MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

20 years ago in 2000, the Roig sugar factory in Yabucoa and the Coloso factory in Aguada, not far from where the first sugar cane had been brought to the island 385 years before, closed.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Rumfellow

Default New Orleans Rum?

First off, greetings fellow lovers of rum. It pleases me greatly to see a forum where the venerable liquor is given the attention it deserves. I look forward to participating here.

As for my question, does anyone know whether or not New Orleans Rum remains in production?

A relative was nice enough to bring back a bottle from Lousiana in February, and I must say I quite enjoyed it. The resounding depth of molassas reminds me of another distinct American rum made several hundred miles further north in Kelso, TN.
Rumfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Yes, New Orleans Rum is alive and recovering from Katrina. Most of the aged stocks were destroyed, but the knowledge gained from the previous years were not lost and the distillery is working overtime to come back stronger than before the storm.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:15 AM   #3
primate77

I have seen a rum called New Orleans Rum in my local store, but the label is different than the present bottles, and does not say "Old New Orleans" rum.

Is this a different rum from another distiller/blender entirely, or perhaps they've changed their label? Anyone know?
primate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

There have been more label changes for rums from Celebration Distillation Corporation than any other distillery I've known. Their rums are now called Old New Orleans Rum.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
primate77

Thanks Ed. Has the "taste" of the rum changed with the changing in the labels??? Or is this a fairly decent rum?
primate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
Dood

I have a bottle of Old New Orleans Spiced Rum that I bought a few months ago. It's very good. A lot of smoky notes.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
Old New Orleans Rum

Talking We are open for business and doing great!

Hello All! I am Cassidy the ONO RUM office manager!
It makes me very pleased to know that people are inquiring about our rums! We are back up and running and have been since early 2007! We are currently producing 4 different rums. Our Crystal, Amber, Cajun Spice and our Ten Year (which is a distillery special of only 720 bottles a year). Our Cajun Spice and Ten Year Products are both new releases since our reopening post Katrina! We did not lose very much of our aged product at all as most of it was on the upper floors of the distillery and was all transfered to "new" bourbon barrels post Katrina. We have however changed our label from the New Orleans Rum label with the map on it to a newer crisper label. James Michalopoulos our owner, is also a renowned artist and loves to change and play with the label design and layout! The product however is stying true to the original recipe he created (with a few minor changes as the product and production is refined to it's highest quality)

Please feel free to check out our website or message me if you have any more questions about our products. We are all Avid Rum drinkers and lovers at ONO and are always interested in discussing our product technique and any suggestions and ideas you have!

Try the Cajun spiced Rum mixed with good ole Southern Sweet Tea. If will knock your socks off!
Old New Orleans Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
RumBarPhilly

Looking at the Old New Orleans logo... I keep confusing it with Old Men Rum...
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions