MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

15 years ago in 2004, Tuthilltown Distillers was established in Gardiner, New York.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
flavorguy

Default Who to complain To

Cyclone,

Yes, you know who to complain to! That being said, I made up well over 100 sample bottles and sampled so many people that I was delirious by the end. It is available in South Dakota from a small distribution company called Cask & Cork Distributing (605.275.4222) so you should be able to get a bottle and try - I would love to know what you think of The Lash.

Robert
flavorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorguy View Post

1. It is made in the Netherlands - the Rum comes from Trinidad & Tobago (West Indies) and is a 4-Year aged Rum with no additives and no added Caramel Color. It appears that people confuse where the Rum is from to where it is produced.
Despite the US regulations that a rum distilled in Trinidad & Tobago and then blended in another country can be claimed to be a product of that country, the fact remains that where the rum is distilled has not changed. In my discussions in the industry the confusion comes from the word 'produced.' The rum is still distilled where it is distilled. The blended or bottled product is produced where it is blended or bottled.

Quote:
4. The reason it is produced in Holland is that we could not find any producers who were willing to do the extraction the way I wanted it done. I played around with alcohol extractions and did not want to add that much "gns" to a Rum product and found that water at a specific temperature got me the best extraction. Most producers wanted to use liquid flavors which I did not want to do. Most spiced rums use very little, if any, real spices and use liquid flavors to get the spice flavor. By law, they have to add real spices to claim it on the label, but I can assure you that I know first hand that many of these producers add a "sprinkle" to a large tank just to claim it on the label - don't get me wrong, some use more than others, but they are few and far between.
"gns" or grain neutral spirits is essentially high proof, more than 195 US proof, alcohol typically used to make vodka, gin and other spirits. In the Caribbean islands no one uses gns for a couple of reasons. First it would have to be imported, as there is no gns being made in the islands, and second, the final product couldn't be called rum if it wasn't made from sugar cane.

Quote:

5. I also know first hand (from my friends in product development at some large companies) that nobody (that I know of) uses aged Rum greater than 1-year to make their spiced rums. I do know of a few (Sailor Jerry's for example) that do use a 1-year aged Rum, but it simply is (a) not cost effective or (b) possible as supply is limited to use anything greater.
Without trying to split hairs, since you state that you don't know of anyone that uses rum aged more than 1 year doesn't necessarily mean that no one uses rum aged more than 1 year to make their spiced rum.

Quote:
I am curious - can you please elaborate on what Spiced Rums (with decent distribution) are out there with aged Rums of at least 2-3 years minimum?
You might be familiar with Captain Morgan, Cruzan 9, Seven Tiki, Foursquare from RL Seale. I'm not going to say that every drop of Captain Morgan is aged more than 2 years, but none of that rum is less than 1 year old.

Quote:

7. We are not a marketing company - if we were, our other product (Voyant Chai - also made with a 3-year Rum) would be huge and everyone would have heard of it.
There are a lot of marketing companies with products that no one has heard of because it takes more than a product to market for the product to be successful. There are also a number of spirits, and rums, that are well known that will never be considered successful.
Quote:

No distillation is done with the spices. they are actually mixed with very hot water (at a specific temperature and quantity) and left to sit for a specific amount of time (After being mixed/agitated) - made up 100+ samples over a 6-month period and this worked the best to get the flavors out of the spices.
Thank you for the explanation of how your product is made.
Quote:
You will see two types of sediments on the bottom of the bottle. (a) real spices and (b) some fatty acids (flocculation) from the aging of the Rum as we do not chill filter the product.

I hope this helps answer any questions others may have and all I ask is that you try the product and compare it to other spiced Rums out there and let me know your thoughts on it. We are not perfect, but we are very happy with the product we put out there and stand behind the quality of it as a Spiced Rum that could be enjoyed in a Rum and Coke and/or Neat or On the Rocks.

Robert
I am confident that you will find that the contributing members of this forum are interested in understanding and appreciating all aspects of every product that is offered for sale. Your contribution has gone a long way toward demystifying The Lash spiced rum. I look forward to reading some reviews.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #13
cycloneX

Quote:
Cyclone,

Yes, you know who to complain to! That being said, I made up well over 100 sample bottles and sampled so many people that I was delirious by the end. It is available in South Dakota from a small distribution company called Cask & Cork Distributing (605.275.4222) so you should be able to get a bottle and try - I would love to know what you think of The Lash.

Robert
Yes it is available here. I have seen it...and I will be getting a bottle. I know Paul Nester, the owner of Cask and Cork very well. I will have to give him a shout and get his thoughts on it too! I will do my research this weekend and get back to you!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:53 AM   #14
Jamie76

I am somewhat intrigued. I'll probably pick some up.
Jamie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #15
flavorguy

Default GNS & Other Issue's

Ed,

To clarify about the GNS comment. The GNS would have been in the extraction (Ed suggested that an extraction with alcohol would have been better) which would have been a flavor and probably would have been done at a flavor company and not at the actual distillery for any number of reasons - most of which would probably have to do with tax and drawback issues.

As for Captain Morgan and them using 2-Year aged rum. Why, if they are using an aged rum, do they not disclose it on the label?? The product is classified as a DSS (Distilled Spirits Specialty) and they have to disclose the ingredients (truthful & accurate statement of composition) on the front label which they do and they make no mention of Aged Rum - only Puerto Rican Rum. As Diageo is the master marketeer in this industry, I cannot imagine that they would pass up any opportunity to get a marketing advantage and not declare anywhere on their label that Captain Morgan was made with an aged rum if it truly was made with an aged rum unless there really is no aged rum in there and the TTB would not allow them to make a false and misleading claim??

Regardless of whether one uses a white rum (with caramel color added) or an aged rum, every person has their own preference and that is why there are so many different types of Rum's and rum products out there. There is no one rum that will please everyone. As for The Lash, we desired a rum profile similar to that of Diplomatico from Venezuela which is our favorite rum - would love to know what others think of Diplomatico as well as The Lash.
flavorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #16
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I've added The Lash to the Ministry of Rum database. As I get more information I'll update the entry.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #17
Gray

Got my bottle today and I like it. It should be known, however, that my spiced rum experience is far lacking in comparison to others, having only had three or four commercial spiced rums and about five home-made /small batch spiced rums.
But...
My immediate reaction when I opened the bottle was "It smells like mulled cider". The spice aromas are very evident and didn't get lost in a wave of alcohol fumes. The rum has a dark reddish caramel color int he bottle, being a bit more golden in the glass, and slowly forms drops on the sides of the glass that fall into some nice legs.

There is definitely some sediment at the bottom (or floating around if you shake it up like i did). It appears to be mostly smallish flakes, for some reason I had been expecting something along the lines of a fine silt. I haven't had any reach the glass yet, but I'm still fresh into he bottle.

The flavor reinforces my association with mulled cider. It reminds me of ciders that I make with rum in the winter. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, maybe some cloves. And, to me anyway, it actually tastes faintly of apple along with a citrusy-orange hint. It's not overly sweet, but at the same time there's no real burn to it, though there's definitely a bite.

With a small amount of chilled water, there was a subtle vanilla, the first time I could actually find vanilla in the rum. With ice I lost it though. It took a good amount of cola (I don't use coke) to overpower the Lash and it made an interestingly tasty Ron Collins.

Overall the potential complaints I have are:

1) I lost the rum flavor a few times, being overwhelmed by the spice. Granted, the intention was to make a rum that was spicey, so this may or may not be a drawback.

2) The cinnamon-y aspect of it may be a bit overwhelming. It felt like I stepped away from vanilla-flavored spiced rums only to walk towards a cinnamon flavored spiced rum. It definitely wasn't to the point of me not wanting to drink the rum. But it was enough to make me want to mention it.

3) The bottle didn't pour easily for the first few glasses. I inevitably lost rum, which is expected, but the first few pours I lost more rum down the side than I would have liked. So.. it's a gripe about the bottle, not the rum.

Other than that. I've enjoyed it. It may overpower some mixed drinks that call for spiced rum, but in simple drinks it seems to work well and add a little twist to the norm. so even with my potential issues, I'm giving it a thumbs up. I like it.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:23 AM   #18
cycloneX

Ok....just got home from the liquor store with my new friend..."The Lash".
This is my first attempt at a written review so... bare with me.

Upon opening the bottle, I see that it has a synthetic rubber stopper.... i find that alot of manufacturers are going away from real cork lately.
The first thing I got before I got it too close to my nose was clove....almost like an strong IPA....when the Hops come out and hit you in the face.

In the glass its a little lighter golden brown than it was in the bottle...very nice legs though.... and as Gray said, a little spillage from the bottle.

Ok.... nose from the glass is more CLOVE... im getting a little burnt cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg..... maybe a little of the bourbon vanilla.

The taste is.... different....sweet initially, then on to a spicy clove and cinnamon freight train. Kinda almost lost the Rum in the spiciness. I didnt get any vanilla at all up front...but just a hint after swallowing.

The lingering after taste takes me back to being a kid... when Id make cinnamon toothpicks...and youd chew on them toooo long.... you get that cinnamon/wood taste that stayed in your mouth. There is alot of oak from the aging and alot of spice that might not need to be there...almost overpowering the thing I drink Rum for...RUM!

Overall...its not a bad Rum by ANY means...I like it!! Its a different take on Rum and thats a GOOD thing!! Cuz if it was all the same we'd all be pretty bored!!
Oh.... and a side note..... my fiancee says it tastes like the little red cinnamon bears made by Brachs candy.

Gregg.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:31 AM   #19
Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycloneX View Post
Ok.... nose from the glass is more CLOVE... im getting a little burnt cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg..... maybe a little of the bourbon vanilla.
Everytime I hit a point where I thought "Now THAT was clove" I'd get hit with the cinnamon again
Old 06-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #20
cycloneX

Quote:
Ed,

As for The Lash, we desired a rum profile similar to that of Diplomatico from Venezuela which is our favorite rum - would love to know what others think of Diplomatico as well as The Lash.
Well...you have a good Rum here. That being said...if it was Diplomatico you were goin for.... ya missed.
We drank about half the bottle of The Lash last nite before I couldnt do the clove/cinnamon kick anymore.
Its smooth..no burn, I could barely sense any alcohol, but the spice really kicks your palates ass!

I really enjoy a Rum that leaves me chasing that elusive flavor that I cant put my finger on....I dont like to be clubbed over the head with it.

BUT... overall...its good. Its one of those rums that will be called upon at a certain time for a certain occasion and it will be great.
Maybe its an Xmas Rum......

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions