MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

372 years ago in 1647, there were 120 drinking houses in Bridgetown, Barbados, only 20 years after the first British colony was established on the island.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Off Topic > Where's Ed?
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Where's Ed?

Where ever you drop anchor, after the first drink is served, everyone wants to catch up on the news of friends on boats. Where's ?? is a common question. So to try and answer the question, Where's Ed? here's a clue where you might find me.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:56 PM   #1
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Default On my way to St Thomas

After a few days in Florida to take care of some old business, I'm on my way to St Thomas Sunday to crew on my writing mentor's sailboat back to the east coast of Florida. I hope to get some jpgs uploaded before we leave Charlotte Amalie. Once we leave Charlotte Amalie we'll sail to Culebra to say hello to a few old friends then head out to sea with a course and direction to be determined by the weather. It's going to be good to be underway again.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:46 AM   #2
Troy

It's a tough life you are leading, Ed.
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
Rum Runner

Ed..I'll be working Saturday and Sunday ( sad to say) so I won't be able to hop over for a quick visit...Hope to get the chance to meet up sometime. Fair winds on your way North.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
Dood

I think I need to come up with a plan to eliminate Ed and steal his life...

This weekend I'll be at home, taking the car to the shop, going to the gym, and working on a design spec for a new software app.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
EllenJ

Oh you poor, poor man!
What a terrible life to have to lead, but, if need be, I would be happy to take over for you.
What kind of existence can be had in the Caribbean on $3,000/mo if I own my own boat?

I met you last month when you "sailed" into Huber's Distillery in Indiana for the ADI conference. A fascinating presentation, and one that can't help but leave feelings of... well, green-eyed envy, to tell the truth.

I (along with rum-enjoying wife and 19-year-old grandson) will be in Barbados the last week of August. Do you anticipate being in the area? What can you tell me about the island and what should I not miss? Of course I expect to visit Mount Gay and Foursquare (and West Indies if we can get a tour). Can you recommend someone at those distilleries I could email and arrange a (perhaps better-than-standard) tour with?

I also expect to introduce my grandson to some nightlife, which is why we are staying in a villa on the bay just outside of Saint Lawrence Gap. Now, I know you're a sailor and therefore you are pristine and proper and don't hang out in nightclubs much (okay, it's getting a little thick here; sorry) but do you have recommendations?

Thanks!!
EllenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
Edward Hamilton
Founder

After a thousand miles of sailing from St Thomas to Ft. Pierce, Florida, I'm back to work. Nothing lasts forever.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
Troy

Welcome back, Ed. Not that life here in Florida is all that bad...
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #8
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I won't be in Barbados for a few months. As for distillers, Foursquare is probably the most informative and interesting distillery to visit. Mount Gay is actually a tour of the aging and bottling operation with a short film of the distillery.

The West Indies Rum Refinery, the distiller of Cockspur and a number of other Bajan rums, may have tours which can be arranged through Cockspur. The last time I took the tourist tour we saw the pot and continuous still as well as the aging warehouse.

According to Barbados law bottling must be done at a separate location from distillation to make the tax collector's job easier so you probably won't see everything at one location.

As for nightlife, St Lawrence Gap is the undisputed tourist area of Barbados with a lot going on in a relatively small area. Though Barbados is a safe island use good sense as you would in any city environment.

In the mid 90s, Mount Gay Extra Old was becoming a very popular drink, mixed with ginger ale. Tastes are changing but look for Doorly's 5 year old while you're in Barbados. And don't miss the Bajan rum shops. Friday night fish frys are also a very Bajan staple. Check out Oistins, Holetown and Speightstown.
Ministry of Rum

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Off Topic > Where's Ed?