MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

11 years ago in 2009, Desert Diamond Distillery was established in Kingman, Arizona.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
seabass

Default El dorado 12

I'm reminiscing about when I could get Zaya (Guatemala) for $20 a bottle...I recently had Ed 12 and it had a nice sweetness reminiscent of Zaya. What are everyone's thoughts on this as a sipper? I believe it's affordable...maybe in the $30-$40 range?
seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
SeldomSeen

It's a great Rum. It WAS $25 here but just went up to $33. @ $25, I bought a lot of it because it outcompeted most Rums in that price range. However, @ $33, there are a lot of other excellent options that will get my business over it. But that's competition in the free market. I'm hoping they will re-think the price increase but I'm sure the loss of my business won't matter much to them.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Rob L

I go squirlly when I don't have a bottle on my shelf. Fantastic sipper.
Rob L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Bluehammer

I think the 15 yr old is much better. Different taste, but to me a bit smoother and more complex. A few bucks more usually.
Bluehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
seabass

What's a good option in the $25 range?
Old 06-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
Berbician

I agree with Bluehammer. The 15 year old is much better - more subtle and more complex, if that isn't a contradiction.
Berbician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
SeldomSeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass View Post
What's a good option in the $25 range?
Of course, prices vary depending upon your location. But here, there aren't many Rums in the $25 range now that El Dorado 12's have went up over $30. It seems the prices here jump from $20 to $30+ now which explains why I used to buy El Dorado 12 @ $25 predominantly over my under $25 suggestions below. It was an easy stretch to get it for just a few bucks more than others in that range,..... and price does drive my decisions quite frequently. Don't get me wrong, El Dorado 12 is a great Rum and I'll still buy it, occasionally. But there are a lot of Rums I enjoy in the $30+ range that it now has to share my buying decisions with.

Under $25 suggestions:

-El Dorado 8 yr. old (not quite up to the 12 yr. old but still a really nice rum)
-Santa Teresa Selecto
-Diplomatico Reserva
-Plantation Grand Reserve
-Doorly's XO
-Bacardi 8 (Can't believe I'm recommending a Bacardi product,...but it is actually pretty good.)

Last edited by SeldomSeen; 06-05-2013 at 06:29 AM.
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
jrl915

Plantation Grand Reserve is very hard to beat. Great for quality cocktails, and with a touch of water, a fine sipper.
jrl915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
seabass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen View Post
Of course, prices vary depending upon your location. But here, there aren't many Rums in the $25 range now that El Dorado 12's have went up over $30. It seems the prices here jump from $20 to $30+ now which explains why I used to buy El Dorado 12 @ $25 predominantly over my under $25 suggestions below. It was an easy stretch to get it for just a few bucks more than others in that range,..... and price does drive my decisions quite frequently. Don't get me wrong, El Dorado 12 is a great Rum and I'll still buy it, occasionally. But there are a lot of Rums I enjoy in the $30+ range that it now has to share my buying decisions with.

Under $25 suggestions:

-El Dorado 8 yr. old (not quite up to the 12 yr. old but still a really nice rum)
-Santa Teresa Selecto
-Diplomatico Reserva
-Plantation Grand Reserve
-Doorly's XO
-Bacardi 8 (Can't believe I'm recommending a Bacardi product,...but it is actually pretty good.)
I'm surprised that your paying over $30. I live in Minnesota and can find it for $27...I remember living in florida and paying nothing for great rums.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
SeldomSeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass View Post
I'm surprised that your paying over $30. I live in Minnesota and can find it for $27...I remember living in florida and paying nothing for great rums.
Well, I actually haven't paid over $30 yet. The price increase put an end to my previous buying habits. I may end up ponying up the additional bucks for a bottle of ED 12 once my galley runs dry, but at a much more limited frequency.

For me, an item is priced right when I will automatically chose it over other options. @ $25, El Dorado 12 was priced right.... likewise, @ under $15, Plantation Grand Reserve IS priced right.... and still a staple Rum in my galley (& currently in my glass).

@ over $30, there are plenty of great Rums in the sea competing and I opt for having a variety of them in my galley over any particular one. ED 12 will now just be another one of them... but I will long for the good old days when it was a staple item.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions