MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

109 years ago in 1911, Arecibo played an important production role in the Puerto Rico rum industry, as it was home to the Puerto Rico Distilling Co., founded in 1911.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas

From real fruit to the worst synthetic flavors what do you like and how do you drink it?

Old 02-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
RumBarPhilly

Default New Orleans Cajun Spiced

I just had a colleague bring me a bottle of their 10 year old (which is really only 8 years old) and their spiced.

The 10 year old was good at best, but the Cajun Spiced was terriffic!! Light aromas of gingerbread. Once you taste it, its LOADED with gingerbread. Im going to need to compare this side by side with Montecristo Spiced to pick out the bettter. (If I had Foursquare, that would join the party)
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
bluewave6

I also had a friend who picked me up a bottle of the Cajun Spiced rum. They knew I collected rum but were not sure which one of the NO rums to bring back for me.,...since they also know that I love hot/spicy food they opted for the Cajun Spiced after reading it had cayene in it. I was not really thinking I was going to like it since I am not a huge fan of spiced rum, but after trying some of it...WOW...next to Sailor Jerry or Four Square this is a spiced rum I could keep around. Love the faded burn in the finish from the cayene.
bluewave6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
RumBarPhilly

I didnt taste the cayenne. I didnt have a lot of it, just a nibble. Perhaps Ill have a few tomorrow with my wednesday tastings at the bar.
Philadelphia, PA
Old 02-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
bluewave6

The Cajun Spiced rum I had had a red label. The label on mine also mentioned the use of cayene in the mix. The one thing that I really enjoyed about this rum is the fact that it was 40% and did not have the traditional syrupy feel that some of the other spiced rums have.

One of the other spiced rums I recently stumbled upon was Panama Jack which was rather good. I did not expect much but figured I would give it a try since it was only about $15 so I figured what the heck. Turned out to be a decent addition to my limited spiced rum collection.
bluewave6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
RumBarPhilly

We had a tasting of the Cajun Spiced and the 10 Year Old tonight.

The Cajun Spiced did in fact have a nice cayenne burn in the finish, very tasty! The overwhelming taste of gingerbread was delightful. One guest's quote "It tastes like December" another guest commented on it being poured over Vanilla ice cream.

In the Flavored Rum category, on a scale of 1-10 (1=Malibu Banana ugh, and 10= something ive never had) I give this rum a 9. Delicious and I will be back for more!

The 10 Year Old was interesting. It had a nice citrusy nose, but thats where the fruitiness ended. Tastes of old oak echoed throughout. Nice complexity, it almost became a new rum half way through the swig. The finish was a bit abrupt. After adding an ice cube or two, it opened up nicely and remained a strong pot still rum.

In the Anejo Rum category, on a scale of 1-10 (1=Grand Havana, and 10=Ang 1824, Pyrat Cask, RZ23, etc) I give this rum a 3. Im not particularly fond of old oaky pot still rums, but I can see why some will like this rum. As assured by Ben Gersh, the GM of Old New Orleans, it is in fact a 10 year old rum. This is apparent from its heavy oaky flavors.
Philadelphia, PA
Old 06-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
Old New Orleans Rum

Default Just for a bit of clarification

Our Ten year old is totally and completely made of a 17 barrel blend of ten year old rums. By law you can not put an age on any liquor unless the youngest barrel is that age. After receiving 9 feet of water post Katrina we managed to rescue these barrels and blend them before they had a chance to be put in harms way again. We barrel at full proof - approx 185 proof. which is what gives our products a great deal of the oak florals and whisky/bourbon flavor.

We would love to have you both down to the distillery sometime soon for some drinks and a tour of our facility. Just drop me a line if you are interested!
Old New Orleans Rum is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas