MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

89 years ago in 1930, Montebello Distillerie Carrere was established on Guadeloupe.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #21
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
Carbon we still look at your updates, don't be so sensitive !!! I have to disagree with you on the Oronoco. Don't care for the smell or the taste and feel it would proably ruin a fine mojita.
Haha yeah I know, but I knew if I said that nobody read this anymore then I'd have a higher chance of getting a reply if people were.

The Oronoco is quite sweet, but I haven't made a mojito with it yet. I made a daiquiri with it that wasn't half bad (using agave nectar in place of sugar), although it was a completely different experience than making one with say Matusalem.
Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #22
thewaterloobar

Default Starting my Rum club

Hi Guys,

Just came across this forum and decided to jin up as it look s like it could be a valuable resource.

We have sort of started a rum club in Dublin and it would be great to get some feedback on how to get the word out and also what the best way to set up a rum club is.

I am only learning about rum but am fascinated by the following it has globally so any thoughts would be much appreciated.

BTW if anyone lives in Ireland or are over for a visit pop in and become one of our first members.

Waterloo Bar on facebook

thewaterloobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #23
forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaterloobar View Post
We have sort of started a rum club in Dublin and it would be great to get some feedback on how to get the word out and also what the best way to set up a rum club is.
Welcome to the for-rum Waterloo!!

Well i don't have a bar so you probably need a different kind of input about a rum club than i could offer, but on a personal level there are a couple ways to handle it:
Get a group, set up get-together times and
1) Each member pitch in on a bottle to share, and discuss
2) Each member pitch in a bottle to share, compare and discuss... Keep the left overs to start a tasting library
3) Improvise off of the two previous ideas.

Martin at Forbidden island, and Adam at Rum Bar Philly both have a sort of 'Rum Club' at their bars-- maybe they will see this post..
Old 12-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #24
Carbon

Interesting he decided to post that as a reply here rather than make a new topic.

As another update, I was in Seattle this past week and picked up a bottle of the one we know as Ron Zacapa 23. I couldn't find it anywhere in Portland, and I even asked a couple of stores to contact me when they could get one in stock.

The short of it: I was surprised at how little aroma it gives off. Even before pouring it out to taste I sniffed the opened bottle and didn't get much to work with (then again I had also just gotten over a cold). I knew from all that I'd read it would be very sweet. I took a few sips that confirmed this. It's probably the smoothest rum I've ever had. Is that really 80 proof? It's great and something you could sip effortlessly, but for me it lacked some complexity that some other great rums have. I'm definitely going to try it again (and again and again) now that I'm in better health to get a more fair idea of it, but as of now it doesn't dethrone Mount Gay Extra Old as my favorite sipper so far.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:27 AM   #25
forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Interesting he decided to post that as a reply here rather than make a new topic.
Yeah, i am sure he appreciates your space...

Here is a good reveiw of Ron Zacapa 23, that is filled with good info/comments, and agrees with what you are saying..
Old 12-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #26
JMac

Carbon...you also try the Zacapa 15 year if the sweetness of the 23 gets a bit much.

You mentioned that you also have the Estate Diamond 5 year from Cruzan. I thought that Cruzan discontinued that product.

Have they brought it back or have you purchased your local liquor stores supply?
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #27
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac View Post
Carbon...you also try the Zacapa 15 year if the sweetness of the 23 gets a bit much.

You mentioned that you also have the Estate Diamond 5 year from Cruzan. I thought that Cruzan discontinued that product.

Have they brought it back or have you purchased your local liquor stores supply?
I currently have two unopened bottles of it for safe keeping that I procured knowing it would be discontinued. The bottle I mentioned before was the one I bought to try originally, but that one is now empty. I have a desire to go and pick up a third bottle to have around, but somehow it feels wrong buying a third with all the other rum I already have sitting around.

It is indeed discontinued, but there's no harm in scouting around to see if you can still find a bottle.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:35 AM   #28
Carbon

I opened by bottle of Brugal Añejo to try Friday night. It was pretty smooth and went down easy, but the taste was a bit off. I don't think I've had a spirit that was this smooth yet tasted so mediocre. I know the opinions on this rum are quite mixed. Maybe there's something to RumBarPhilly's fish oil comments. I'm joking, but now I'm afraid that I'll find it there after reading that even if I wouldn't have before.

I know these reviews are brief, but I'll probably get bored over winter break and go back for more in depth evaluations. I need to get a blog or keep this to myself or something and stop wasting Ed's bandwidth.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #29
forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
I need to get a blog or keep this to myself or something and stop wasting Ed's bandwidth.
We look forward to your comments Carbon, don't worry Edward has bandwidth to spare...
Old 12-24-2008, 12:55 AM   #30
Carbon

I picked up both a bottle of the new Cruzan Light 1 year, which I have never tried, as well as Mount Gay Special Reserve, which is their straw-colored rum (not to be confused with the newer white Eclipse rum). The Cruzan was $12.95, while the Mount Gay was $15.95. Some may say that three dollars is not much of a difference, but think about it differently and you'll see that the MGSR commands a 23.2% premium over the Cruzan (seems like more now).

I opened the bottle of the Cruzan and took a sniff and was overwhelmed by the alcohol vapors. This was immediately off putting and strike 1. I then thought to give it another sniff and was happy to smell something like vanilla. It was probably just residual alcohol that had evaporated in the bottle that made the first whiff so unpleasant. The Cruzan goes down easy, and while you do still get a little bit too much of that ethanol smell and taste (almost as if it had a hint of vodka), it's not terrible. You do feel the tingle on your tongue and bottom of your throat from the alcohol, though. At it's price point, it's the clear alternative to a bottle of the Bacardi Superior I know you guys all love. I would never sip this, but clearly this is not what Cruzan light is for.

The first thing I notice about the Mount Gay is how much different it smells. I'm no expert at translating what I smell into specific words (yet), but it smells a bit more fruity and maybe even a little floral. Tasting it, it has a better flavor as well, which (like the Cruzan) follows closely with its smell. You smell and taste less alcoholic notes than in the Cruzan, which makes the experience more pleasant. The Mt. Gay doesn't do completely away with the bit of bite I'm growing accustomed to in rums from Barbados. You get a small reminder of this rum's origins with a little bite at the back part of the roof of your mouth and top of one's throat, but nothing to offend the senses. It has a longer finish than the Cruzan and gives you a little more warmth to accompany it.

Cliffsnotes/Verdict:
CL: smells and tastes more vanilla-y with some spice, is relatively smooth to drink besides some alcoholic notes, shorter finish
MGSR: smells and tastes more fruity, smoother in some ways, not in others (maybe just more interesting to drink), longer finish and more warmth.

Well, what do you want in a rum? I can see why some are confused by the Mount Gay and don't regard it very highly. I do like it, though. The Cruzan's neutral alcoholic smells and tastes remind me too much of a vodka or a bad bargain rum or Bacardi.

I have to give this round to the Mount Gay Special Reserve. The rum is just a little more complex and more of a pleasure to sip. The Cruzan reminded me of its price and the fact that it is aged only 1 year now*. The problem here is that these rums are more meant for mixing than sipping straight, so I think some may just be better suited for specific cocktails than others, or may depend on what kind of mood you are in. I'll have to try some cocktail comparisons to be sure, but for now the Mount Gay is my pick.

*PS: Maybe I'll try this competition again except using the bottle of Cruzan 2 year light I found down in LA. As for the MG Special Reserve, I've read info saying it is aged anything from "a minimum of 2 years" to things like "a maturity age up to 8 years." I'm guessing it's a blend of rums between these ages, with more of the younger than older. If you guys have more specific info please reply.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions