MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

126 years ago in 1895, Destilerias Arehucas, S.A. was establihsed in the Canary Islands.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
Mr Fjeld

Default Chillfiltering and E150?

I'd appreciate if anyone could enlighten me about this topic. Is chillfiltering and caramel in widespread use with the rum producers?

Cheers!
Christian
Mr Fjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

That depends on what you call widespread. Many of the bigger companies which export to cold climates do some chill-filtering, but most of the small distillers don't do it. Caramel is one of those dark secrets that no one wants to talk about, but caramel is generally used to make rums consistent color. Consumers don't want to buy rums which vary in color from one batch to the next.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:48 AM   #3
Mr Fjeld

Thanks for the reply
Great to learn that many small distillers won't do that - not that I'm experienced enough to know the difference if I tasted any of them. But it's nice to know one can get rum as "pure" as possible.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:14 AM   #4
aryan-rastafarian

I don't see naything wrong wth chill filtering. yes, it may change the rum profile somewhat, however if you like the rum after it has been chill filtered then, simply put, you like the rum. if it were not to be chill filtered it could well be that you wouldnt like the blend, even though it is as 'pure' as you can get it, to use your words...
aryan-rastafarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:33 PM   #5
angelsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fjeld View Post
Thanks for the reply
Great to learn that many small distillers won't do that - not that I'm experienced enough to know the difference if I tasted any of them. But it's nice to know one can get rum as "pure" as possible.
When I create some of my rums, certain pieces of wood or other natural ingredients have a certain milky effect with the alcohol. IF the rum is shaken before pouring these constituent parts add to the overall flavor. Otherwise they frequently settle out in a way that may be aesthetically unpleasing to some. It has little to do with purity.
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
Mr Fjeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsword View Post
When I create some of my rums, certain pieces of wood or other natural ingredients have a certain milky effect with the alcohol. IF the rum is shaken before pouring these constituent parts add to the overall flavor. Otherwise they frequently settle out in a way that may be aesthetically unpleasing to some. It has little to do with purity.
Thanks for the response
When I say "pure" I don't mean cleanlines or anything like that. I'm rather hinting towards a spirit where as little as possible of the flavour has been taken out. I also agree with the sentiment expressed above that if you like the spirit then it doesn't matter if it's chillfiltered. However, I have some experience with single malts and I cannot help but feel that chill-filtering can take away some of the "fatty" character in the taste. I do prefer a spirit which is untampered with in this respect but I'm not anal about it. Personally I feel barrier filtering only is the way to go, but I do understand that a large proportion of casual drinkers become worried when their whisky or rum becomes hazy after adding water, ice or served at low temperatures. I'd like to see chill filtering and colouring abolished though.

Edit/added: Wow, you run a distillery? How cool! Is your rum readily available - in Europe?

Last edited by Mr Fjeld; 06-13-2007 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
angelsword

I'm working on a coconut rum today that will require chill filtering. With just normal fluctuations of ambient temperature, small balls of coconut oil can be seen floating in the rum! But if slightly warmed to where the oil blends in then it is more delicious that way.

Probably close to another year before my product will hit the shelves.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
Mr Fjeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsword View Post
I'm working on a coconut rum today that will require chill filtering. With just normal fluctuations of ambient temperature, small balls of coconut oil can be seen floating in the rum! But if slightly warmed to where the oil blends in then it is more delicious that way.

Probably close to another year before my product will hit the shelves.
That's awesome angelsword! I would love to try it when available if I can get hold of it Good luck with your rum/business project!
Old 06-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #9
angelsword

I'll probably be entering some of last year's coconut rum in the tasting competition.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #10
angelsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Caramel is one of those dark secrets that no one wants to talk about, but caramel is generally used to make rums consistent color.
I wonder about why is this procedure "dark". But then I just tried a delicious scotch "Big Smoke" with an extremely light color that no one at the liquor store recommended because of the lack of color. Yet it still had a deep rich flavor!

Last edited by angelsword; 06-16-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions