MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

23 years ago in 1997, Essential Spirits Alambic Distillery was established in Mountain View, California.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
Recluse

Question Stunned at my palate's response to Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva

Zacapa 23 was my intro to premium rums after a friend gave me a small sample to try. I started to research it and came upon this fine site and also many other fine rums. Before cracking the seal on the first bottle of Ron Zacapa 23 that I OWNED, I purchased a bottle of Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva and started sipping it last night. I was a little shocked! It wasn't the profound experience I thought it should be. I found it a little thin, a little harsh, and while far and away better than any rum I have tried prior to the Zacapa, it seemed more like a Cognac than a rum. Maybe this is characteristic of the Cuban style?

At this moment, I am sipping the Zacapa to see if my memory of the previous sample was somehow in error, but no.. it remains a smooth blissful sipping experience...I am tasting some coffee in the finish that is new and wonderful.

Will give the Ron Matusalem another try. Maybe I just like the sweeter rums, and I can't wait to get my hands on some Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva!!

Is my rum palate terminally dysfunctional???

Last edited by Recluse; 06-12-2010 at 11:04 PM. Reason: took off the d in Gran
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

It sounds like Matusalem didn't live up to your expectations. I don't find all of the Matusalem rums to be representative of the Cuban style of rums produced in Cuba. Claiming to be Cuban style is widely used to market a variety of rums.

I try not to be prejudiced by what I have read or heard when assessing new rums. Good spirits will stand on their own merits.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
saltgrassbear

I happened upon the Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva by chance following one of Robert Burr's rum cake recipes. The cake was fantastic. Grilled a steak and and then poured myself a glass of this rum. The pairing of the rum and steak together was the best I've ever had. I purchased several bottles just for this occasion. Try it.

SGB
saltgrassbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:54 AM   #4
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

I remember my impression of Matusalem gran Reserva was that it was very mellow. The flavour almost needed to be coaxed out. In fact the only times I enjoy the Gran Reserva is when I feel really laid back and mellow myself. Its pretty much a mood rum for me.

I think that after the full flavour of Zacapa, you were not prepared for a totally different style. And I can see how it would seem 'thin' in comparison.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I would certainly consider these two rums to be of very different styles, and the producers agree.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Recluse

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltgrassbear View Post
I happened upon the Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva by chance following one of Robert Burr's rum cake recipes. The cake was fantastic. Grilled a steak and and then poured myself a glass of this rum. The pairing of the rum and steak together was the best I've ever had. I purchased several bottles just for this occasion. Try it.

SGB
As it happens, I am planning to make a rum cake today..but it seemed sacrilegious somehow to use a premium rum in a cake! Had planned to use a combo of Bacardi Gold and Sailor Jerry..but maybe I will sneak in some Ron Matusalem as well.

Thanks to all for your comments. Will let you know how subsequent tastings may change my initial opinion.
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
TheRumelier

It is hard to change a Trinny rum into a Cuban rum just by solera aging it in the DR!! The blend has changed a lot recently, lacks the body it once had.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #8
cycloneX

I had heard some good reviews on the Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva 15, so when I found a bottle i was pretty pumped. When I got it home and tried it i was very disappointed. I found it to be very thin or watery on the tongue and very thin on taste too.... not at all what i expected.
Im glad to see that others have had similar experiences.

Gregg
Old 06-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
STR1DER

Send a message via AIM to STR1DER
Thumbs up Matusalem

Timing seems to be everything with tasting liquor. If I had read your thin comments a year ago, I would have whole-heartedly chimed in. But maybe my palate is changing. Or maybe we're all a little rum crazy!

I agree with Arctic Wolf that Matusalem is in sharp contrast to Zacapa. And I will add that the word "solera" has a way of suggesting "thicker" or "smoother"--the latter of which, Matusalem certainly is. But syrupy, leggy and super-sweet it is not.

I just had a sizable glass of this the other night, since I picked up a bottle from Shopper's on the cheap. It's my second bottle. The first bottle is completely forgotten and in retrospect strangely unremarkable, but this time around---I'm loving it. Maybe it's the new hammock in the backyard, or the weather, or the cigar I fired up along the way, but this was REALLY good. Two ice cubes, BTW.

JCC
STR1DER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
Hank Koestner

There is a good difference between the two, and as Bob has said, the blend has changed a little. The new 18 is more full bodied, like the 15 used to be.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions