MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

373 years ago in 1647, there were 120 drinking houses in Bridgetown, Barbados, only 20 years after the first British colony was established on the island.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
hughz

Thumbs up Matusalem Gran Reserva, Wow!

Well I'm really a noob at this but after tasting Zaya Gran Reserve, finishing my first bottle of Zacapa Centenario (both of which I like a lot) and a local sampling of Mt Gay Eclipse(wasn't to fond of that), I got a bottle of Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva. THAT is good rum!!
hughz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
tym2relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughz View Post
Well I'm really a noob at this but after tasting Zaya Gran Reserve, finishing my first bottle of Zacapa Centenario (both of which I like a lot) and a local sampling of Mt Gay Eclipse(wasn't to fond of that), I got a bottle of Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva. THAT is good rum!!
Curious, how would you compare the MGR to the Zaya and Zacapa?
tym2relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
hughz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym2relax View Post
Curious, how would you compare the MGR to the Zaya and Zacapa?
Hello, to me MGR has more of a bite to it than Zacapa, but still has great flavor and I like the hint of dry aftertaste quite a lot. My wife really likes Zacapa because it's so incredibly smooth and a tiny bit sweeter. It's the only "hard" alcohol she can drink without mixing. It's been a month since I had Zaya so I'd have to try it again but I seem to recall it's more like MGR than Zacapa. Looks like I've need to acquire a bottle Zaya to be sure!
Old 05-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
Rum Runner

Quote:
Hello, to me MGR has more of a bite to it than Zacapa, but still has great flavor and I like the hint of dry aftertaste quite a lot. My wife really likes Zacapa because it's so incredibly smooth and a tiny bit sweeter. It's the only "hard" alcohol she can drink without mixing. It's been a month since I had Zaya so I'd have to try it again but I seem to recall it's more like MGR than Zacapa. Looks like I've need to acquire a bottle Zaya to be sure!

I love reading a post like yours Hugh. You have embarked onto a wonderful journey.

One of the things about rum that is so fascinating is that it is one of the few alcoholic beverages that can run the gamut from pale and dry, to dark and sweet, and still have a very high level of quality. If one looks across the range of other spirits, fortified wines, table wines, and beers, there are not too many examples which can match rum for the wonderful diversity of flavor and style.

As we find our own preferences, we can then begin to appreciate differences.

You are on your way...Have fun!
Old 05-05-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
Stamina1914

Quote:
I tried this rum over the weekend. I was at a cigar bar in Washington DC. They have a pretty impressive collection of rum by the way.

The rum was great, but I probably wouldn't buy a bottle of it. Why. because I have tasted the Vizcaya. Both are Cuban Style rum so which means both are light on the pallet. To me both are similiar both the Vizcaya has a touch of more fruit when it hits the tastebuds.

In the end both are very similiar and with me prefering the Vizcaya, I can't justify having both.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
robercw

Quote:
...and a local sampling of Mt Gay Eclipse(wasn't to fond of that)
Hughz, don't let the Eclipse scare you away from Mt. Gay. The Mt. Gay XO is a great rum that you would probably find to your liking. I typically use the Eclipse as a mixer or in my rum cakes.
robercw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
Lew Barrett

I'm a Mateusalem GR fan, but find it notably different to Vizcaya, which I consider to be a superb cigar rum, rivaling ED15. Mateusalem GR would want to go with lighter cigars than the Vizcaya, I think. Nothing will overpower a lighter rum (not saying Mateusalem is light, just on a relative basis) than a powerful cigar. You need a lot of body to stand up to a big smoke.
Lew Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:17 AM   #8
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Matusalem GR 15 combines a mature aged wood flavor with a smooth buttery, rich elegant solera blend that is enhanced by a hint of fine sherry. Delightful to my palette and pretty consistent over the past few years.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
hughz

Great comments all, thanks so much. Yes, it's a great thing Rum, such complex flavors and so interesting to hear how they are made. Can't wait to try out some of the Rums mentioned just in this thread, not to mention all the others mentioned throughout the forum! Cheers - don
Old 05-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
seabass

What does this bottle go for?
seabass is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions