MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

62 years ago in 1959, Distilerias Unidas, S.A. was established in Venezuela.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses

All of the ingredients in a cocktail contribute to the experience.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:18 AM   #11
JMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goslings View Post
Funny you should post this. I also just bought some 100% Agave Nectar. Was looking for it for a tequila drink and when searching on the net, found lots of positive things to say about it. Lots of doctors recommending as a sugar substitute. Sweater so you use less. It is a little thick but mixes well unlike honey.

I decided to use it in some of my favorite rum cocktails instead of simple syrup. Very very pleased with the results. Without question, it is now going to be a main stay in my bar.
You touched on my other two reasons for getting it; good sugar substitute and mixes well. It has earned a place in the cabinet thats for sure.

Still would like to get my mitts on Depaz or Petite Canne....
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #12
primate77

Jmac - you should find that Petite Canne when you make your pilgramage east and stop at Randall's in Fairview Heights, IL.

If for some reason you don't stop in there, and can't find it, get me an address at your destination, and can always mail you a bottle. It's $9.99 USD around where I live, and plenty in supply at the local store.
primate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:38 PM   #13
JMac

Thanks.....thats much appreciated. As it stands...all systems go for Randalls...
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:17 AM   #14
primate77

Sweet! Don't forget to bring your sherpa (to tote all the bottles you pick up in there, and don't want to put back down)!
Old 05-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #15
Torpnubber

I've been wanting to experiment with Agave Syrup and finally had the chance to pick some up this weekend.

Started with a standard Mojito and I was really happy with the results.
Nice round body without the crystalized sugar aftertaste.

Guess I'll be doing some more experimentation
Torpnubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:03 PM   #16
tym2relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpnubber View Post
I've been wanting to experiment with Agave Syrup and finally had the chance to pick some up this weekend.

Started with a standard Mojito and I was really happy with the results.
Nice round body without the crystalized sugar aftertaste.

Guess I'll be doing some more experimentation
Hey Torp, how much did you use for your Mojito. I have some of the Agave Syrup but have not used it yet.
tym2relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #17
Torpnubber

I had read that agave is about 1 1/2 times sweeter than sugar.

I normally use a little less than a tablespoon for a nice tall mojito so I used about 1/2 tablespoon of agave nectar. I thought the resulting drink needed a bit more sweetness but my wife was happy with her drink.

I'm going to try the same philosophy with a margarita.
But you know the old motto, "If at first you don't succeed....."
Torpnubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:44 AM   #18
primate77

Quote:
but my wife was happy with her drink
That is all that needs to be said. Then, you've found success.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #19
Carbon

The first time I tried this stuff was in a Partida Margarita. No triple sec, just tequila, agave nectar, and lime juice. Very refreshing.
http://www.partidamargarita.com/

Just in the past couple days I remembered this and considered using agave nectar in a variety of rum cocktails, but then read a few things that scared me off. Agave syrup is mostly fructose. These quotes from Wikipedia (if accurate) turn me off a bit to agave syrup and fructose in general, as reading these things doesn't make me think that it goes well with alcohol consumption. Do you think it would beat up your liver even worse than normal? That's what I'm assuming.

~~~
"...but every cell in the body can metabolize glucose. However, all fructose must be metabolized in the liver. The livers of the rats on the high fructose diet looked like the livers of alcoholics, plugged with fat and cirrhotic."

Unlike glucose, fructose is almost entirely metabolized in the liver. "When fructose reaches the liver," says Dr. William J. Whelan, a biochemist at the University of Miami School of Medicine, "the liver goes bananas and stops everything else to metabolize the fructose."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose#Health_effects
~~~

I was going to start off making my first daiquiri-like cocktail with Oronoco, lime, and agave nectar, but now I'm a bit weary.
Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:25 PM   #20
forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
These quotes from Wikipedia (if accurate) turn me off a bit to agave syrup and fructose in general
That was an interesting article and it did give me pause, but when i looked at it thoroughly i would say that your agave nectar is still much better than conventional 'sweeteners' for your body.

Agave nectar's sugar is roughly 75% fructose (avg) a little' higher fructose as an apple (70% avg) or a papaya (60%)-- which shows a higher fructose than say. . . honey (52.7%) or HFCS (55.1% ), or cane syrup (45% avg), while being considerably lower on the glycemic index (and having more calories. . .); so pick your poison.

All this is to show you that if you eat an apple you will die, but if you have high fructose corn syrup you will live a life of undying bliss.... wait a minute....

The fructose differences are important if you have a fructose problem, in which case you probably already knew this stuff..

Agave nectar is considerably sweeter so you would use half as much (or less) than sugar, cutting the fructose impact also in half down to around an onion.

So use whichever sweetener you like. Cane syrup is great in a Daiquiri (but then so is agave syrup, turbinado, maple syrup, honey, demerara, screw it i'm gonna make a daiquiri)...

What i am really trying to say is watch out when you are looking for quick answers, Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) said it best: "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics."

Carbon thank you for making me think so early in the morning, but now i must go and sling booze!!

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses