anos de Anejamiento

As always a few recipes follow the review!

PS: As soon as Ed updates his database I will move the review link there.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
RonJames

thats one I'd love to get my hands on arctic, great review. Good choice on the cuba libre.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
Arctic Wolf

Thanks Ronjames,

I hope the rum makes it to your locale soon. The importer had a lot of problems bringing the rum to Alberta. I am not sure of the details but there seemed to be an unwillingness on the part of someone to make the necessary changes which would comply with the labeling requirements of Alberta. (I am sure the lack of English on the labels was a problem.)

Lets hope this has been worked out for other jurisdictions as well.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
Arctic Wolf

Default Bermudez Don Armando

This is the second review I am publishing with respect to the rums of Ron Bermudez . I previously reviewed the Ron Anejo Bermudez 5 Anos on my blog based upon a sample bottle provided to my by Westway L. LTD. My sample bottle of the Don Armando 1852 Ron Anejo 10 Anos rum was also supplied by Westway L. Limited, as they are introducing the Bermudez rums into my home Province of Alberta. The year 1852 is proudly displayed on the label of each bottle of Bermudez rums indicating the year in which the Bermudez family began to produce rum commercially. In fact, the Bermudez rums have been produced in the Dominican Republic practically from the beginning of its nationhood making the Bermudez Distillery the oldest commercial rum distillery in the Dominican Republic.

Here is an excerpt from my review:

“…This is a soft, oily, slightly dry rum with a nice spicy oak accent on the tongue. It is not as sweet in the mouth as the nose will suggest. Rather than a rich brown sugar we have more of a mellow butterscotch on the palate….”

To read the full review please click here:

Rum Review: Bermudez Don Armando

Please enjoy the review and the cocktail provided at the end.

Last edited by Arctic Wolf; 05-26-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
Arctic Wolf

Default Bermudez Anniversario

This is the third review I am publishing with respect to the rums of Ron Bermudez . It was a delight to cap off my reviews of the Bermudez range with this outstanding rum.

Here is an excerpt from the review:

“…Toffee and caramel sit in the background supporting the spicier flavour of the oak. There is also a firm leathery smoke in the rum which is full of the flavours of dried fruits (raisins, dates, and prunes). When I sampled the younger 5 year old Bermudez rum, I had a vague impression that there was a metallic taste in the rum; but now, in the older Ron Bermudez Anniversario, this metallic element is more identifiable…”

You may read the full review here:

Rum Review: Ron Bermudez Anniversario
Old 07-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Arctic Wolf

Default Review: Bermudez Ron Viejo Blanco

This is the fourth review I am publishing with respect to the rums of Ron Bermudez. I previously reviewed the Ron Anejo Bermudez 5 Anos; the Bermudez Don Armando; and the Bermudez Anniversario upon my blog using sample bottles provided to my by J. Ernesto Orozco of Biwest Imports Ltd. My sample bottle of the Bermudez Ron Viejo Blanco rum was also supplied by Biwest Imports Ltd., as they are introducing the Bermudez rums into my home Province of Alberta.

” …The Bermudez Ron Viejo is very similar in taste profile to the Bermudez Don Armando which I reviewed earlier. It is not quite as suave and smooth as the 10-year-old, but is it perhaps one of the smoothest ‘blanco’ rums I have encountered to date. It is slightly sweet in the mouth, but still carries enough spice to warm the tonsils…”

You may read the full review by clicking the link provided below:

Rum Review: Bermudez Ron Viejo Blanco

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet > Arctic Wolf