MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

99 years ago in 1922, Neisson distillery was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
Neatpeat

Default Advice please

So like I wrote on my introduction, I have had difficulties on finding a rum, that I really like, never been much of a sweet tooth. Recently I bought Rhum JM VSOP and this one I like a lot. Bought it because I thought it looked kinda old school. I know you should never buy because of the package, but whats inside, but hey got a little lucky and didn't get burned by some marketing company. So my question is; Are there more rums of this kind? Really love this dry, earthy and vegetal style. Please tell me this is not one of a kind, but there's more.
Neatpeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

From your posts it sounds like you're already gravitating toward rhum agricole from Martinique as they are some of the driest rums. If you like JM VSOP you owe it to yourself to find some Neisson old rhums as they generally have a more complex body and are very well balanced and like JM are devoid of added sugar.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
Beukeboom

I would like to try something like that agricole rum but neither brand mentioned is sold locally. Doing a little research on Martinique rums I haven't found one sold locally.
Beukeboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:04 AM   #4
jacko

Why don't you give Appleton 12 a try. It's semi dry, flavorful and complex. Not much added sugar in it. I find it an excellent sipping rum.
jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
Neatpeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
From your posts it sounds like you're already gravitating toward rhum agricole from Martinique as they are some of the driest rums. If you like JM VSOP you owe it to yourself to find some Neisson old rhums as they generally have a more complex body and are very well balanced and like JM are devoid of added sugar.
Thanks for the advice. Couldn't find any Neisson rhums from places I usually shop, but I'll keep looking till I find one. So agricoles from Martinique are on the drier side, this is good to know. Now I have an idea what I should be looking for, many thanks.

Managed just miss Rhum JM Vieux Agricole Millésimé 2001 and Saint James Heritage sadly only empty shelves were left, but the Clement 10 Years Old was still available, and the price wasn't too bad either (under sixty bucks). So I decided to give it a try. Here's hoping it proves to be good stuff.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:47 PM   #6
Berbician

If you like very dry rums, you might like Flor de Cana 4 year old white from Nicaragua.
Berbician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
MantasPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatpeat View Post
So like I wrote on my introduction, I have had difficulties on finding a rum, that I really like, never been much of a sweet tooth. Recently I bought Rhum JM VSOP and this one I like a lot. Bought it because I thought it looked kinda old school. I know you should never buy because of the package, but whats inside, but hey got a little lucky and didn't get burned by some marketing company. So my question is; Are there more rums of this kind? Really love this dry, earthy and vegetal style. Please tell me this is not one of a kind, but there's more.
hello,

i do believe you should try Saint James rums. SJ Rhum vieux or hors d'age should be great price/quality solution
MantasPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #8
Neatpeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berbician View Post
If you like very dry rums, you might like Flor de Cana 4 year old white from Nicaragua.
Is this good for sipping? As I'm not much into mixing. Are the other Flor de Cana products also dry or semi dry? Thanks for the welcome and advice.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #9
Berbician

It can be sipped. The 4 year old white is the only Flor de Cana rum that I've tasted, so I can't really help you with the others.
Berbician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #10
Nomad

While I like the whole Flor de Cana line, IMO, sippable starts at the 12yo.
But we all have different expectations.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions