MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

117 years ago in 1903, In 1903, the Serralles family installed the first continuous rum still in Puerto Rico.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet > Arctic Wolf
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Default Reviews of Kōloa Kaua`i Hawaiian Rums

Review: Kōloa Kaua`i Gold Hawaiian Rum

My introduction to the Kōloa Rum Company’s Hawaiian rums was at Rum Renaissance in Miami, Florida. The Kōloa Dark Rum won a Gold Medal at the festival in the Rum XP Tasting Competition, and this was my first clue that something special might be happening in Hawaii. A gold medal rum, produced by a company which was just beginning to spread its wings…. I decided to investigate.

After contacting the Kōloa Rum Company, I was sent samples of their entire range for my review. I decided to start the review series with the Kōloa Kaua`i Gold Hawaiian Rum.

Here is an Excerpt from my review:

“…A surprising mild flavour is the initial impression I received when I sipped the gold rum for the first time. Again the flavour of the Gay and Robinson crystallized sugar comes though very clearly. It is a honeyed, caramel flavour which is sweet and inviting. Citrus zest, and light peppery spices follow with perhaps a little plantain or banana in the mid palate…”

You may Read the Full Review Here:

Review:Kōloa Kaua`i Gold Hawaiian Rum

Last edited by Arctic Wolf; 08-26-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Arctic Wolf

Default Review: Kōloa Kaua`i White Hawaiian Rum

Kōloa Kaua`i White Hawaiian Rum is a white rum produced fresh from a 1210 gallon copper pot still with no barrel aging. The actual base material for the distillation is not molasses, but rather the Gay and Robinson Plantation crystallized sugar. I am told that the sugar has a higher than normal molasses content, and having been given a sample of the raw sugar, indeed it carries forward a wonderful molasses aroma. From this distillate, and using the vintage copper pot still, all of the Kōloa Rum is made in a batch style. The resulting white rum is about as pure as rum can be, bottled fresh with no barrel aging.

This style of rum is unusual for me to taste and sample as most white rums I have reviewed here on my blog are aged rums which have been filtered clear. The fact that this rum is bottled fresh means that we are getting a glimpse into the unaged and unaltered structure of Kōloa Rums.

Here is a link to the review in the MOR Database:

Review: Kōloa Kaua`i White Hawaiian Rum
Old 09-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Arctic Wolf

Default Review: Kōloa Kaua`i Dark Hawaiian Rum

The Kōloa Rum Company had been ‘up and rumming’ for only a little more than a year,and I decided I had better get to know their rums a little better. After I emailed my information request, I was contacted by Jeanne Toulon, Director of Public Relations, for the Kōloa Rum Company. Jeanne was only too happy to help me out and soon deluged me with news clippings, a cool video and as much information as she could stuff into the large brown envelope that she sent my way. (I was even given a small sample of the crystallized brown sugar from the Gay and Robinson Plantation which is the basic raw material from which all of the Kōloa Rum is distilled. )

Her generosity also extended to a sample bottle of each of the rums in the Kōloa range to review at my leisure here on my blog. Sadly I have come to the last of these sample bottles, happily it is a sample of the Kōloa Kaua`i Dark Hawaiian Rum.

Here is an excerpt from my review:

“…The rum is gentle and brings forward initial flavours of vanilla, dark molasses, and sweet caramel. A layer of hotter spices lies underneath and warms the mouth. In particular I seem to get a nice accent of cloves which brings about a certain depth of flavour…”

Here is a Link:

Review: Kōloa Kaua`i Dark Hawaiian Rum

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet > Arctic Wolf